PDA

View Full Version : How to hit a HEAVY ball

lemoneatrz
10-13-2007, 01:22 PM
How can i make it hard on my opponent by hitting a heavy ball? by "heavy", i mean, it feels really hard to hit back on his/her side. I hit with a western forehand and a easter backhand with the AeroPro Drive. I dont know if it is the spin or if i need a heavy racquet to generate more umph.

what is it?

krprunitennis2
10-13-2007, 01:35 PM
I think it's both pace and heavy spin. The coach in our school uses a heavy racket, I don't know how heavy it is, but it's pretty heavy (I don't think it's >360 swingweight since he looks like the coach could handle that). But I use a "heavier" racket than most people in my school and I still don't hit really heavy.

Is it more of technique, perhaps?

xD and just asking. If the ball is deep, would that count as being heavy?

NoBadMojo
10-13-2007, 01:44 PM
How can i make it hard on my opponent by hitting a heavy ball? by "heavy", i mean, it feels really hard to hit back on his/her side. I hit with a western forehand and a easter backhand with the AeroPro Drive. I dont know if it is the spin or if i need a heavy racquet to generate more umph.

what is it?

Use a heavy racquet and swing it fast using good technique and create a bunch of spin and ballspeed and you will hit a heavy ball. easier said than done. unless you are at the 4.5 or greater, i would suggest you concentrate on things other than hitting a 'heavy ball'

lemoneatrz
10-13-2007, 01:50 PM
I think it's both pace and heavy spin. The coach in our school uses a heavy racket, I don't know how heavy it is, but it's pretty heavy (I don't think it's >360 swingweight since he looks like the coach could handle that). But I use a "heavier" racket than most people in my school and I still don't hit really heavy.

Is it more of technique, perhaps?

xD and just asking. If the ball is deep, would that count as being heavy?

deep balls do seem heavier and i am not sure if mine are heavy because i just hit with a lot of spin. its not too fast on the pace. i was just thinking that if if go heavier taht 11.3oz on my racquet that it would make a heavier ball!

i dont know about technique, i have a whippy FH and BH

lemoneatrz
10-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Use a heavy racquet and swing it fast using good technique and create a bunch of spin and ballspeed and you will hit a heavy ball. easier said than done. unless you are at the 4.5 or greater, i would suggest you concentrate on things other than hitting a 'heavy ball'

so if i can swing a heavier racquet (lead up my APD) at the same speed and spin it is now, it will be a heavier ball? i am not sure if i am a 4.5. The NTRP is soo broad that i can never be sure.

what should i concentrate on other than a heavy ball?

Shashwat
10-13-2007, 02:02 PM
The ball has to have a lot of pace and spin. That means hitting the ball with as much topspin as you can and driving through it for pace.

lemoneatrz
10-13-2007, 02:35 PM
The ball has to have a lot of pace and spin. That means hitting the ball with as much topspin as you can and driving through it for pace.

what would having just alot of spin do?

would you say that nadal hits a heavy ball?

Shashwat
10-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Having a lot of spin would just make the ball go up and then come down to bounce high in same place it makes contact with the court. If you drive through it with enough pace and spin the ball pops up towards the player recieving the ball, and because it is popping up at them with heavy spin and pace, it is harder to hit back with heavy spin and pace.

And yes, ofcourse Nadal hits heavy balls. All his forehand strokes are "heavy balls."

Bagumbawalla
10-13-2007, 02:40 PM
The weight and balance of the racket has a very small effect in the creation of a "heavy" ball. Most of the effect is generated through good technique- getting your weight moving forward through the ball, hitting THROUGH the ball (not just "brushing up" the back of it), hitting the ball in the center of the strings, fast racket head spead, making contact with the ball when all the motions are at their peak. If you have trouble doing that with a mediun weight racket, you may hit even worse with a heavier racket.

Don't expect to start hitting heavy balls any time soon, but you might as well start practicing now if you want to hit that heavy ball in, say a few moths, or so.

Start by just trying to hit the ball deep- say 3' from the baseline. When you can hit around 10 balls in a row into a hula-hoop sized circle near the baseline, then start to add some speed to the ball. The extra speed will make the ball sail out unless you drive the ball closer to the net OR add topspin to keep it in. In this case you want a strong balance of foreward speed AND topspin.

Too much topspin and not enough forward speed and you get a moonball. Fast, but with very little top, you have a "flat" ball.

So you need to find the right technique and mix of forces-- keep the ball deep, hit it with maximun force and use topspin to keep it in the court. Sounds easy, but you will have to practice, practice, practice to get everything right.

You will know you have succeded when players start massaging their hand after playing with you for a half hour or so.

For the time being, I suggest that you concentrate during your match on just keeping the ball deep, playing percentages, getting balls back, moving the opponent around and changing your pace and spin to mix things up. Use topspin and slice wisely. Wait for a short ball or a misplaced shot, then move in and go for your placement.

tbini87
10-13-2007, 03:00 PM

yes, nadal hits a very heavy ball. i think a heavy ball means having depth, spin, and pace. you don't necessarily need to hit lasers to hit a heavy ball. i would work on depth and spin, and let the pace come with time. a heavier racquet could help with that, because of stability and plow through. having a lot of spin keeps your opponent deep behind the baseline, and usually makes them take the ball on the rise because it will hop up higher than a flat ball.

Rickson
10-13-2007, 04:28 PM

A ball with a lot of topspin and minimal pace is definitely not heavy. The ball has to have a lot of pace to be considered heavy and I'd go so far as to say that a ball with minimal spin and a lot of pace is much heavier than a ball with a lot of spin and medium pace.

bagung
10-13-2007, 04:34 PM
GONZALES hits heavy FH

Mr. Blond
10-13-2007, 05:20 PM
the best way to sum up a heavy ball is that the ball pushes its way through your string bed on contact. That is because of two factors.....pace of the ball created with proper technique, and topspin produced by fast racquet head speed, and good penetration with the stroke. The grip is not as big a factor as technique.

If you use the kinetic chain to your advantage, you WILL GENERATE a heavy ball.

Rui
10-13-2007, 09:08 PM
"Heavy" was first used to describe unexpected power. It is also a term used to describe a lot of topspin. If you didn't know how it was first used, you'd assume it was just a topspin term. The point is: same word, two different uses. Don't try to blend the two into one definition.

BeHappy
10-13-2007, 09:33 PM
"Heavy" was first used to describe unexpected power.

That's completely wrong I'm sorry.

It is also a term used to describe a lot of topspin. If you didn't know how it was first used, you'd assume it was just a topspin term. The point is: same word, two different uses. Don't try to blend the two into one definition.

that's a common misconception

from tennis terminology thread, check my sig

Heavy Ball: A ball that feels heavy on your racquet, it feels as if your hitting a very heavy object (,like a bowling ball or a brick), be it flat as a pancake like agassi's backhand or hit with heavy topspin like Nadal's forehand.

A ball that has lots of topspin and bounces around the height of your shoulders but does not feel heavy on your racquet is NOT a heavy ball.A ball with so called 'Heavy' topspin and a loopy trajectory isn't a heavy ball unless it feels heavy on your racquet.So called 'Heavy' topspin is a characteristic of many genuinely heavy balls, but does not itself qualify a ball as heavy, only a heavy sensation felt by the reciever when trying to return it does.

BeHappy
10-13-2007, 09:41 PM
have added sig

Bagumbawalla
10-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Every time the subject of hitting a heavy ball comes up, the definition of "heavy comes into play. Rui is not incorrect, tennis terminology is very sloppy and has evolved over the years. So, there is more than one way to describe a heavy ball.

Mostly we think of "heavy" in association with topspin since with topspin you can hit the ball with tremendous pace and keep the ball in the court. As has been mentioned, topspin, ALONE does not make a ball heavy-- it just makes a moon ball.

But a fairly flat ball with enough speed/energy imparted to it (and as long as you can keep it in the court) can be considered a heavy ball.

Don Budge (tennis player fron the 40s) is considered to have one of the heaviest backhands in the sport. It was fairly flat, but hit so smoothly and with such power that the opponent would get an unexpected jarring when the ball struck his strings.

Very few people hit like that nowdays, so I did not include that in my answer, but to be complete, there it is.

WildVolley
10-14-2007, 09:06 PM
I say it is a ball hit with a lot of topspin, because that's what I'm familiar with. I can crank up a good ball machine to feed me heavy balls. With the topspin setting turned way up, the ball seems to leap at you when it hits the court. In other words, the ball has deceptive pace off the bounce. This means it hits your racquet earlier than you expect because it doesn't slow down like a flat ball and therefore feels heavier than it should.

A flat serve hit at 120 mph seems heavy, but because it is expected, it doesn't seem out of the ordinary the way a low forehand drive with a lot of topspin does. I'd say Nadal often hits a heavy ball because it has both pace in mph and more rotation in terms of rpms than anyone else on tour.

Gundam
10-14-2007, 11:06 PM
Heavy Ball: A ball that feels heavy on your racquet, it feels as if your hitting a very heavy object (,like a bowling ball or a brick), be it flat as a pancake like agassi's backhand or hit with heavy topspin like Nadal's forehand.

Well, I am often told I tend to hit heavier balls (than my friends). 3-4 years ago, I had a chance to hit with a college player. Yup, his shots felt very very heavy. A brick? Exactly. What I noticed was it was an ideal combo of pace and spin. It was only 5 min, but changed my tennis. My buddies say sometimes my shots seem to be going out but drop at the last moment in the court. At least for me, heavy shots is that, pace + spin (Should have both. Fast balls are of course heavy but without spin, it's different). As for the spin, I think that(spin) greatly enhances the sense of feeling 'heavy' on the receiver's racquet.

ionutzakis
10-15-2007, 05:21 AM
place some lead on the ball before the match, that should make it heavy

AceofBase
10-15-2007, 05:24 AM
Easy question just get a big super oversized racket and string the racket really tight like a baseball bat and hit as hard as you can like in baseball. There's as easy as it can get or just get a head heavy racket dont matter what size its is and swing hard cause there's weight behind the racket to make it push though with more power than with a head light racket.

kimizz
10-15-2007, 05:34 AM
I used to think one of my friends could hit a heavy ball. Now that heavy ball is gone, thx to my improvement...so is it just bad timing and poor technique that makes the ball feel heavy?

brownyazn
10-15-2007, 09:11 AM
i think picking the ball up late makes it feel heavier