PDA

View Full Version : Natural Gut Stringing Tip

kinsella
10-14-2007, 07:19 AM
I am probably the last person to come across this stringing tip, but I don't recall seeing it posted:

After stringing the mains, get out a shoe polish sponge and wipe down both sides of the mains, applying a very thin, even coat of silicone. The kind of shoe polish sponge I am referring to is one that does not have any color or any shoe wax in it -- just adds a quick shine over whatever color the shoe is. The shine comes from silicone imprengated into the sponge.

This silicone coating provides lubrication as you weave and tension the crosses. Weaving natural gut was almost as easy as if I were using a synthetic cross string. It made a HUGE difference stringing an 18 x 20 Radical with Titan, which is practically uncoated and has tremendous friction when rubbed against itself.

Most "synthetic gut" comes with a coating of silicone, sometimes really heavy, which is what gave me the idea. Silicone won't hurt the strings and it is quickly rubbed off during play.

This is just for 100% natural gut string jobs. Applying some kind of lube is often mentioned, but I have never heard of anything so convenient and effective to put a thin, uniform lube on the strings.

HedwigEMK
10-14-2007, 07:25 AM
Anyone tried this? Any impact on hitting?

LttlElvis
10-14-2007, 07:27 AM
Nice tip. Most people use candle wax or Gulf wax rubbed on the mains. I doubt it has any impact on the hitting or longevity of the gut.