PDA

View Full Version : Stringing Machines

Matt21
10-14-2007, 05:52 AM
For as much as I experiment with different strings, I figure I've bought a stringing machine a few times over. I'm considering buying a stringer and want to keep cost down. It seems the more affordable ones are tabletop, drop-weight stringers. My question is, how well do those work and is there anyone that prefers drop weight to non-drop-weight machines?

Thanks

shojun25
10-14-2007, 09:06 AM
What's your price range?

I would recommend the Alpha Pioneer DC Plus at $399. It is the same as Gamma Progression II 602 FC at $469. Pioneer has a fixed clamp system (less hassle to operate than floating clamps), 6 point mounting system (less stress on the frame than a 2 point mounting system), and a drop weight system.

The difference with drop weight and cranks are that crank faster to operate and drop weight is a constant pull system. Constant pull is when the string is still being pulled even after the set tension. Most cranks and electric stringing machine do not have the constant pull system; all drop weights do because gravity is constantly pulling on everything).

What ever your choice, I would highly recommend reading more about stringing machines before purchasing.

rjkardo
10-14-2007, 10:26 AM
For as much as I experiment with different strings, I figure I've bought a stringing machine a few times over. I'm considering buying a stringer and want to keep cost down. It seems the more affordable ones are tabletop, drop-weight stringers. My question is, how well do those work and is there anyone that prefers drop weight to non-drop-weight machines?

Thanks

Drop weight stringers will do the job.
They put strings in your racquet. Any of the three main types of stringing machines will put strings in your racquet, and will do so at consistent tensions.

There are certainly people who prefer drop weight stringers. I used one for years and it did the job just fine. I recently bought a crank (which I prefer) but that is my own personal preference.

I would recommend sticking with a trustworthy brand like Alpha or Gamma.
Just my $.02

Rod

LPShanet
10-14-2007, 10:50 AM

Thanks

Obviously, it will depend on your price range. I know many on this board will flame me for saying so, but I've never been convinced that drop weight machines do a great job. There are many who swear by them, but the physics of measurement simply aren't there. I'd suggest that you suck it up and get a decent upright crank machine ($700 - $900 new, but you can definitely get a good used one for less). It will work better and faster, and be more comfortable. While it's a bit of an investment it WILL pay for itself, and you won't have gear envy a couple of years down the road.

pmata814
10-14-2007, 10:57 AM
You can also get a table top crank like the Revo 4000 for like $600 I believe. I bought the Alpha Axis Pro and am very happy with it after 1 year. I plan to buy a wise tension head for christmas now to upgrade to electronic constant pull.

LPShanet
10-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Obviously, it will depend on your price range. I know many on this board will flame me for saying so, but I've never been convinced that drop weight machines do a great job. There are many who swear by them, but the physics of measurement simply aren't there. I'd suggest that you suck it up and get a decent upright crank machine ($700 - $900 new, but you can definitely get a good used one for less). It will work better and faster, and be more comfortable. While it's a bit of an investment it WILL pay for itself, and you won't have gear envy a couple of years down the road.

Just to do a little calculation, you'd only have to string about 20 racquets to pay for the difference in cost between a crappy drop weight machine and an entry level professional upright with crank/spring tensioner.

ARNICOLINI
10-15-2007, 08:04 PM
A drop weight is a great stringer for an entry level stringing machine.

My friend and I split the cost of one to share between us and it does the job well. They are a little slower but they are also considerably cheaper.

You can get a blemished Klippermate (the one we got was blemished and we could not find a scratch on the thing) for $139.

That will hold you for a while without breaking the bank. Once you string for a little while you will really know more about what you really want in a stringer and can make a more experienced decision on a more expensive machine. As long as you use the drop weight stringer as you are supposed to you can achieve a good quality string job.

I put up a piece of paper with line across it every inch and leveled the center of it with the drop weight arm at level. That way I am not eyeballing it so much as to what is level. Added alot more consistency to my string jobs.

I am to the point where I only play 2 or maybe 3 times a week so I am not strings rackets but maybe once a month or so. So for my use a low end stringer suits me just fine. It does make experimenting with different strings a whole lot easier and less expensive.

In my case as well I do not really string for anyone else either except in rare cases. So a more expensive stringer would take alot longer to pay for its self.

Enjoy it which ever you choose.

ledor
10-15-2007, 08:10 PM
I've used a Klippermate drop weight stringer for 10 years, and I'd rather buy a ball machine at $600+ than a stringer, but if money grows on trees for you, then go for it.