PDA

View Full Version : First time going poly..

Teh_pwnerer
10-13-2007, 11:14 PM
So ive been using nylon since like forever, and since i read that polys have more spin and control, today i broke ma strings so i said, lets go see what poly's about, so im thinking about going poly at 55, i currently use nylon at 57, no arm problems, its a k95 tho and i dont know if it has anything to do with it, (duh of course it does, but i dont know lolz).

So should i string it any lower or 55 is fine?

budkid
10-13-2007, 11:21 PM
55lbs is a good tension to start at. Poly does lose tension after a while you could feel a lower tension.

gerikoh
10-13-2007, 11:23 PM
k95 right? 18x20 or 16x18?

Teh_pwnerer
10-13-2007, 11:24 PM
16x18. Thanks for the quick reply.

Teh_pwnerer
10-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Well after reading that poly goes dead pretty quick, i dont know if i should try it, i usually break strings every 2 n a half weeks or so..

LPShanet
10-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Well after reading that poly goes dead pretty quick, i dont know if i should try it, i usually break strings every 2 n a half weeks or so..

At the very least, the poly will get you some additional string life. You'll probably find it a bit hard/boardy/dead at first compared to your current string, but once you're used to it, you'll find that you can swing harder, and the ball will still stay in. You'll have to experiment with tension, though.

Teh_pwnerer
10-14-2007, 11:00 AM
At the very least, the poly will get you some additional string life. You'll probably find it a bit hard/boardy/dead at first compared to your current string, but once you're used to it, you'll find that you can swing harder, and the ball will still stay in. You'll have to experiment with tension, though.

Hmm i see, see, i have a tournament the 26th or something so i wanna be ready for it, can i get used to poly in 2 weeks?

tbini87
10-14-2007, 11:40 AM

Hmm i see, see, i have a tournament the 26th or something so i wanna be ready for it, can i get used to poly in 2 weeks?

two weeks is enough time to get used to it. and if you break nylon every 2 weeks then i would expect poly to last you longer (maybe 3 weeks to a month). sounds like you are going to use full poly and not a hybrid right? 55 might still be a little stiff, depending on how soft/stiff the poly is that you are using.

budkid
10-14-2007, 11:45 AM
two weeks is enough time to get used to it. and if you break nylon every 2 weeks then i would expect poly to last you longer (maybe 3 weeks to a month). sounds like you are going to use full poly and not a hybrid right? 55 might still be a little stiff, depending on how soft/stiff the poly is that you are using.

it is good to start at 55lbs and work down. Maybe try some soft poly like cyberflash, cyberpower, signum pro poly plasma(SPPP), or pro hurricane.

Teh_pwnerer
10-14-2007, 02:43 PM
Hmm thanks for the replies guys i think ill try it and if i dont like it ill go back to nylon

tbini87
10-14-2007, 02:45 PM
ok, good luck. which strings are you looking at specifically?

Teh_pwnerer
10-14-2007, 03:01 PM
ok, good luck. which strings are you looking at specifically?

Since i string them at a club i dont know, but they are light yellow, umm yeah kinda see through, ill try to find out though.

bertrevert
10-14-2007, 09:15 PM
read this
http://www.tenniswarehouse.com/LC/Strings/polyaddiction.html

he won his tournament! g'luck...

downdaline
10-14-2007, 10:57 PM
All i can say is if you're going from nylon to full poly - Beware of your VOLLEYS...

It took me quite a while to adjust when i switched from a multifilament to poly. Or you could try a softer poly instead.

Anyway, good luck for ur tourney.