PDA

View Full Version : Backhand Slice!!!!

MasturB
10-13-2007, 02:01 AM
Grrr. This is the only real groundstroke that I can't seem to get right.

Everytime I try to hit one, it's always a popup/unintentional lob.

Why in the world does this keep happening?

I have an ok 1-hand backhand, and a consistent forehand, but I just can't seem to figure out the backhand slice.

I use contintental, but I still keep popping it up.

Sometimes I can hit a sidespin slice backhand but my motion feels very awkard. I'm trying to hit a low line drive slice backhand.

I really am trying to learn this shot because my 1hbh on high shots isn't that effective (in terms of pace).

When I try to hit a 1hslicebh on the run, it always goes WIDE left AND up.

paulfreda
10-13-2007, 03:46 AM
The most common error in hitting a slice is just moving the racquet from high to low. Actually the proper technique is to have more forward motion than high to low.
Think of it as a reverse of a topspin drive. You close the face slightly and drive the face toward the target while going low to high.
So open the face slightly and drive the strings toward target while moving high to low.
This should give you better results.
Be sure to put in the hours of practive needed to get it down.
Good luck.

ananda
10-13-2007, 04:36 AM
the issue i think here is the high bh slice. its almost impossible (for me, too) to put forward movement into it along with high to low.
if i use a high to low, it just plops into the net, or just beyond -- a sitting duck.

i have tried giving it a wristy whack, but then thats not a slice at all, it can push the ball a bit deep, but its still easy to smash back.

and lets just assume at this point there's no stepping back, and its too late to run forward and take the ball on the rise.

Seifersquall1
10-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Make sure to slice through the ball with a forward motion.

MasturB
10-14-2007, 12:27 AM
Make sure to slice through the ball with a forward motion.

Kind of hard to do when you're on the run.

JackSkellington
10-14-2007, 12:58 AM
if you're on the run, it's sort of a cupping motion...

hmm I should record a video or something

Oxford
10-14-2007, 02:29 AM
LOL I think you will need to find another avatar until you get that slice...considering FED is the KINGof the BH slice :grin:

AceofBase
10-14-2007, 06:37 AM
Just tap the ball and then slice it, make sure the racket face is facing above the net. This will help get the ball more straight and low. I think the racket is head is facing up to high or your slicing it way to below the ball with the head of the racket facing up to high.

fx101
10-14-2007, 10:14 AM
I find you have to get the right idea about what you are going to do in order to get it right. Some people have this idea in their head that they have to slice the sh*t out of the ball to get a good slice :p. No... In reality think about chipping the ball a bit and moving through the ball. Your swingpath should be a line going down about 30-45 degrees depending on the amount of spin you wish to impart. When you get good, it should be more curve like. Remember!! Don't try to flail your wrist around. Some people think you have to flick the racquet around the ball. This is why it goes UP. Instead, just have your wrist straighten out (i.e. racquet angle approaches vertical) smoothly throughout the shot. Sometimes the wrist can even remain stiff throughout the shot.

Edit: and if you are on the run it should be just like a flat one handed backhand except you flick your wrist down to get underspin and lift the ball up. Should be like a cupping tilted "J" like motion.

Zets147
10-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Get some Wilson Reaction. You'll thank me. Actually.. I can hit a good slice off any strings, but I hit my best ones with Reaction. Do it.

Hot Sauce
10-14-2007, 12:14 PM

Everything is harder to do on the run, but that doesn't mean you can't do it.

VaBeachTennis
10-14-2007, 01:38 PM

Not if you run at an angle toward the ball. If the ball is past you and you are on the run, then that "sacrifice slice" may be your only option at that point.

MasturB
10-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Everything is harder to do on the run, but that doesn't mean you can't do it.

Which exactly why I said "kind of hard to do",not "it's impossible to do".

Thanks for the very helpful wisdom though, I feel much closer to finally hitting that slice.

MasturB
10-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Not if you run at an angle toward the ball. If the ball is past you and you are on the run, then that "sacrifice slice" may be your only option at that point.

You're always running at an angle towards hte ball, whether that's 180, 90, or 45.

Now it's much easier to run an "angle" towards the ball in the front court on a short depth ball.

I'm definitely not talking about a sacrifice slice.

MasturB
10-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Get some Wilson Reaction. You'll thank me. Actually.. I can hit a good slice off any strings, but I hit my best ones with Reaction. Do it.

I'm using Big Banger ALU.

Bagumbawalla
10-14-2007, 03:35 PM
If you are hitting the ball too high above the net it is because you racket face is way to "open". The racket head should be nearly perpendicular to the court surface at impact. It is a psychological reaction to see the net as this looming obsticle and then try to hit up on the ball. That is wrong. Try to "aim" the ball about a foot over the net.

Also, PaulFreda is correct. The stroke should be long and flowing, THROUGH the ball, not just a hack or chop.

And yes it can be difficult to hit on the run, or at any other time, if you are not prepared and have not practiced the stroke until it is second nature. Normally, this is the case- there are few "easy" fixes. 9 out of 10 times the answers to these questions involve long hours of practice.

Good luck

daddy.dirtsurfer
10-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Nothing to do with the string, it's your technique.

johnny ballgame
10-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Obvious missing tip on an effective slice so far... Finish High! The swingpath is high-low-high.

Another helpful tip is the takeback: Short takeback, racket straight up (perpendicular to the ground), racket face facing the net (that part is key).

Study Haas in slo-mo... good luck!

Breakaz54z
10-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Also another point, is to make contact with the ball at the back or bottom back rather than under. If you watch videos of Federer, Henin, or anyone slicing for the matter, they tend to make contact at the back or bottom back of the ball. Be sure to keep your racket face at around a 45 degree angle too. This will allow the ball to stay low and bounce low as well. I also tend to keep my wrist solid when I follow through. Though sometimes I let it become loose after contact.

As for slicing on the run, it depends on where the ball is when you make contact to me. If the ball is low and about to hit the ground, I tend to slice low to middle/high and get under the ball. A lot of times I end up putting side spin on it, but it stays low and doesn't sit high over the net.

If the ball is middle/high, the normal way of slicing the ball (high to low, through the ball, racket at a 45 degree angle) will do the job. Though you may want to get under the ball a little more if the ball is below chest height in my opinion.. all depends. I'm 5'4" so I do it to get more net clearance.

Finally, I would try crouching lower in the stance you use so that the ball is about eye level if you make contact with the ball below chest height whether you are on the run or have time to prep the slice. This will help you aim the ball better and reduce chances of making an error

These are just tips to try in practice. Remember to practice often so that these motions become second nature rather than having to think about it. If anyone one else has anything to add or need to correct me, please do! Good luck and keep practicing, practicing, practicing! You'll get down that slice soon enough!