PDA

View Full Version : need some facts about computers/laptops

abenguyen
10-14-2007, 08:23 PM
so i've had this sony vaio laptop for about 3 years now. my cousin had the same model just bigger. so his broke somehow and mine has lasted long and my family bought it before him. SO, i sometimes (once a month) leave my computer on to download movies and of course it gets hot because it stays on and the screen gets hot. my parents got mad at me cause they say it is so hot and will burn and catch on fire. and they yelled at me and all. but i've done this about 10-15 times now and nothing has happened. the computer still runs fast and everything. so has anybody here experienced or know about laptops exploding or catching on fire because they are left on too long? i told my parents i've done it before but they won't believe me. i rarely do it and they had to get on me and they came in and shut it off when i was sleeping that night so my movie ended up not downloading

Gmedlo
10-14-2007, 08:38 PM
A laptop only blows up when it has a battery problem, and those happen spontaneously. As long as the laptop is on, there is a .0001% chance that a sony battery will explode (most laptops use sony batteries– in the past few years they have had lawsuits from exploding batteries.) The level of activity doesn't matter.

If they are really that concerned, they can buy you one of these.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834998051

Shahar26
10-14-2007, 08:59 PM
There is no problem leaving a computer / laptop on 24/7.

At least not if you don't live with your parents ;)

angharad
10-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Some laptops (like mine) will shut off as a safety measure when they get too hot. I don't mean it begins to shut down, I mean the power cuts out entirely and it's unable to be restarted until it's cooled down. I've rarely had that happen, but it's a problem when it does.

Gugafan_Redux
10-15-2007, 09:51 AM
As long as it's on a hard surface such as a desk or table, not on a bed or blankets, so the vents and fan are blocked. To really appease your parents, pick up one of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=laptop+cooler

abenguyen
10-16-2007, 04:05 PM
i tell them but they won't believe me. so i'm now forced to turn it off everytime i go somewhere. i might pick one of those cooling fans up. and i always leave it on my desk but w/e

Shahar26
10-16-2007, 04:34 PM
i tell them but they won't believe me. so i'm now forced to turn it off everytime i go somewhere. i might pick one of those cooling fans up. and i always leave it on my desk but w/e

Back when the internet was just a baby, my mom would get upset when I would tell her I visited sites abroad (we were in Israel back then), she thought it would increase the phone bill :grin:

Try to find an article on it, maybe on pc magazine or something like it and show them....

abenguyen
10-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Back when the internet was just a baby, my mom would get upset when I would tell her I visited sites abroad (we were in Israel back then), she thought it would increase the phone bill :grin:

Try to find an article on it, maybe on pc magazine or something like it and show them....

i would but i've tried things like that before and they still wouldn't believe me saying the magazine or article is "false"

Shahar26
10-16-2007, 06:30 PM
i would but i've tried things like that before and they still wouldn't believe me saying the magazine or article is "false"

There's not much I can say to that...

abenguyen
10-16-2007, 07:35 PM
There's not much I can say to that...

me neither it seems like you can't convince parents minds anymore

richw76
10-18-2007, 04:48 PM
me neither it seems like you can't convince parents minds anymore

20 years ago they were right... maybe. I remember when if you left rechargeable batteries plugged in to long it started fires. But like the first guy said unless you get one of those bad batteries(and no laptop maker uses those bad batteries anymore) you should be good.

Truth is usually the first thing to go on any computer is the power supply. Sometimes when ps goes bad it takes out the motherboard and/or the processor. It has been suggested for years that you "age" you power supply more quickly turning the pc on and off. Since the surges etc from the bootup sequence tax the components greater than simply leaving it on.

And to your parents well....... I'm assuming they paid for the laptop so give them the facts if they want to hear it, but basically you get to suck it up and take it. when you get your own house and buy your own laptop you get to do what you want ;-)

abenguyen
10-18-2007, 05:39 PM
20 years ago they were right... maybe. I remember when if you left rechargeable batteries plugged in to long it started fires. But like the first guy said unless you get one of those bad batteries(and no laptop maker uses those bad batteries anymore) you should be good.

Truth is usually the first thing to go on any computer is the power supply. Sometimes when ps goes bad it takes out the motherboard and/or the processor. It has been suggested for years that you "age" you power supply more quickly turning the pc on and off. Since the surges etc from the bootup sequence tax the components greater than simply leaving it on.

And to your parents well....... I'm assuming they paid for the laptop so give them the facts if they want to hear it, but basically you get to suck it up and take it. when you get your own house and buy your own laptop you get to do what you want ;-)

yea ur right about that last part. its almost exactly like what they said lol

movdqa
10-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Suggestions:

1) Get the laptop cleaned out. Dirt and dust can accumulate in the cooling ducts inside the laptop. If you have a vacuum cleaner that can work in reverse mode, try blowing air through the air vents. I've taken laptops apart to clean them out in the past. This isn't recommended on a Vaio unless you know what you're doing. I have a friend that trashed a $2,200 Vaio trying to take it apart (he has a $3,000 MacBook Pro now).
2) If your processor supports voltage and frequency management, find a program that will throttle the CPU when the temperature gets to a certain point. Or underclock the CPU when you leave it on overnight.
3) Put the laptop on four offsets. These can be post-it note pads, soup cans, etc. Anything to improve the airflow.
4) Check to see if the fans (if there is more than one) is working. Sometimes fans need to be replaced.
5) If you're running an operating system that has multiple power modes, run it on max battery.
6) If this is a Pentium 4 laptop, replace it. I think that it's more likely a Pentium M laptop which isn't a bad chip.

abenguyen
10-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Suggestions:

1) Get the laptop cleaned out. Dirt and dust can accumulate in the cooling ducts inside the laptop. If you have a vacuum cleaner that can work in reverse mode, try blowing air through the air vents. I've taken laptops apart to clean them out in the past. This isn't recommended on a Vaio unless you know what you're doing. I have a friend that trashed a $2,200 Vaio trying to take it apart (he has a $3,000 MacBook Pro now).
2) If your processor supports voltage and frequency management, find a program that will throttle the CPU when the temperature gets to a certain point. Or underclock the CPU when you leave it on overnight.
3) Put the laptop on four offsets. These can be post-it note pads, soup cans, etc. Anything to improve the airflow.
4) Check to see if the fans (if there is more than one) is working. Sometimes fans need to be replaced.
5) If you're running an operating system that has multiple power modes, run it on max battery.
6) If this is a Pentium 4 laptop, replace it. I think that it's more likely a Pentium M laptop which isn't a bad chip.

whoa thanks i assume you know your computer stuff of course. this a centrino laptop actually. don't plan on opening it up had bad experience with opening some other electronic up(old style ps2, it won't even turn on anymore had to get a new one). ill look into the cpu and fan stuff

movdqa
10-19-2007, 04:38 AM
Centrino is a branding of the CPU, network adapter and the chipset. The processors supported under Centrino have been the Pentium M, Core Duo and Core 2 Duo. The Core 2 Duo mobile chip was released Fall 2006. Core Duo was early 2006. So it looks like you have a Pentium M.

My friend with the Vaio that he opened up and never put back to gether also had two other Vaio laptops. I think that he gave one away and the other is probably gathering dust. All he's been buying is Apple stuff lately.

High heat can destroy other components too, particularly the disk drive. If you have important stuff on it, you should back it up as a high-temp operating environment will shorten the life of the drive. It might also be a good idea to defragment your disk.

origmarm
10-19-2007, 04:46 AM
The PC tech at work says:
1) Heat is not a problem providing your vents are clear. It will not catch fire etc..
2) Heat can cause your disk drive to go wrong, movdqa appear to mention this also below.
3) Your parents may have read in the press of Sony recalling batteries in 2006 and more recently Dell.
Dell: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4793143.stm
Sony: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15254251/
Both apparently due to fire risks. The media apparently overhyped this per the tech but that may be where they heard it.

Good luck with pursuading them. I leave mine on quite a bit (HP) and it seems to be fine providing you make sure its on a desk or similar surface and the vents are clear

abenguyen
10-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Centrino is a branding of the CPU, network adapter and the chipset. The processors supported under Centrino have been the Pentium M, Core Duo and Core 2 Duo. The Core 2 Duo mobile chip was released Fall 2006. Core Duo was early 2006. So it looks like you have a Pentium M.

My friend with the Vaio that he opened up and never put back to gether also had two other Vaio laptops. I think that he gave one away and the other is probably gathering dust. All he's been buying is Apple stuff lately.

High heat can destroy other components too, particularly the disk drive. If you have important stuff on it, you should back it up as a high-temp operating environment will shorten the life of the drive. It might also be a good idea to defragment your disk.

yea got me a 250gb external hard drive. got it pretty cheap too for $80