PDA

View Full Version : What was your college major?

drhopz
10-13-2007, 07:35 PM
What was your college major and what did you end up doing with it?

dima
10-13-2007, 08:16 PM
My college major is accounting, with a minor in int business.

caesar66
10-13-2007, 11:35 PM
my undergrad was social science education, and my masters is in school counseling.

MomentumGT
10-13-2007, 11:46 PM
My college major was Political Science/Law & Society with a minor in Business Administration.

-Jon

zapvor
10-14-2007, 04:51 PM
major in pimping, and minored in ***** modeling.

Vision84
10-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Major in European History and a senior that still has no idea what to do with it.

bluedevilinnj
10-14-2007, 07:25 PM
five year masters program in chemical engineering with a minor in spanish. Def should have been a spanish major, best 6 weeks of my life was "studying" abroad in spain

zapvor
10-14-2007, 10:20 PM
Major in European History and a senior that still has no idea what to do with it.

high school teacher?

Commando Tennis Shorts
10-15-2007, 12:17 AM
major: journalism; minor: education

I'm a news reporter for a local newspaper. I figure once I get burned out by the hectic lifestyle, I'll become a journalism advisor at a high school or college.

Commando Tennis Shorts
10-15-2007, 12:17 AM
five year masters program in chemical engineering with a minor in spanish. Def should have been a spanish major, best 6 weeks of my life was "studying" abroad in spain

Which broad? haha. sorry---lame joke

drhopz
10-15-2007, 01:01 AM

I'm a biochem major right now, and all the intense engineers are in my class. Kinda scary. I'm thinking about switching my major to biology and finish the req's i need for pharmacy school.

mcpon
10-15-2007, 02:11 AM
Mine's social science.

Serve em Up
10-15-2007, 05:14 AM
Economics in 1984

MBA in 96

WBF
10-15-2007, 07:43 AM
Psychology
Brain and Cognitive Sciences

Both would require further education... So now I'm getting a M.S. in Networking, Security, and Systems Administration (concentration on the former two).

origmarm
10-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Economics (10)

ch4ng
10-15-2007, 11:23 AM
my major is radiology

movdqa
10-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Undergrad IS, Graduate CS.

I had jobs as a programmer/analyst and informations systems consultant before moving into software engineering.

Taimur
10-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Undergrad Econ ; 2nd year Doctorate Econ ; Passion:Tennis

BackHander22
10-15-2007, 12:10 PM
University major in accounting.

heartman
10-15-2007, 12:33 PM
BAS - Education

MSE - Psyc Services/Sports Psychology

danielpreston
10-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Where are all the mathematicians?

Have I proved a point that most college tennis players do not take a "serious" major?

movdqa
10-15-2007, 02:30 PM
I'd be careful of criticizing the difficulty of someone else's major. I can drop you a math problem from one of my son's math classes (CS/Math double major) if you'd like.

skiracer55
10-15-2007, 02:53 PM
...decided I did not want to be a college professor, and took a winter off to be a ski bum. 11 years later...just before my liver fell out...I got a Masters in Technical Writing and got into the Words 'R' Us Racket (a. k. a., "Software Technical Documentation").

However...while I was off in la-la land (we actually used to call Breckenridge "Happy Valley" back in the 70s...), I did a bunch of free lancing. I sold articles to Powder Magazine and Ski Racing, among others. I still write Goofy Stuff, just not for money. Want some samples? Here, try this:

http://www.rmmskiracing.org/snownews/SnowNews-2002Mar.pdf

http://www.rmmskiracing.org/articles/RMalm-2006-03-Goals.pdf

http://www.rmmskiracing.org/articles/RMalm-2006-03-Hotbox.pdf

http://www.rmmskiracing.org/articles/RMalm-2001-10-DayJob.pdf

power_play21
10-15-2007, 03:12 PM
my major is radiology

what school ha a radiology major???

lorenza
10-15-2007, 03:24 PM
i'm majoring in industrial engineering with a minor in business. i'm thinking of getting my MBA after i graduate but i'm not sure yet

Lakoste
10-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Have I proved a point that most college tennis players do not take a "serious" major?

You do know that just because someone posted in this thread it doesn't mean they played college tennis, right?

BTW I majored in Computer Engineering with a minor in IPE. Neither of them are being put to use in my current occupation, unemployed:lol:

chess9
10-15-2007, 04:15 PM
Physics/math. I played college tennis. ;)

-Robert

anirut
10-16-2007, 03:35 AM
I majored in many ... Physics, CS and ended up in Mass Communication.

Minor: alcohol consumption.

steveq81
10-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Here's one for our UK friend, danielpreston:

BS in math. I teach high school math and also coach our tennis teams.

Also, BS in journalism. Spent eight years on the sports staff at a daily paper here in Wisconsin before switching to teaching math fulltime.

How's that for an odd career combo?

By the way, danielpreston, I'm also a big English football fan. I'd be lost without my Fox Soccer Channel.

jmsx521
10-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Bachelor's of Fine ARt, with two minors in graphic design.
Eyeing a Master's degree at the Chicago Institute of Art in the next 10-20 years or so.

tricky
10-17-2007, 12:32 PM
How would you know what a serious major is, high school puke.

Indeed. Very condescending and naive view to look at majors as "serious" or "not." Also considering that there's a very good chance to whatever major you pick will not match the career you end up taking.

Dedans Penthouse
10-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Drum major; dating a minor.

Topaz
10-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Drum major; dating a minor.

I dated a drum major once.

*Once*! :)

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
10-17-2007, 12:58 PM
My major was in Criminal Justice. I worked in it for a short time right from uni, but decided I wished a different direction in life because I didn't want to keep my hair cut :-)

ch4ng
10-17-2007, 01:03 PM

cal state long beach and cal state dominguez hills

Kirko
10-17-2007, 02:11 PM
What was your college major and what did you end up doing with it?

history went to to wash out u. (wasington university in st. louis,mo) under-grad. then on to columbia u. & cornell u. I ended up a super b*****sh***t artist for a cell phone co.

Court_Jester
10-17-2007, 02:25 PM
BS (Physics)
Ph.D.(Physics)
field of specialty: experimental condensed matter physics (high-Tc superconductivity) with a bit of materials science on the side

dima
10-17-2007, 03:12 PM
BS (Physics)
Ph.D.(Physics)
field of specialty: experimental condensed matter physics (high-Tc superconductivity) with a bit of materials science on the side

You have a Ph.D and you have an anime icon? Lol I find that hard to believe for some reason.

forzainter
10-17-2007, 03:26 PM
You have a Ph.D and you have an anime icon? Lol I find that hard to believe for some reason.

what, just because he has a qualification you think he can't like anime (what is this, japanese cartoon or something?)

Court_Jester
10-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Believe it! :D

The other (or regular) pics are just too ordinary.

jmsx521
10-17-2007, 05:49 PM
BS (Physics)
Ph.D.(Physics)
field of specialty: experimental condensed matter physics (high-Tc superconductivity) with a bit of materials science on the sideCourt_Jester, when are they going to start building that space-elevator? Are the nano-tube materials & technology up-to-date-yet? I can't wait!

http://www.blog.speculist.com/archives/06_SpaceElevator.jpeg

Forget all the schooling I've done... I'll give it up all for a space elevator operator/doorman job!

What floor please? Or rather, what elevation please ... That would be 25 min!

jmsx521
10-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Oh, and the Albert Pines quote is priceless!

BounceHitBounceHit
10-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Chemistry/Biochemistry

Physician

Bundey
10-17-2007, 06:15 PM

Hopefully you didn't study her too closely. I've gotten slapped in the face that way before. :-(

Bolt
10-17-2007, 06:25 PM
Major: Geography
Minor: Mathematics
Employment: Actuary

TnTBigman
10-17-2007, 08:09 PM
Biochemistry

plan to go pharmacy school.

Commando Tennis Shorts
10-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Hopefully you didn't study her too closely. I've gotten slapped in the face that way before. :-(

Hey! I already made that joke!!:)

Bundey
10-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Hey! I already made that joke!!:)

Oh, crap didn't see that, lol!

quest01
10-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Majored in Forensic Science with a minor in criminalistics.

vkartikv
10-18-2007, 04:28 PM
BTech - Chem. Engg.
MS - Environ. Engg.
PhD (almost complete) - Environ. Engg.

richw76
10-18-2007, 04:34 PM
Bio/PreMed drop out loser. Turns out I don't really like science much ;-)

BS computer info systems.

richw76
10-18-2007, 04:37 PM
Bio/PreMed drop out loser. Turns out I don't really like science much ;-)

BS computer info systems.

oh and I work in IT, and do some real estate stuff on the side. But I used to work with two guys one was a religion major the other did philosophy and we were all doing Unix/Network support. In IT you get a ragtag group of folks.

goober
10-18-2007, 05:48 PM

Just for clarification. These degrees lead one to become a Radiology Technologist although you technically don't need a bachelors to be a Radiology tech. It is a good way to go though because in many cases you need a bachelors to move up into management/administration positions of a rad dept. You also are pretty much guaranteed a job when you graduate.

Steve Huff
10-18-2007, 10:11 PM
My first degree was Business Admin/Marketing. That got me into sales. I took more accounting, and worked in that. My brother majored in Management. Became a manager of a KMart. My sister got a degree in Bus Ad. Now--my brother and I are both RN's. My sister, at 45, just started nursing school. My advice, if you go into business, get a degree in Finance, Accounting or maybe Economics. Nobody hires a "manager". You have to be good at something and work your way up. Marketing is sales. You often don't have to have a degree to be good at sales. Nursing has been good to me. My wife is also an RN. We've moved around the country, never paid for a move, earn fairly good money, usually have worked 3 days a week (12-hr shifts), and really feel we've made a difference in someone's life each day. Hard to beat.

power_play21
10-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Just for clarification. These degrees lead one to become a Radiology Technologist although you technically don't need a bachelors to be a Radiology tech. It is a good way to go though because in many cases you need a bachelors to move up into management/administration positions of a rad dept. You also are pretty much guaranteed a job when you graduate.

oh okay, that clarifies it. have to go through undergrad, Medical school, then 5 years of residency to become a radiologist.

El Hombre
10-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Sports and Entertainment Management

theone
10-20-2007, 03:21 PM
Chemistry/Biochemistry

Physician

How can you be a doctor with a chemistry degree?

goober
10-20-2007, 03:36 PM
How can you be a doctor with a chemistry degree?

You can be a doctor with any undergraduate degree. Medical school in the US is after college. You are only required to take prerequisites, but you can major in anything including nonscience subjects.

power_play21
10-22-2007, 08:19 PM
You can be a doctor with any undergraduate degree. Medical school in the US is after college. You are only required to take prerequisites, but you can major in anything including nonscience subjects.

trust me when i say this, it makes it a lot easier if you take a relevant science major, both for admissions, and once in medical school.

also, medical schools are so competitive nowadays, that what you 'can' do doesn't necessarily mean what you 'should' do and what will give you more chance of being accepted. (i am going through the process right now, have talked to numerous admissions recruiters and officers, and of course, advisors, and medical students who were recently admitted).

chemistry and biochemistry allow sufficient flexibility to take most 'recommended' courses.

my number one choice medical school recommends the following:

One year of Biology, including Laboratory work.

Genetics, Cellular Biology, Developmental Biology, and Comparative Anatomy.

One year of General Chemistry, including Laboratory work.

One year of Organic Chemistry, including Laboratory work.

General Physics - One year of General Physics, including Laboratory work.

Physiology, anatomy, immunology, biochemistry, calculus, microbiology, and other relevant courses are also recommended.

In other words, if you are a Russian history major, you're gonna have a tough time doing your major and still taking all these courses. And if you dont, chances, are, they (the medical school) are going to prefer someone who did.

WBF
10-22-2007, 08:33 PM
trust me when i say this, it makes it a lot easier if you take a relevant science major, both for admissions, and once in medical school.

also, medical schools are so competitive nowadays, that what you 'can' do doesn't necessarily mean what you 'should' do and what will give you more chance of being accepted. (i am going through the process right now, have talked to numerous admissions recruiters and officers, and of course, advisors, and medical students who were recently admitted).

chemistry and biochemistry allow sufficient flexibility to take most 'recommended' courses.

my number one choice medical school recommends the following:

One year of Biology, including Laboratory work.

Genetics, Cellular Biology, Developmental Biology, and Comparative Anatomy.

One year of General Chemistry, including Laboratory work.

One year of Organic Chemistry, including Laboratory work.

General Physics - One year of General Physics, including Laboratory work.

Physiology, anatomy, immunology, biochemistry, calculus, microbiology, and other relevant courses are also recommended.

In other words, if you are a Russian history major, you're gonna have a tough time doing your major and still taking all these courses. And if you dont, chances, are, they (the medical school) are going to prefer someone who did.

I'm in no way interested in Med school, but discussions with various professors indicate that this is false. They discussed how med schools will often look for more diversely educated students, who could take specific courses before or at the start of the program and so forth.

I'm sure this isn't the case in all schools or even the majority, but I'm sure it's valid in many.

dima
10-22-2007, 09:10 PM
My first degree was Business Admin/Marketing. That got me into sales. I took more accounting, and worked in that. My brother majored in Management. Became a manager of a KMart. My sister got a degree in Bus Ad. Now--my brother and I are both RN's. My sister, at 45, just started nursing school. My advice, if you go into business, get a degree in Finance, Accounting or maybe Economics. Nobody hires a "manager". You have to be good at something and work your way up. Marketing is sales. You often don't have to have a degree to be good at sales. Nursing has been good to me. My wife is also an RN. We've moved around the country, never paid for a move, earn fairly good money, usually have worked 3 days a week (12-hr shifts), and really feel we've made a difference in someone's life each day. Hard to beat.

Thanks for the heads up dude, I'm glad I chose the right major(accounting).

power_play21
10-22-2007, 09:18 PM
I'm in no way interested in Med school, but discussions with various professors indicate that this is false. They discussed how med schools will often look for more diversely educated students, who could take specific courses before or at the start of the program and so forth.

I'm sure this isn't the case in all schools or even the majority, but I'm sure it's valid in many.

im 100% sure of what im saying, and it applies to most MD medical schools in the USA. maybe your thinking of ostheopathic, where standards are lower and requirements are different. second, i am talking about, and i stress this once again, RECOMMENDED courses (not really once you put it down on paper though).

my advisor was an admissions officer for hopkins and harvard medical schools, and is the current dean of admissions for the michigan state medical school. this is information coming from him, therefore my 100% certainty in it.

anyways, this is beyond the scope of this thread.