PDA

View Full Version : Full syn. gut, anyone?

cukoo
10-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Does anyone here still plays with a full syn. gut stringjob? And on which racquets?

I'm used to using an assorted amount of poly but for my dunlop mfil 200 18x20, I tried gosen og sheep micro 16 at 60 pound and it feels great. But the only thing was that the string kept moving around and it felt like it wasn't going to last very long. Any poly recommendation?

dr_punk
10-13-2007, 02:47 PM
of course

I use a full gosen micro 17 strung at 54 (but played at high 40's after applying the 10 percent rule) and its what I prefer

tbini87
10-13-2007, 02:49 PM
i play with full syn gut now and then (og micro, psgd, forten nylon) just when i am going to practice. it moves around too much for me though. i use tecnifibre t-fight 335 racquets. as far as poly you could try Topspin Poly Polar as a full job because it is really soft and stretchy. has a little more spin and less string movement than syn gut. i would also recommend using a hybrid with poly mains and syn gut crosses if you are used to syn gut, because most poly is stiff as a full job.

nickb
10-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Gosen OG Micro 16 is my standard string....it doesnt last long but only costs $30 for 200m and I string for myself. I use it becuase poly gives me tennis elbow (even in hybrids) and multis/gut are expensive when you break strings.

Ive used hybrids, full poly etc and just cant (won't!) give up the feel at net.. Id rather restring my racquets 2 times a week.

Nick

jm4121
10-13-2007, 03:21 PM
I currently use a full PSGD 18 on my Redondo Mid (and have used 17 g PSGD). I like Duraflex as it seems to tame the pop factor of most syn. gut strings and has a stiffer feel than many of the soft syn. guts.

Also, I have played full synthetic gut on an MFil 200 (PSGD 17), not bad, but in my opinion, that racquet perfoms better with a poly main.

Gmedlo
10-13-2007, 03:28 PM
full PSGO 16 here. I might splurge on a multi or gut hybrid when I get the ranking to justify it.

Syn gut is actually more durable than most people say it is, especially if you use an 18x20 racquet. 16g last longer than most multis, anyway (and holds tension better.)

Commando Tennis Shorts
10-13-2007, 03:32 PM
full PSGO 16 here. I might splurge on a multi or gut hybrid when I get the ranking to justify it.

Syn gut is actually more durable than most people say it is, especially if you use an 18x20 racquet. 16g last longer than most multis, anyway (and holds tension better.)

ditto........

Gmedlo
10-13-2007, 03:36 PM
ahahahaha, looking at the USRSA string guide, they say the stiffness of 16g PSGD is 213, while the PSGO is 217. Now I understand why no one trusts the USRSA tests :p

jmk311
10-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Does anyone here still plays with a full syn. gut stringjob? And on which racquets?

I'm used to using an assorted amount of poly but for my dunlop mfil 200 18x20, I tried gosen og sheep micro 16 at 60 pound and it feels great. But the only thing was that the string kept moving around and it felt like it wasn't going to last very long. Any poly recommendation?
I just strung my ncode 6.2 OS with Head's syn gut at 62 pounds..so far so good..i like the control..and the pop sound when the ball hits. It does seem to be a tighter more control string...Head syn gut..."contro"

feyya
10-13-2007, 04:45 PM
ya psgd @ 55-60 depends on the tournament surface

brownyazn
10-13-2007, 05:09 PM
yeah
on my prestige mids

JackSkellington
10-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Good to see all the other Sheep users here :D

I've always strung my Type C and Prestiges with 16 micro at 58--insane pop and feel on all my strokes.

Have a few DI friends that play full synthetic, same stuff, too.

cukoo
10-13-2007, 07:21 PM

Syn. Gut is more durable on a 18x20 racquet? Or is this true for all type of strings on a 18x20 racquet?

Also, this must have been asked a million time but what is the advantage of poly strings over syn. gut? Can anyone list a few or explain to me?

Thanks

tbini87
10-13-2007, 07:27 PM
Syn. Gut is more durable on a 18x20 racquet? Or is this true for all type of strings on a 18x20 racquet?

Also, this must have been asked a million time but what is the advantage of poly strings over syn. gut? Can anyone list a few or explain to me?

Thanks

strings last longer with a dense string pattern on a racquet. the benefits of poly over a syn gut are: durability, spin, less string movement, less power (could be an advantage or disad, depending on your point of view). the disadvantages are: less feel, harsh on the arm (with stiff poly), don't hold tension exremely well.

tbini87
10-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Good to see all the other Sheep users here :D

I've always strung my Type C and Prestiges with 16 micro at 58--insane pop and feel on all my strokes.

Have a few DI friends that play full synthetic, same stuff, too.

got to love the sheep haha. great cross string for hybrids, but also works well in a full syn gut job.

Gmedlo
10-13-2007, 07:44 PM

Thanks

It is true for all string types if you break them by overstressing the string on ball impact. If you break them by wearing them down until they are thin enough that they can't handle the tension, 18x20 wont help you much, aside from spreading the load more than on a 16x18/19.

In an 18x20, syn gut moves less, which is the primary cause of string breakage for me, so the durability gain is much larger compared with a multi, where I shread it til it breaks.

cukoo
10-13-2007, 09:23 PM
strings last longer with a dense string pattern on a racquet. the benefits of poly over a syn gut are: durability, spin, less string movement, less power (could be an advantage or disad, depending on your point of view). the disadvantages are: less feel, harsh on the arm (with stiff poly), don't hold tension exremely well.

Thanks for the info, I really like that poly dont move around like syn. gut.

But can power be tweaked with, depending on the string tension? So that a poly strung at 50 lb will equal (more of less) to the power level of a syn. gut strung at 60 lb?

Gmedlo
10-13-2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the info, I really like that poly dont move around like syn. gut.

But can power be tweaked with, depending on the string tension? So that a poly strung at 50 lb will equal (more of less) to the power level of a syn. gut strung at 60 lb?

It depends very much on what poly you use. A new, 3rd generation copoly like Cyber Power will be much more powerful than synthetic gut, even if the CP is strung at a higher tension. But, take a stiffer poly like ALU Rough, and you will find the opposite.

That being said, you can adjust the power of any string to a certain degree by raising or lowering tension.

morten
10-14-2007, 02:57 AM
yes i do, the ps 85, at 42lbs, wilson synth gut extreme. Tried gut and multi, good but too springy. Tried poly and luxilon, too dead and no feel

Loco4Tennis
10-14-2007, 03:23 AM
i am sticking to synthetic guts for as long as possible,
i am trying to stay away from polys because of arm pain concerns,
i've tried semi polys
loved: better control, no string movement
hated: arm pain and cost
i wanna play without hurting myself and also without going broke $$

goosala
10-17-2007, 07:48 PM
I use syn gut/nylon full setup. Brands usually are PSGO, Gosen OG Micro, Forten Nylon. They are cheap, softer than poly and are not as powerful as multifilaments. I have pretty much tried every string that is under $5 and like the mentioned strings. I like multis but the price is too high for the amount of string that I go through and they play too lively so my control is not that good.