PDA

View Full Version : Working on swing & _serve_ (I'm left handed)

Eph
10-13-2007, 01:25 AM
Well, being left handed in a right handed world surely isn't optimal. Especially when you learn to play tennis with righties.

I played baseball (left handed) and was a pitcher and have fairly good technique and can pitch in the upper 80s. I doubt my serves ever hit 70 (I play tennis with my right hand).

Are there any drills I can do in bed (I am somewhat laid up, or will be in a week or two) to simulate the motions of serving and swinging so I can be more fluid with my right hand?

I heard some people use footballs for practice (as people do in baseball practice since the football is heavier than a baseball), but I heard this was to give more powerful and it follows a similar pattern.

Ideas?

BeHappy
10-13-2007, 06:40 AM
why in god's name, with that kind of pitch, are you playing right handed?you know that a lefty with a good serve is everone's worst nightmare don't you?

Eph
10-13-2007, 06:49 AM
I've read that it takes some time for opponents to get used to, but I've been playing my whole life right handed (granted no more than 5 months). How the hell am I suppose to train myself to be able to hit the ball with my left hand? And where am I going to find a coach who can teach me left handed?

BeHappy
10-13-2007, 06:57 AM
I've read that it takes some time for opponents to get used to, but I've been playing my whole life right handed (granted no more than 5 months). How the hell am I suppose to train myself to be able to hit the ball with my left hand? And where am I going to find a coach who can teach me left handed?

5 months?Just in time!!A couple of months more and it would be too late.I garuntee you that after a couple of days your lefty serve will be incredible, I say this because you have such a powerful pitch and it is a very transferable skill.

It's actually great that you are laid up for a while because you will unlearn your righty strokes.

Any coach will teach you left handed, in some very rare cases a coach will try and force you to play with your wrong hand because they are lazy, just move on to another coach, seriously.

Play lefty with a two handed backhand might ease the progression as you will only have to learn the forehand then.

It doesn't take people 'a while' to figure it out, they won't figure it out unless they play you a couple of times.It's especially effective when you're playing against a guy with a two hander, which all your opponents probably will, because they have crap reach and with a bit of slice you'll hit a lot of aces.

this is goran ivanisevic, he hit similar mph's to Sampras but was left handed, he used to hit 500 more aces a year than Sampras and averaged 2 aces a game in wimbledon.Plus a couple of unreturnable serves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aRqwMNupYk

shojun25
10-13-2007, 08:56 AM
http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/index.php?col=260823

The server/ instructor is left handed, and I think he posts here sometimes. Great instructions on how to serve. I am left handed too and I think its a great instructional video on serving basics.

Eph
10-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Alright then, why not?

Next year I'll be at Harvard so I guess I can play on the intramural team - that's my goal at least.

Anything I can do for the next few months when I'm not allowed on the court with a racquet/weights to work on technique and flow?

Anyone have an idea the correlation between pitching speed and serving speed? When I closed games, I'd throw 90-92 with a two seam grip (four seam got the same but less motion), but since I was a starter I was usually throwing 87-89 two seam, 80-83 changeup, and a few mph less for a 9 to 4 curve, and much slower for a 12 to 6 curve(makes me think of first and second serves). Just curious if I'll break 100mph if I can actually get the technique down.

The problem I find with youtube is the ball is moving so fast it is hard to see. Does anyone have any high quality movies (I don't mind buying them)? I guess I can start tonight by taking a bucket of balls and hitting them.

Thanks.

Eph
10-13-2007, 01:05 PM
I've been watching some of Goran's games. He certainly isn't at the level of Federer so I won't compare the two however he has A LOT of double faults in that Wibl. match. Is that normal for a lefty to have many double faults? Or does it have to do with him?

koopa_troopa
10-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Are you going to be playing college level baseball or anything? If you are, you might want to save your left hand and shoulder for pitching and right for tennis. You wouldn't want to injure your good arm playing in an intramural tennis league and end your baseball season as well.

Eph
10-13-2007, 09:26 PM
No, I am pretty much done with baseball. The good thing about tennis is you can play for your lifetime, in baseball, if you don't get recruited in your teens, you're done.

Not to mention, as much as I love pitching, I love playing tennis more.