PDA

View Full Version : Second Nervous Breakdown

Wuornos
10-14-2007, 04:38 AM
Everything just seems so grey now. There's no home life, no work life and no friends. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find any enjoyment in my usual hobbies of PC games and japanese animation and films. I think my second nervous breakdown is just about here.

There's very little support for mental health problems in the UK. We all had to pay taxes and National Insurance for what used to be a good health service. Now the government has cut funding per capita, the NHS struggles and we all still have to pay the same proportion of our pay. Even the medication I am on now has been crossed off the GP list for medication that can be prescribed to save money. It's Venlafaxine and when I first receved it I was told as an anti depresssant it was none addictive. Now when I'm trying to stop taking it because of government restrictions I find that there are side effects to withdrawal. Apparently this doesn't mean it's addictive as I have no craving for the drug.

I work as a civil servant in a government department and consequently I'm not supposed to discuss anything outside the department. I'm fed up of politicians and newspapers saying civil servants in the UK are lazy and paid to much. Maybe at the senior level, I'm not in a postition to judge, but a few years ago when the national minimum wage was reintroduced it was found that many lower grade staff in my governemnet department were found to be earning below the minimum wage. Of course we weren't allowed to say, the politicians never said anything so the papers and politicians continued to say how we are over paid etc. For the newspapers there's some excuse for the politicians none but it suited them to continue blaming the poor civil servants for all their problems and mistakes.

Sorry for the rant. I'm not feeling well.

Tim

jmsx521
10-14-2007, 05:10 AM
Start reading

start listening to relaxing ambient and new age music

start drawing

Join forums that specialize in mental health issues

Gugafan_Redux
10-15-2007, 08:58 AM
Tim, keep your chin up. There are many anti-depressants, and surely the right person can help you find an effective one that is covered by insurance. It may be the last thing you want to do, but you must reach out to someone, such as a family member or clergy. PC games may have been enjoyable once, and if they aren't any longer, it may be because they are isolating. Don't feel you must enjoy them now or continue enjoying them. Right now, treat your condition. That's most important.

BTW, you're in England -- of course everything's grey! (I lived in Oxford for 9 months.)

Morpheus
10-15-2007, 09:25 AM
Yes, Effexor can be hard to come off of as you tend to get brain zaps and anxiety. Best to wean down to one capsule, then go off for a weekend with people you trust (e.g., family) and just tough it out. It can be very difficult but I don't know of another way to do it.

dr_punk
10-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Tim-

jmsx gave great advice and I can honestly agree with most of what he has said. Music is a great mood enhancer. I would suggest reading on NLP (general stuff) and maybe watching the movie "the secret". Basically Tim, life is what you make it dude, and as much as you may be feeling bad, at this time, the only way to go is up - so don't neglect the feeling to do just that!

You'll be fine Tim, I know it.

Craig Sheppard
10-15-2007, 10:22 AM
I'm no mental health expert, but the 2 things that I suggest to anyone feeling down are socialization and exercise. I realize clinical depression isn't just "feeling down", so don't get on me for that... But playing PC games and watching anime, IMO, aren't going to make you feel better. Talking to friends, family, meeting new people, and being out in the community are far better therapy... and you always get a natural high from exercise that can last quite a while. Just don't over do it. Get outside, cold or not. Hope you feel better.

Morpheus
10-15-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm no mental health expert, but the 2 things that I suggest to anyone feeling down are socialization and exercise...

^ The first thing a psychiatrist will ask a depressed or anxious patient is "Have you exercised today?" In fact, there was a study done recently that indicated that exercise is as effective as the SSRI's in combating depression. You can probably find it by doing a quick google.

Regarding SSRI's (Effexor is not technically an SNRI, but its similar), they are very expensive, but there are generic equivalents for some (e.g., Prozac). You should explore this with your P-Doc as an alternative instead of simply stopping the Effexor.