PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Hybrid?

hoodjem
10-13-2007, 02:18 PM
My stringer has just turned me onto the joys of hybrid string jobs.

I am using Pro's Pro Poly Nova 1.20 on the mains and and Sensation 17g on the crosses (both at 59 lbs.). Even though I really like the crisp feel and touch of this hybrid, I don't think it can possibly be as good as it gets compared to the almost infinite variety out there.

I feel that I've just scratched the surface of all the great things to be had from hybrid stringing.

What would you recommend for more touch and a little more power (in terms of raising/lowering tensions or changing strings)?

Or, what's your favorite hybrid string job?

sorin
10-13-2007, 03:05 PM

I am using Pro's Pro Poly Nova 1.20 on the mains and and Sensation 17g on the crosses (both at 59 lbs.). Even though I really like the crisp feel and touch of this hybrid, I don't think it can possibly be as good as it gets compared to the almost infinite variety out there.

I feel that I've just scratched the surface of all the great things to be had from hybrid stringing.

What would you recommend for more touch and a little more power (in terms of raising/lowering tensions or changing strings)?

I had tried a hybrid string "recipe" from my club that had Blue Gear poly string( blue string has a hexagonal profile) in the mains and Wilson NXT for the crosses. It worked great, excellent feel and touch. However, the rough blue gear string cut the NXT after a while.

:-D

miniRafa386
10-13-2007, 04:58 PM
try gamma zo pro, but have the live wire professional as the mains. it is as close to what fed's using w/o natural gut.

Lloyd Barcenilla
10-13-2007, 05:13 PM
I had tried a hybrid string "recipe" from my club that had Blue Gear poly string( blue string has a hexagonal profile) in the mains and Wilson NXT for the crosses. It worked great, excellent feel and touch. However, the rough blue gear string cut the NXT after a while.

:-D

Is this blue gear stuff good then?

Better than many Poly's?

tbini87
10-13-2007, 08:40 PM

i prefer poly in the mains, and gosen og micro in the crosses. og micro is a great string at a low price so i can try all different types of polys in the mains and not have it be too expensive. not to mention the mains play the biggest role in the characteristics of the stringbed. i am trying cyberflash and big ace right now for poly mains.

as far as more touch and power i would lower the tension. the stringbed should be softer and you might get more of a cupping feel on the ball. but there are endless possibilities of strings and tensions with hybrids so test them out and post what you find!

BounceHitBounceHit
10-13-2007, 08:43 PM
You gotta try the Mojo rig: Klip Legend 17 g gut m's and Isospeed Pro 17 g crosses. Plenty of pop, loads of feel, uncanny spin, and easy on the arm. Reasonably durable too! :) CC

hoodjem
10-13-2007, 08:56 PM
i prefer poly in the mains, and gosen og micro in the crosses. og micro is a great string at a low price . . . the mains play the biggest role in the characteristics of the stringbed.

as far as more touch and power i would lower the tension . . . but there are endless possibilities of strings and tensions with hybrids so test them out and post what you find!

I too really like the "feel" of Poly mains. I don't want to lower the tension too much, just a little (or else I hit just beyond the BL, instead of just inside). I have a full set of Babolat syn gut in one of my other racquets at 57 lbs., and this has just a little too much pop.

So I am thinking of keeping the crosses at 59 lbs. and dropping the mains a tiny bit to 57 or 58. (What gauge are you using? All mine are 17g.)

I should give Gosen og micro a try; everyone seems to really like it.

abenguyen
10-13-2007, 09:22 PM
so far i think i like cyber power/ head fxp hybrid. good power and spin

tbini87
10-13-2007, 09:51 PM
I too really like the "feel" of Poly mains. I don't want to lower the tension too much, just a little (or else I hit just beyond the BL, instead of just inside). I have a full set of Babolat syn gut in one of my other racquets at 57 lbs., and this has a little too much pop.

So I am thinking of keeping the crosses at 59 lbs. and dropping the mains a tiny bit to 57 or 58. (What gauge are you using? All mine are 17g.)

I should give Gosen og micro a try; everyone seems to really like it.

i use 16 or 17 depending. definately give og micro a shot, because it is a good string, but the price is really what sets it apart. dropping the mains a little might be just enough to do the trick for you! good luck.

gerikoh
10-13-2007, 09:57 PM
fed's setup is the best that i've tried so far.

tbini87
10-13-2007, 09:58 PM
fed's setup is the best that i've tried so far.

how much does it come out to per string job?

hoodjem
10-13-2007, 10:26 PM
i use 16 or 17 depending. definately give og micro a shot, because it is a good string, but the price is really what sets it apart. dropping the mains a little might be just enough to do the trick for you! good luck.

Good advice. I think I'll take it.

hoodjem
10-13-2007, 10:28 PM
fed's setup is the best that i've tried so far. Is this it? Luxilon Monotec Supersense(m)/ALU Power Rough(c)
(I thought he used VS gut on the mains.)

Lloyd Barcenilla
10-14-2007, 02:15 AM

How powerful is that?
Im using cyber power full at the moment, its pretty powerful!

Lloyd Barcenilla
10-14-2007, 02:15 AM

How powerful is that?
Im using cyber power full at the moment, its pretty powerful!

Ljubicic for number1
10-14-2007, 06:13 AM
My two favorite hybrids are
Technifibre X1 Biphase mains with cyberflash crosses
And a all poly hybrid of Blue gear mains with Polyfibe TCS crosses.

Bud
10-14-2007, 06:35 AM
I've tried many hybrids on tons of different racquets (mid size and 95's) with all types of string.

The hybrid that works best for my game is:

Forten Aramid Composite 18 at 62# (mains)
Forten Black Competition Nylon 16 at 62# (crosses)

This feels nice and crisp and not too harsh like a full poly setup. It also dampens some of the excess power I tend to hit with.
I generate my own power and have a large (almost loopy) backswing + 1 HBH.

(I strung a racquet, earlier, with Klip Gut 17 in the crosses (in place of the Forten nylon) at 70#. Will play test it, tomorrow.)

hoodjem
10-14-2007, 09:11 AM
Bud,

I also have a (deliberately) big loopy forehand backswing (a la Borg) and a 1 HBH (a la Edberg). I use a semi-western grip on the FH. I use Wilson nPS 95s, having graduated from PS 6.0 85s (primarily because of the heavinesss of the Classic PS).

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to give the Forten Aramid Composite 18 at 62# (mains) and Forten Black Competition Nylon 16 at 62# (crosses) a try. I am curious that you're mixing gauges. This works well? No extra breakage on the thinner gauge mains?

Hoodjem

slice bh compliment
10-14-2007, 09:14 AM
VS Tonic (gut) on the mains.
Hurricane 18 on the crosses.

Now they are marketing (in one hermetically sealed pkg): VS gut with Hurricane tour yellow.

Both great.

NLBwell
10-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Right now I'm playing with SPPPP mains and Alpha Gut crosses. Good performance, good comfort, good tension maintenance, almost no string movement. I'll try other polys (going to try Cyber Power) but I love the Alpha in the crosses. It is the softest and most responsive low-cost nylon multi around and is reasonably durable as a cross.

ArvinC
10-14-2007, 10:03 AM
...has always been a durable, stiff playing main countered by a softer, powerful cross. Back in the day, I grew up playing Ashaway Crossfire 18 or Forten Thin Blend. I loved the boardy, muted feel and liked that I could swing as hard as I wanted to and still keep the ball in play. The 18g helped open up the string bed as well and keep things from being too stiff.

Now, that I'm older and actually make money, I've fallen in love with poly and gut. It reminds me very much of my older Kevlar hybrids, but I get more pop, more spin and comfort. I know there are many players out there who wouldn't dream of "dumbing-down" natural gut with another string, but, IMHO, gut's charecteristics (performance, power, ability to hold tension, comfort...EVERYTHING!) make it THE IDEAL string to put in a hybrid. Plus, you can realize some cost savings as well! ;)

Arvin

tbini87
10-14-2007, 10:11 AM
...has always been a durable, stiff playing main countered by a softer, powerful cross. Back in the day, I grew up playing Ashaway Crossfire 18 or Forten Thin Blend. I loved the boardy, muted feel and liked that I could swing as hard as I wanted to and still keep the ball in play. The 18g helped open up the string bed as well and keep things from being too stiff.

Now, that I'm older and actually make money, I've fallen in love with poly and gut. It reminds me very much of my older Kevlar hybrids, but I get more pop, more spin and comfort. I know there are many players out there who wouldn't dream of "dumbing-down" natural gut with another string, but, IMHO, gut's charecteristics (performance, power, ability to hold tension, comfort...EVERYTHING!) make it THE IDEAL string to put in a hybrid. Plus, you can realize some cost savings as well! ;)

Arvin

it almost sounded like you put gut in the mains, and dumbed it down with a poly cross string. ever tried that? seems like a lot of people are trying it because that is the type of set up fed uses. when i have money someday i would like to experiment with natural gut, but it seems too expensive to put in the crosses where they don't give as much as they would in the mains.

ArvinC
10-14-2007, 10:50 AM
it almost sounded like you put gut in the mains, and dumbed it down with a poly cross string. ever tried that? seems like a lot of people are trying it because that is the type of set up fed uses. when i have money someday i would like to experiment with natural gut, but it seems too expensive to put in the crosses where they don't give as much as they would in the mains.

Yes, I've tried using gut as my mains but found that it had too much pop for my game. I tend to hit a bit flatter than today's "modern" game, so I don't value gut in my mains for feel and spin. Rather, I'm looking for a powerful stringbed with a muted feel and comfort. This combination really provides that for me.

I can't even play with all gut in a racquet...I don't generate enough spin to keep a set-up like that in the court! :shock:

Arvin

Bud
10-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Bud,

I also have a (deliberately) big loopy forehand backswing (a la Borg) and a 1 HBH (a la Edberg). I use a semi-western grip on the FH. I use Wilson nPS 95s, having graduated from PS 6.0 85s (primarily because of the heavinesss of the Classic PS).

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to give the Forten Aramid Composite 18 at 62# (mains) and Forten Black Competition Nylon 16 at 62# (crosses) a try. I am curious that you're mixing gauges. This works well? No extra breakage on the thinner gauge mains?

Hoodjem

I love the setup. I've tried other crosses and gauges but keep coming back to the Forten 16. Gosen Micro 18/17 in the crosses is too powerful and stiff. I did string one of my Diablos with Liberty 16 in the crosses (since it's softer than the Forten Nylon). Haven't had a chance to hit with it yet, though.

I'm not a string breaker so, I don't seem to have any problems with the durability. I've never broken a set of strings and play at about 3.5-4.0.

My forehand/backhand style sounds close to yours. Semi-western forehand (more of a naturally flat hitter). My 1HBH is Modified-Eastern.

Bud
10-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Yes, I've tried using gut as my mains but found that it had too much pop for my game. I tend to hit a bit flatter than today's "modern" game, so I don't value gut in my mains for feel and spin. Rather, I'm looking for a powerful stringbed with a muted feel and comfort. This combination really provides that for me.

I can't even play with all gut in a racquet...I don't generate enough spin to keep a set-up like that in the court! :shock:

Arvin

This describes me almost to a tee. I tried 70# gut in the mains and a nylon cross at 65 and it was still too powerful.

I now have a racquet with Forten Aramid Composite 18 at 65 in the mains and Natural gut at 65 in the crosses. I haven't playtested it, yet.

ArvinC
10-14-2007, 05:18 PM
I love the setup. I've tried other crosses and gauges but keep coming back to the Forten 16. Gosen Micro 18/17 in the crosses is too powerful and stiff. I did string one of my Diablos with Liberty 16 in the crosses (since it's softer than the Forten Nylon). Haven't had a chance to hit with it yet, though.

I'm not a string breaker so, I don't seem to have any problems with the durability. I've never broken a set of strings and play at about 3.5-4.0.

My forehand/backhand style sounds close to yours. Semi-western forehand (more of a naturally flat hitter). My 1HBH is Modified-Eastern.

Hey Bud,

Like you, I use a Semi-Western FH, but use a Continental grip for my one-handed BH and everything else. Because I also hit it fairly flat, I need a set-up that will allow me to pound away from the back, but not send it to the fence. The poly/natgut set-up lets me do that yet the gut helps keep things comfortable and gives me more "built-in" spin and control.

I have a feeling that the Forten Aramid/NatGut stick you have will soon become your favorite! :-D Back in the 80's and early 90's, Kevlar and Gut was THE hybrid to have on Tour. Kevlar's been pushed away in favor of poly these days, but the feel and intent is quite similar.

Give it a chance and enjoy that combo in your racquet...you'll love it!

Arvin

Troy47
10-14-2007, 05:41 PM
I have vs touch 16 natural gut in the mains, and signum poly plasma pure 1.23 gauge in the crosses strung at 52lbs in a Volkl V1 oversize, the feel is incredible, spin is insane, it's an amazing hybrid.

sorin
10-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Is this blue gear stuff good then?

Better than many Poly's?

The Blue Gear is good stuff, its hexagonal profile has quite a bite on the ball, but it also bites the crosses. This hybrid combo lasted me about 20 hours of play, not bad.
I changed today to Luxelon BB on the mains and NXT in the crosses. This combination is actually being sold by Wilson as a hybrid and it has very good reviews at TW. I use a Volkl DNX 10, it responds very well to string type and tension. I will updated you with how it plays in few days.

Jasonzzz
10-14-2007, 08:15 PM
which ever poly i used on my main, i always go for OG sheep at cross.. never fail me so far...

naylor
10-14-2007, 09:21 PM
I have my n90s and k90 strung with a soft mains (NXT, Kgut pro, Klip Legend gut) at somewhere between 60 & 58 lbs. and ALU Power rough or BB rough in the crosses at a couple of lbs. less than the mains. Also use stringsavers to prevent the crosses from sawing the mains. I get very good control and fantastic spin with that set-up.

theace21
10-14-2007, 09:28 PM
BDE Performance in the mains, Gosen Sheep Micro 17 in the crosses...

Fedace
10-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Tech X-1 biphase and bab Pro hurr tour. or X-1 biphase and Kirschbaum pro line 2.

downdaline
10-15-2007, 12:32 AM
Hurricane 18 x VS Natural Gut 16... the ULTIMATE in feel.

But my fav hybrid is Hurricane 17 x XCel Premium 16 - but i break strings too often to keep at it.

Fedace
10-15-2007, 05:13 AM

But my fav hybrid is Hurricane 17 x XCel Premium 16 - but i break strings too often to keep at it.

I used to like the natural gut hybrid as well but the weather affects the gut too much.

hoodjem
10-15-2007, 08:02 AM

Which is mains and which is crosses? (Hurricane 18 MAINS ?x VS Natural Gut 16 CROSSES?)

shojun25
10-15-2007, 04:47 PM
(see sig).

10 char

allrightguy
10-15-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm a personal fan of prince syn gut multifilament in the crosses with luxilon rough in the mains. But another good standby is gamma stinger

Burt Turkoglu
10-15-2007, 04:53 PM
when I had a good arm......luxilon timo mains/gamma pro plus crosses for almost 8 years

now after wrist problems......ashaway braided kevlar mains/blue star crosses

User Name
10-15-2007, 05:05 PM
topspin cyberflash 17 mains/xcel premium 17 crossess

64/63

User Name
10-15-2007, 05:05 PM
sometimes live wire in crosses sorry (sig)

downdaline
10-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Which is mains and which is crosses? (Hurricane 18 MAINS ?x VS Natural Gut 16 CROSSES?)

Yeap, hurricane in mains with gut crosses.

hoodjem
10-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Wow! Lots of great ideas here. Thanks! Looks like I'll be experimenting for a long time.

Is there a general wisdom on the tensions: such as stringing the mains 2-3 lbs less than the crosses, or should they be at the same tension, or does it depend on whether one uses Poly?

sorin
10-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Here is a good site if shopping for strings: http://www.stringsdepotplus.com/

rlee7777
10-17-2007, 09:04 PM
My new favorite: Pro Supex Premier Ace 1.20mm Poly for mains and Gosen OG Micro 17ga for crosses. Tension at 53M/57C on TT Warrior OS. Excellent control.

downdaline
10-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Wow! Lots of great ideas here. Thanks! Looks like I'll be experimenting for a long time.

Is there a general wisdom on the tensions: such as stringing the mains 2-3 lbs less than the crosses, or should they be at the same tension, or does it depend on whether one uses Poly?

Tensions is a sensitive thing. Some ppl will string both crosses and mains at the same tension even if they are different strings completely.

But i guess most pple usually string the poly at a lower tension and the other string at a higher tension. eg. XCel Premium at 60 with Pro Hurricane at 54.

I've heard that it's best to keep the differences in tension between crosses and mains below 8lbs. Anything above that (eg. XCel at 60 and ProHurricane at 50), and string may start to really bite into each other, or so i've heard.

aeroman
10-18-2007, 05:50 PM
If you have a 10 pound difference it will cause uneven stress on the frame and even more so once the poly starts to lose tension (this is what I have heard). I string mine at 56/60 though. I wouldn't have that big of a difference in tension.
Aeroman

GokuQ
10-18-2007, 08:38 PM
ashaway 18g kevlar mains
natural gut 17g crosses(usually klip armorpro 17, or pac rough gut 17)

jvis
10-19-2007, 02:50 PM
Im using ALU rough mains and PSGD crosses but will probably change to Gosen OG Micro crosses

Jonny S&V
10-19-2007, 02:51 PM
Im using ALU rough mains and PSGD crosses but will probably change to Gosen OG Micro crosses

And Cyberflash/Power mains? ;)

jvis
10-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Yeah I will but i just ordered my AG 300 with the Rough and the Gosen so ill have to wait till it breaks and then i can switch but the CP does look really good:D

jvis
10-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Sorry not the Gosen but The PSGD my mistake. Gosen on my next string job

spdskr
10-19-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm currently using Luxilon BB Original Rough mains with Wilson NXT 16 crosses 53/56 on a couple of N6.1 95s. I get lots of control and topspin from the baseline, but amazing touch at the net. Even my shanks seem to land in with this setup ;) . I was fearful the rough poly would cut into the soft multi, but to my amazement the NXT is wearing less in the poly setup than when I've strung with full NXT. Lastly, this hybrid even feels softer than a full NXT setup.

Eric4
10-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Huricane Tour 16 and VS Gut 16.

hoodjem
10-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Any others?

I'm going to put together a "master list", and then maybe post a Poll so you can vote on everyone's faves.

Thanks a lot for all the responses.