PDA

View Full Version : stringing pro hurricane tour 17 gauge at 56lbs??

i love t3nn1s
10-13-2007, 06:17 PM
i was just wondering how this would play and feel..alot of power or not much..things like that..i am just wondering

shojun25
10-13-2007, 09:15 PM
It will play stiff at first. After some getting use to the string, you will experience a crisp feel. However, this string has that normal polyester tension lost, so it will gradually increase in power the longer you play with it. Great string though. Do not worry so much about the gauge, unless if you string it in a radical tension.

budkid
10-13-2007, 10:30 PM
Well I play with Pro Hurricane@55 on my MG Rad Pro. I do like it! It softens up and drops tension in a week for me. I use it til they break. There is a lot of power, you just have to learn how to control it.

Mad iX
10-14-2007, 01:32 AM
Depends on what you're used to?
For me, it would pack quite a punch.

slice bh compliment
10-14-2007, 01:46 AM
Great string. At first I felt it was too hard, compared to the regular Hurricane. I liked it a lot better when I dropped another pound or two. I think it's even better than Hurricane, which is better than the two Luxilon products I've tried.

Note: I do not use poly on both mains and crosses. Tried that once, did not like it. Poly mains with gut crosses is what I have the most experience with. I like. But, now, I use Hurricane Tour (yellow) just on the crosses with gut mains. Firm, great spin, so much control and plenty of power...just awesome. Good until the main breaks, which is fine with me.

Oh, also, the regular white Hurricane comes in 18g, which the Hurricane Tour does not. That is odd, but maybe they found the 18 broke too fast for the average poly customer. Also, the texture of the yellow 17g does not leave you wanting more bite, so I guess, no real need for an 18g there.

Afterhours
10-15-2007, 01:44 AM
Oh man. I just strung my fxp radical mp with pro hurricane tour 17g at 60lbs. Is that way too high or what?

downdaline
10-15-2007, 02:02 AM
@OP: It's a good string, but like the previous posters said, it needs some break-in. I kinda disagree that it gets more powerful as it loses tension. I agree that as it breaks in, then it gains power, but over the course of about 10 hours, the string gains a little more power at first then i starts to become a little dull for me - loss of power.

@Afterhours: Not necessarily. Pro hurricane is one of the softer polys out there, so stringing at 60lbs might not be as high as you might think, but the initial break-in period will be kinda painful. EEee-ouch...

downdaline
10-15-2007, 02:03 AM
@Afterhours: Not necessarily. Pro hurricane is one of the softer polys out there, so stringing at 60lbs might not be as high as you might think, but the initial break-in period will be kinda painful. EEee-ouch...

Hehe whoops... we're talking abt the TOUR version here, i realized. Then YES, 60lbs is kinda high... my bad...

Afterhours
10-15-2007, 02:05 AM
Seems like a good time to do some wrist work haha! Were you referring to the pro hurricane regular as being one of the softer polys out there? What are the differences between that and the tour version?

downdaline
10-15-2007, 02:11 AM
Yeah, pro hurricane regular is one of the softer polys, not the softest, but definitely not as stiff as the Tour version. The tour version is WAAAAAAY stiffer than the regular version.

Im not sure exactly what makes it stiffer, think it has to do with material composition and all.

Check out the String Selector at Tennis.com:
http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/gear/stringselector/index.html

loathsome
10-15-2007, 02:22 AM
I have used both Pro Hurricane 17g and Pro Hurricane Tour 17g @ 56lbs, the tour is not too powerful, allowing you to take big cuts at the ball without it going long, cant say the same bout the Pro Hurricane @ 56 lbs thou, it was too powerful till i strung it at 60 lbs. I'm now using Pro Hurricane 17g @ 59 lbs in the mains and Xcel 17g @ 62 lbs for the crosses and am loving it!