PDA

View Full Version : Need help stringing ballistic polymono 16 with a drop weight How do I prestretch?

paulmaben
10-13-2007, 05:43 PM
I strung up Razorspin, by first poly last week and really love it, so I decided to string my other racquet with ballistic polymono. The stuff is like piano wire compared to razorspin. I go to pull the first main with my drop weight and well......i pull, and try to pull some more, but guess what? the string won't budge!! This string has some tensile strength! Do I have to prestretch? If so how do I do this?

thanks for any help,

Paul

dancraig
10-13-2007, 06:08 PM
I don't prestrech poly, but if you want to here is how.
Wrap the middle of the whole length of string around an object, such as a doorknob. Back off across the room and get the two ends together. Clamp the two ends in your floating clamp. Pull it tight and then lean away on the string for maybe 30-60 seconds. You will feel the string give a little at first and then firm up. Since I don't prestretch poly, I really don't know how much "give" you will feel, or the exact amount of time required for the pull. That's about it. Maybe someone who has prestretched poly will have something to add.

dancraig
10-13-2007, 06:25 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=150082

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=129355

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=127200

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=27707

Here are some threads about prestretching poly.

meh
10-13-2007, 07:16 PM
If you mean that the arm cannot drop, then you need to give the string some slack when putting it into the gripper.

tbini87
10-13-2007, 07:32 PM
If you mean that the arm cannot drop, then you need to give the string some slack when putting it into the gripper.

exactly, i don't think he meant anything about prestretching, but he can't get the arm to drop. you simply need to leave slack in the string, because it will not stretch like a syn gut or multi. once you do a job or two you will get to know how much slack to leave and how much certain polys stretch.

Bottle Rocket
10-13-2007, 07:42 PM

I've never understood the slack thing. Instead, why not just raise the drop weight lower before letting it down?

Stringing a poly is no different from anything else when it comes to tensioning. Find the height you must raise the weight so when you let it down, it ends up perfectly horizontal. For most poly's it is a very small angle, something like 30-45 degrees. For synthetic guts, sometimes you have to go 90 degrees or more depending on the tension.

Forget about the whole pre-stretching thing... Just string it up like anything else. That Babolat string dies off very quickly regardless, my recommendation is to just let it be.

tbini87
10-13-2007, 07:53 PM
I've never understood the slack thing. Instead, why not just raise the drop weight lower before letting it down?

Stringing a poly is no different from anything else when it comes to tensioning. Find the height you must raise the weight so when you let it down, it ends up perfectly horizontal. For most poly's it is a very small angle, something like 30-45 degrees. For synthetic guts, sometimes you have to go 90 degrees or more depending on the tension.

Forget about the whole pre-stretching thing... Just string it up like anything else. That Babolat string dies off very quickly regardless, my recommendation is to just let it be.

you can do it either way and get the same results. i used to do it your way but ended up liking leaving the slack instead.

Bottle Rocket
10-13-2007, 08:07 PM
you can do it either way and get the same results. i used to do it your way but ended up liking leaving the slack instead.

If you have a wheel-type tensioner like the Gamma X-2, you can end up with it in the wrong orientation for tesnioning.

More importantly, when you have string wrapped around it multiple times and overlapping you get a significantly less accurate tension on the strings. This destroys the consistency of a string job.

Richie Rich
10-14-2007, 03:25 AM
when stringing poly you should never have to adjust the tension gripper wheel. as bottlerocket wrote earlier, just position the arm at about 40 degrees (or whatever lets the arm settle at horizontal when tensioned) and pull the string.

the only time i turn the tension gripper wheel is when i'm stringing syn gut or multi and need to double pull (or double spin in this case :lol: ) to get the right tension.

paulmaben
10-14-2007, 04:05 AM
thanks for the suggestions. I have an Eagnas hawk 80 so there is no tension rotator. I gave the string some slack but I guess not nearly enough. With most of my synthetics I am used to pulling very tightly to get it into the string gripper. Even then there is significant stretching. I'll try again with more slack.

tbini87
10-14-2007, 09:20 AM
If you have a wheel-type tensioner like the Gamma X-2, you can end up with it in the wrong orientation for tesnioning.

More importantly, when you have string wrapped around it multiple times and overlapping you get a significantly less accurate tension on the strings. This destroys the consistency of a string job.

when stringing poly you should never have to adjust the tension gripper wheel. as bottlerocket wrote earlier, just position the arm at about 40 degrees (or whatever lets the arm settle at horizontal when tensioned) and pull the string.

the only time i turn the tension gripper wheel is when i'm stringing syn gut or multi and need to double pull (or double spin in this case :lol: ) to get the right tension.

i see what you guys are saying. but knowing what angle to put the arm at, and knowing how much slack to leave are pretty much the same idea, and change for every string. so once you do it a few times and know how much slack to leave (or what angle to put the bar at), then you should get the same results. it is just a different way of getting there. maybe your way is easier for a beginner, that is the way i started doing it. but i have no problems leaving slack now, and dont have the string going around and around the tension head or anything...