PDA

View Full Version : can swinging at the ball too early cause u to not make clean/solid contact?

i love t3nn1s
10-13-2007, 09:00 PM
sorry if this is a stupid question...but can swinging too early cause u to not make clean/solid contact... becuz before i was swinging very early at the ball and i think that caused me to frame or not hit the sweet spot..and when i waited for the ball a little longer to hit, i started making great clean/solid contact.. so the question is,...could swinging too early be a factor in NOT making solid/clean contact right on the sweetspot???

Seifersquall1
10-13-2007, 09:08 PM
If it's not comfortable, then don't swing early to hit the ball.

i love t3nn1s
10-13-2007, 09:50 PM
its not that itz not comfterable..actually i dont really feel it..but its just that i noticed the difference and i wanna get some of other ppls opinions

Ross K
10-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Seeing as how tennis is a game for which timing and rhthym are crucial factors, the quick answer to your question is obvious (see above title!) As to more detailed (and helpful) tips for what I'd call an issue of timing, well...

There's the old counting to 3 after the bounce and hitting ball on 3; there's ensuring you've got your racket prepared and back as early as possible (some say, if poss, BEFORE the bounce); you can co-ordinate the bounce and hit with actually saying it ('bounce' and 'hit') as it happens; I'd also recommend you pay careful attention to your footwork - rhythym and timing can be effected if you're too flat-footed or back on your heels (and often you won't realise you're guilty of this); there's the way you're turning outwards to the side, etc, etc.

In short, there's a quite few possible causes of timing problems and possible solutions to help improve these problems. I'm sure more info will be posted by others.

Loco4Tennis
10-14-2007, 03:05 AM
grip can also change the point of contact with the ball and put pressure on your timing
with a semi western grip you have to hit the ball a little further ahead then a eastern grip, hence reducing your time to react,
if you play with multiple grips your point of contact is going to change and your timing as well

kimizz
10-14-2007, 03:23 AM
Yes swinging too early is one of the basic mistakes you can do. Even with sw-grip you need to check your not hitting too much in front. During the contact you need to be able to push and lift the ball. If the contact point is too much infront you will lack in power.

Tennismastery
10-14-2007, 08:24 AM
Actually swinging early is not directly a cause of mishits or not making clean contact. It simply means you are not going to direct your shot to where you want it to go. In other words, if you are aiming down the line with a forehand and you hit it early, it will go crosscourt. (Depending on HOW early you swing at it.)

However, the body knows this in the split second of the swing and will try to counter this action usually by decelerating the racquet to regain an optimal contact zone and time. It is the subconscious swing change that happens usually near the moment of contact that creates mishits and or not making clean contact. Most players can't even feel this because the body is sort of overriding the player's conscious control of the stroke. But, you can imagine the amount of 'pollution' in the swing when the body is trying to compensate for the miss timing of the swing for the desired trajectory.

This is one of the reasons a lot of people have difficulty making clean contact. (There are other reasons too...from not tracking the ball well, to twitches in the swing near contact, to being in poor position for the stroke.)

rosenstar
10-14-2007, 09:11 AM
sorry if this is a stupid question...but can swinging too early cause u to not make clean/solid contact... becuz before i was swinging very early at the ball and i think that caused me to frame or not hit the sweet spot..and when i waited for the ball a little longer to hit, i started making great clean/solid contact.. so the question is,...could swinging too early be a factor in NOT making solid/clean contact right on the sweetspot???

I believe so. Everyone has there own strike zone. this is a place where you can hit the ball comfortabley. If you have troube taking the ball early and out in front of you, then wait until it drops.

taking the ball early is a good idea if you can do it, but if you can't, then don't. The ball is moving faster so it is harder to time your shot.

Mahboob Khan
10-15-2007, 06:28 PM
I am for "timely" swing. You can prepare early (watching the ball, moving to the ball, taking preparatory swing), but the execution should be timely making sure that there is no hitch in the backswing, forward swing, contact, and follow through.