PDA

View Full Version : Looking over left arm ( non-serving arm) at target during serve motion

Taimur
10-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Recently, while practicing my serve, i noticed that each time i focused my eyes briefly at the target prior to assuming the 'trophy position' i tended to hit more accurate serves and with more pace also. In some sense, i 'peep' over my left arm while initiating the back swing with the racquet. Does this really help in serves, or is it just a redundant thing? I see some players do it, but i am really not sure....any advice would be highly appreciated..:D

Oleg
10-13-2007, 12:17 AM
Once you are starting to toss the ball there is no looking at anything but the ball. The idea is that a precise toss (to the same location) + same contact point on the ball + same swing direction + same swing speed will put the ball on the target every time. The goal is to perfect all of the above, starting with the toss.

It also sounds like you motion is driven by your hitting arm but it shold be the tossing arm that drives and starts everything.

A good example of players with a very simple and effective service motion are Williams sisters. There are videos of pro players avaialble on the web that you can play frame by frame and learn from.

WildVolley
10-13-2007, 07:21 AM
I disagree with Oleg. I think most pros have an idea of what the opponent is doing after the toss, even if they're just picking something up with their peripheral vision.

Several times I've caught my opponent jumping early as I'm in my trophy position and I was able to hit to the other side of the box for an easy ace. I've seen Federer do the same thing several times, so he is somehow watching his opponent. I say use the peek.

cghipp
10-13-2007, 07:46 AM
I think a savvy opponent will be able to pick up this "tell" and predict where you're serving the ball, just as some people can't help but look down the line before they hit there.

WildVolley
10-13-2007, 09:39 AM
I think a savvy opponent will be able to pick up this "tell" and predict where you're serving the ball, just as some people can't help but look down the line before they hit there.

LOL. I didn't read the first post carefully enough. You're correct. If you can actually hit where you are looking, you'd have an easy serve to read. It's best to keep the opponent guessing as to where the ball is going to go.