PDA

View Full Version : SPPP tension loss

shintan17
10-12-2007, 08:59 PM
I just started using the SPPP 17 in my Dunlop M-Fil 200 Plus 2006. I was very happy the way it played for probably first 4-5 days (2-3 hours a day), then all of a sudden, the string feels like dead. No pops, feels, absolutely NOTHING!! Is this normal? If you look at the back of package, it says that the SPPP holds the tension better than most strings in the market including the gut. Last 2 days, I was playing with it, and almost all of balls I hit landed inside or close to the service line because I couldn't generate any power, but spins. I am thinking to cut it off, but it's been only about 10 days=20-25 hours of playing time at 3.5-4.0 level.

HedwigEMK
10-13-2007, 05:49 AM
Before SPPP, how long did u feel ur GUT or Nylon or Multi lost tension?

shintan17
10-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Before SPPP, how long did u feel ur GUT or Nylon or Multi lost tension?

I was using Gamma LW Professional and usually played great for probably same amount or a bit longer of time. I've also used the Prince Synthetic Gut w/Duraflex, but the durability was so poor I had to stop using, though it played really great.

Gmedlo
10-13-2007, 12:20 PM
That's poly for you. The "holds as well as gut" comment is absolutely BS. If you want poly to play well for longer than a week it has to be strung very very low, by which point using poly is counterintuative.

nickb
10-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Poly goes dead quick....if you plan to use it I would recommend getting a stringer and cutting it out once a week. SPPP is not expensive and you can get a stringing machine for under $150. Ive found polys to only play well for 4-8 hours...they are then
unplayable for me.

If you have a stringing machine its simple....restring once a week.

Nick

snoflewis
10-13-2007, 01:22 PM
sppp does lose tension rather quickly....3-5 days is pretty good...mine lose tension after 2-3 hours lol.

krprunitennis2
10-13-2007, 01:43 PM
yeah, same here -_- SPPP loses tension fast for me. after a day, the strings aren't really "dead" but you really feel the difference. then 2 more days then it's dead. =S

shintan17
10-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Poly goes dead quick....if you plan to use it I would recommend getting a stringer and cutting it out once a week. SPPP is not expensive and you can get a stringing machine for under $150. Ive found polys to only play well for 4-8 hours...they are then
unplayable for me.

If you have a stringing machine its simple....restring once a week.

Nick

Yeah, I have the stringing machine....in fact, the string broke today. I will just probably buy the reel soon as it played unbelievable for first 2-3 days. As much as I like some of cheap synthetic guts, they don't last long AT ALL, so once a week is fine for me.

shintan17
10-13-2007, 06:26 PM
sppp does lose tension rather quickly....3-5 days is pretty good...mine lose tension after 2-3 hours lol.

If it becomes dead in 2-3 hours, why is it that everyone likes so much about? :)

Midlife crisis
10-13-2007, 07:43 PM
If it becomes dead in 2-3 hours, why is it that everyone likes so much about? :)

There's a difference between tension loss and loss of elasticity, which is what most people associate with a string "going dead". I hit the ball pretty hard and find that SPPP lasts about 35-40 hours before loss of elasticity becomes a problem, but the tension loss occurs almost entirely in the first few hours of play and then stabilizes for the rest of its life.

Gmedlo
10-13-2007, 07:47 PM

Because they are all ignorant babolat users that like the feel of kevlar. :p

shintan17
10-13-2007, 08:00 PM
There's a difference between tension loss and loss of elasticity, which is what most people associate with a string "going dead". I hit the ball pretty hard and find that SPPP lasts about 35-40 hours before loss of elasticity becomes a problem, but the tension loss occurs almost entirely in the first few hours of play and then stabilizes for the rest of its life.

It broke today anyway after about a week. I don't think you hit the ball THAT hard if you can play with it for 35-40 hours :) I only played with it for 2-3 hours a day for a week, so not even good 20 hours. Then, again it all depends on how you play as well. If you hit the ball flat, the string seems to last longer. One of my friends uses FULL Luxilon BB Original @ 60 lbs for his ntour 90 (I feel sorry for his arm), and he breaks it like every 2-3 days...insane.

Midlife crisis
10-13-2007, 09:09 PM
It broke today anyway after about a week. I don't think you hit the ball THAT hard if you can play with it for 35-40 hours :) I only played with it for 2-3 hours a day for a week, so not even good 20 hours. Then, again it all depends on how you play as well. If you hit the ball flat, the string seems to last longer. One of my friends uses FULL Luxilon BB Original @ 60 lbs for his ntour 90 (I feel sorry for his arm), and he breaks it like every 2-3 days...insane.

Well, I hit with about a dozen other TT'ers so they're probably better at answering whether or not I hit hard, but I definitely hit it with a lot of spin too.

Unless someone is playing in clay or has a very widely spaced stringbed and strung at low tension, or the stringer did not do a good job, it is just not possible to break poly in just a few hours from wear. You can shear it and break it, or you can pinch it during stringing and break it, but poly just does not wear like that. People who say this probably want to give the impression that they're monster tennis players.

When was the last time you saw Nadal break a string?

shintan17
10-13-2007, 11:29 PM
Well, I hit with about a dozen other TT'ers so they're probably better at answering whether or not I hit hard, but I definitely hit it with a lot of spin too.

Unless someone is playing in clay or has a very widely spaced stringbed and strung at low tension, or the stringer did not do a good job, it is just not possible to break poly in just a few hours from wear. You can shear it and break it, or you can pinch it during stringing and break it, but poly just does not wear like that. People who say this probably want to give the impression that they're monster tennis players.

When was the last time you saw Nadal break a string?

Well...I am not, but my friend actually plays like a monster. He is 6'2 and looks like Monfils :)

I broke mine due to my laziness and poor techniques that I hit the balls with upper part of the racquet quite often (I swing hard, though), and that's how it usually breaks. I didn't say I break the poly in a few hours, but 20-30 hours sound long enough. Monsters like my friend break it within 15 hours.

volusiano
10-13-2007, 11:58 PM
I use SPPP 17L on my Prince O3 Tour and it lasted me 50 hrs last time before it broke. The tension dropped 5% after the first 10 hrs of play, then held flat until 30 hrs of play before dropping another 10%, then broke at 50 hrs of play. I didn't feel it go dead the whole time. But perhaps between 40-50 hrs of play, it's not as fresh as new. But still very playable. I use an ERT300 to track my dynamic tension about every other session of play. So it's not like I was guessing in the wind.

gjoc
10-14-2007, 02:07 AM
I use SPPP 17L on my Prince O3 Tour and it lasted me 50 hrs last time before it broke. The tension dropped 5% after the first 10 hrs of play, then held flat until 30 hrs of play before dropping another 10%, then broke at 50 hrs of play. I didn't feel it go dead the whole time. But perhaps between 40-50 hrs of play, it's not as fresh as new. But still very playable. I use an ERT300 to track my dynamic tension about every other session of play. So it's not like I was guessing in the wind.

Similar experience here...

Drops about 8% the first 24 hrs (without hitting a single ball), then drops another 7% after the first few days or a week, with maybe two hours of play, for a total drop of 15%, but then it stabilizes and barely drops at all after that.

vinnier6
10-14-2007, 05:55 AM
i play twice a week and sppp last me around 3 months.....

NLBwell
10-14-2007, 07:36 AM
I have mine (SPPP Pure 17) hybrided with Alpha Gut 2000. I always wait a day or so before hitting with a string and then have a light hitting session hitting flat shots to break it in and before playing seriously with it to get the strings seated (a tip from a pro a long time ago). I basically felt no tension loss in my SPPPP before the cross string broke.

rooski
10-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Similar experience here...

Drops about 8% the first 24 hrs (without hitting a single ball), then drops another 7% after the first few days or a week, with maybe two hours of play, for a total drop of 15%, but then it stabilizes and barely drops at all after that.

This is my experience as well. I love the stuff. It doesn't go dead like first gen polys but it does seem to loose a tiny bit of it's liveliness after about 15-20 hours of playing. I don't believe this is tension loss necessarily but rather just a break down of the material. I haven't found a better poly...especially for the money.

I also think SPPP responds better to the "slow pull" setting rather than the fast pull setting on high end electric constant pull machines.

gjoc
10-14-2007, 11:23 AM
This is my experience as well. I love the stuff. It doesn't go dead like first gen polys but it does seem to loose a tiny bit of it's liveliness after about 15-20 hours of playing. I don't believe this is tension loss necessarily but rather just a break down of the material. I haven't found a better poly...especially for the money.

I also think SPPP responds better to the "slow pull" setting rather than the fast pull setting on high end electric constant pull machines.

Agreed, and I think you’re right on target wrt pull speed--good point.

shintan17
10-14-2007, 11:26 AM

Yeah, the only reason I have switched back to the poly again (before I was using the Babolat PH Tour) is that I hope to get a better durability and longer playing time with it. I loved using cheap synthetics like the PSGD, or even Gosen OG Micro, but they tend to break too often (sometimes doesn't even last a day), so I was kinda sick of restringing the racquet everyday or so, even I have my stringing machine.