PDA

View Full Version : 1HBH drive that has little topspin, is that ok?

AznHylite
10-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Right now, I am fairly consistent with my 1HBH after only about 7 months of playing. However, my hitting partner told me that my 1HBH was quite flat and didn't have much topspin. Is it ok to keep on going like this, or should I try to add some topspin in?

Rickson
10-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Right now, I am fairly consistent with my 1HBH after only about 7 months of playing. However, my hitting partner told me that my 1HBH was quite flat and didn't have much topspin. Is it ok to keep on going like this, or should I try to add some topspin in?

Just go from low to high for topspin. I prefer my flat drive over my topspin anyway so keep on doing what you're doing as long as it's effective. Topspin is overrated anyway.

Seifersquall1
10-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Yup, topspin is good :D

ananda
10-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Just go from low to high for topspin. I prefer my flat drive over my topspin anyway so keep on doing what you're doing as long as it's effective. Topspin is overrated anyway.
i've been meaning to ask this, is LOW TO HIGH all that is required to get topspin.
I never really see the ball spinning though i believe i try brushing hard (eb bh, sw fh).
I have recently lowered the string tension from 61 to 58 thinking maybe that could be an issue. Two other possible factors are: very old balls, poly strings ??

Mahboob Khan
10-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Each ball is hit with purpose; some time more topspin, sometime less topspin; some time underspin. It depends on the hitting situation and your ability to make that shot.

Topspin keeps you in the rally longer because because of the arc/loop the ball stays in the court. Since flat balls go more on a forward-path and clear the net quite low, they are likely to go long or in the net. Topspin assures safety to your game.

Consider face of the ball as a clock. The strings move on the ball from low to high i.e. brush the ball from 6 to 12 o'clock positions. Other things to remember is to bend your kneeds (raise your front foot as you execute), get the racket under the ball, and brush the ball from low to high position causing the ball to rotate forward-upward.

AznHylite
10-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Each ball is hit with purpose; some time more topspin, sometime less topspin; some time underspin. It depends on the hitting situation and your ability to make that shot.

Topspin keeps you in the rally longer because because of the arc/loop the ball stays in the court. Since flat balls go more on a forward-path and clear the net quite low, they are likely to go long or in the net. Topspin assures safety to your game.

Consider face of the ball as a clock. The strings move on the ball from low to high i.e. brush the ball from 6 to 12 o'clock positions. Other things to remember is to bend your kneeds (raise your front foot as you execute), get the racket under the ball, and brush the ball from low to high position causing the ball to rotate forward-upward.

Alright, thank you Khan! Appreciate it. And for all the rest of you too!

Rickson
10-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Look, if it ain't broke then don't try to fix it. Some of the best one handed backhands in the world are flat. Justine hits some of the best flat one handers around. If your backhand is consistent and flat then don't add topspin just because your friend says it has no spin. I love my flat drives.

paulfreda
10-14-2007, 09:04 PM
If you have only been playing for 7 months, I would agree with Rickson. Stick with your consistent flat ball. Tommy Haas's BH is basically flat and it is a jewel of the game.

The reason getting good topspin on a BH is hard has to do with human anatomy and the difficulty of getting low to high speed in a BH swing. This is difficult for even accomplished players.

If you really want to learn to hit good BH top, change your grip to a SW and study Gaudio and Kuerten BH's. Also, the Tom Avery tape on the BH in his Consistent Tennis Wins series is outstanding. Highly recommend it.

Good luck

soyizgood
10-14-2007, 09:14 PM
I've been trying to do a 1HBH, but mine's pretty much flat (between a continental and eastern). When I try for topspin, it either flies out or comes off my racquet in a way that perplexes me. My 2HBH is quite good for various spins and angles and is my best shot. Oh well I guess the 1HBH will just be a rally shot for me because my 2HBH is the breadwinner.

Gundam
10-14-2007, 09:20 PM
The reason getting good topspin on a BH is hard has to do with human anatomy and the difficulty of getting low to high speed in a BH swing. This is difficult for even accomplished players.

I think 1HBH is actually as easy as a shot to execute than FH (in a sense). It's going from 'coiled body in unnatural closed form' to uncoiled, open body'. On the contrary, FH is from open to closed, uncoiled to coiled.

I mean, just lower your body, use proper grip and swing low to high will bring you a good topspin 1HBH. As you become confident, you can swing faster to get pace. It's good to hear that your flat 1HBH is working fine but wouldn't it be nice to be versatile? There might be days your flat shots don't work. Then topspin will give you extra margin until you recover your 'feel'.

rum02
10-14-2007, 10:39 PM
keep it simple. keep doing what works for you. if your flat one handed backhand is landing in the court 9.5 times out of 10 and is effective why try to change that? I personally find the backhand much easier to hit than the forehand (on all shots; slice, top spin, flat, lob etc).

downdaline
10-15-2007, 02:26 AM
^^^ same here, im like a mini-Gasquet, my friends say...

But in all seriousness, a flatter backhand will normally land deep with good pace. And Im sure there'll be times when you want to hit a sharp angled backhand and *that* will require topspin. So YES, learn how to hit a topspin backhand, but that doesnt mean you have to topspin all the time.

The trick with topspin is not to overhit it, brush upwards with good pace and shoulder rotation. That should do it.

AznHylite
10-15-2007, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the help guys! :)

wihamilton
10-15-2007, 06:45 AM

I wouldn't try and "change" your backhand, per se, if you already hit a consistent / effective shot. I would, however, learn how to hit w/topspin -- you definitely want to be able to roll over the ball when necessary, b/c there are all sorts of situations when that will be the correct play. add as many weapons to the arsenal as possible.

Mahboob Khan
10-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Look, if it ain't broke then don't try to fix it. Some of the best one handed backhands in the world are flat. Justine hits some of the best flat one handers around. If your backhand is consistent and flat then don't add topspin just because your friend says it has no spin. I love my flat drives.

If the swing is from low to high (high-low-high) the ball is bound to pick up some topspin. It cannot be dubbed flat. I do agree that some balls will have more topspin, and some less. I have yet to see a ball which has no spin (it has either topspin or underspin). And for a 7-month beginner it is better to hit with topspin because topspin provides inbuilt safety. As your ability improves you can then vary it depending on the hitting situations.

Rickson
10-15-2007, 06:45 PM
If the swing is from low to high (high-low-high) the ball is bound to pick up some topspin. It cannot be dubbed flat. I do agree that some balls will have more topspin, and some less. I have yet to see a ball which has no spin (it has either topspin or underspin). And for a 7-month beginner it is better to hit with topspin because topspin provides inbuilt safety. As your ability improves you can then vary it depending on the hitting situations.

Mahboob, you've been an online coach to me and I certainly don't have your tennis experience, but if this guy is hitting consistent flat shots, shouldn't he stick with them for a while instead of adding topspin just because his friend made a comment? I know my flat backhand bombs are more difficult to deal with than my topspin backhands. I know there's the margin of error issue, but he's claiming consistency with flat backhands.

Slazenger
10-15-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm with Mahboob on this one. Like he said, every ball has it's purpose, some with more topspin than others, so you have to have the ability to vary that topspin.
You said Justine hits a lot of her backhands flat, which is true, but she can also hit heavy topspin drives of her backhand wing, or use it to hit serious cross-court angles or 1HBH topspin lobs.
It will only make him a better and more consistent player.

No one is asking him to abandon his flat backhand. Rather it is being suggested he add a topspin backhand to his repertoire.

Pancho
10-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Topspin is overrated anyway.

Oh yeah? Topspin overated? Tell that to Nadal! Nadal's topspins are such a incredible killers that noone could beat him on Clay. If you can hit incredible topspins like Nadal - it wil be hard for anyone to return shots like that. This is why Nadal is the #1 Clay court player in the world.

Andres
10-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Oh yeah? Topspin overated? Tell that to Nadal! Nadal's topspins are such a incredible killers that noone could beat him on Clay. If you can hit incredible topspins like Nadal - it wil be hard for anyone to return shots like that. This is why Nadal is the #1 Clay court player in the world.
And that's why Nadal is winning every single hardcourt, grass and carpet event he enters.

soyizgood
10-16-2007, 02:45 PM

Can you explain why Federer wins on all surfaces with an Extreme-Eastern grip? Or how Sampras won 14 slams with an Eastern grip? Your boy Nadal is the dirtball king, while he gets OWNED on non-clay surfaces (Indian Wells was a fluke win).

Rickson
10-16-2007, 05:25 PM
Oh yeah? Topspin overated?

I'll take flat bombs any day over topspin loopers. Yeah, Pancho, overrated.

Mahboob Khan
10-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Mahboob, you've been an online coach to me and I certainly don't have your tennis experience, but if this guy is hitting consistent flat shots, shouldn't he stick with them for a while instead of adding topspin just because his friend made a comment? I know my flat backhand bombs are more difficult to deal with than my topspin backhands. I know there's the margin of error issue, but he's claiming consistency with flat backhands.

If he is consistent with his flat shots then it is okay. I said what I said based on my experience as a player, as a coach, and as a father/coach of my daughter, Sarah Mahboob Khan, who hits flat. She is Pakistan number 1 because she hits flat .. or should we say so that she hits flat .. compared to other girls who hit with tonnes of topspin. Sarah beats them with flat shots because her shots travel through the air quicker. But then she also lost close matches to international players who would pull Sarah real wide and back to her forehand or backhand corner; from this far position Sarah's forehand goes into the net 80% of the time. In Sri Lanka ITF Junior Championships, Sarah was up against this Korean girl Da-bin Kim. Sarah lost the first set 2/6 (thanks to her flat shots that found the net or outside); in the second Sarah was more consistent and was up 3/0, and then 3/1 and had a game point to go up 4/1 but series of flat shots landed in the net or outside, and the score was 4-all; and then 4/5, and then 5-all, and down 5/6 and a game point to push the set into a tiebreak but on all those occasions Sarah missed easy balls with flat shots. Had she used my advice to apply more topspin-depth on deeper balls, and modify the swing pattern on mid-court shots, she would have won the second set and possibly the match in three sets; but she lost in two sets. In doubles, Sarah/partner were up 5/4 final set and match point, but lost 5/7 in the third. Having spent so much money and losing in such a manner where we had chances, the losses were confidence shattering. I went through a mental trauma. But this is tennis.

I am not against flat bombs .. as long as they do not burn the net; and as long as they do not explode outside of the court. Yes, at some point the player should adapt. He/she must know where she is on the court, what is the hitting situation (short, easier ball, or deep/difficult ball), what is the element of difficulty, and then come up with a matching response; it could be via a flat shot if the intention is to outquick his/her opponent, or a topspin drive if the intention is to build the point .. to cook the ball such that it could be put away via a flatter stroke later.

We all are saying the same thing but with different flavour.

Good work, Rickson.

Mahboob Khan

In D Zone
10-17-2007, 12:54 PM
Why can Top Spin be overated?

It is for those who only knows how to hit the ball on one mode.... FLAT!

Being able to hit a variety of shots other than flat offers you alot more advantages than just one plain flat shots.

If you think Fed or Samparas don't hit topspins on their back hand - you are wrong. In order to hit a sharp angle with 1bh, you need add some air to your ball to go over the net. Guess what... you need to hit it with a spin (topspin), especially if the incoming ball is travelling low.

Slazenger
10-17-2007, 06:20 PM
Can you explain why Federer wins on all surfaces with an Extreme-Eastern grip? Or how Sampras won 14 slams with an Eastern grip? Your boy Nadal is the dirtball king, while he gets OWNED on non-clay surfaces (Indian Wells was a fluke win).

Umm Federer hits with serious topspin. Not sure what you are implying with the extreme-eastern grip but topspin is definitely not overrated for Federer.

And Sampras won 14 slams (half on grass btw) because he possesses the single BEST serve (1st and 2nd) in all of tennis, not to mention some of the best volleys of all time. He also could hit hella topspin on his forehand with his eastern grip. Check out a bunch of his angled running forehands. There are several on youtube. Topspin was not overrated for Sampras either.

In D Zone
10-17-2007, 07:36 PM

My advise is both, keep going with what is work ... and start working on the topspin (simply drop your racquet from low to high). It is always good to add topspin to your weapon, it helps u keep the ball in especially on long rallys. Trust me you will need it as you progress you'll start playing opponents who will offer you different types and angle of shots.