PDA

View Full Version : Poly breaking on dropweight

WildVolley
10-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Arrgghh! I keep breaking Topspin CF when stringing on my SP Swing. I think the string is being weakened where it goes into the string gripper. Once, it removed from the gripper, there's still a fairly sharp bend in the string that doesn't want to go away and makes it hard to feed through the grommets. On tensioning the next main through one of those angled corner grommets, it cleanly popped.

I love poly, I just need to figure out how to efficiently string it on my machine. Any advice on how to avoid this problem?

IanRichardson
10-14-2007, 10:14 PM
i had the same problem on my similar drop weight machine stringing the same string. I have no trouble stringing other polys i just cant get CF to work on a drop weight. What tension were you trying to string at? Remember to always drop the tension by about 10% if you are stringing a poly to start with, if that doesnt work im not sure what the next plan should be. But i do feel your pain about snapping polys on a dropweight, especially cyberflash...

qwerty66
10-14-2007, 10:24 PM
um... CF 75lb on a klippermate
no problems

diredesire
10-15-2007, 12:51 AM
make sure the grommet isn't popping out when you tension, this happens all the time on newer frames/brand new bumper sets.

IanRichardson
10-15-2007, 08:26 AM
no problems

that is impressive... i cant imagine that. I cant even imagine hitting anything strung that high, esp not a poly. What frame was that on?

shojun25
10-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Check the grommets maybe? Also, you can use leather strips on those sharp angles to soften the edge of the grommet.

qwerty66
10-15-2007, 04:36 PM
that is impressive... i cant imagine that. I cant even imagine hitting anything strung that high, esp not a poly. What frame was that on?

ti.radical mp

WildVolley
10-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the replies.

It may be the grommets, but I don't seem to have any problem with other strings. I've strung Silent Partner Roly Poly on my Head MP radical without any difficult. The TSCF broke at the 6B grommet. Perhaps CF is more easily damaged than some of the other copolys. I still think the kink at the string gripper had something to do with it. I don't know if I'll try again with this string. 2-1/2 hours, including the break, is too long to string a racquet.

Northpaw
10-15-2007, 07:19 PM
I would assume that your drop weight machine doesn't have a ratcheting motion, because if it does, it makes stringing poly relatively easy. I would check out xtremerunnar's videos. Basically what he does is start with the arm out at horizontal, then tie the string around the drum, then bring the arm up while pulling on the leftover string, then letting the arm drop, fixing it so that it's horizontal with the ratcheting motion if necessary.

Of course, it's easier to understand if you see it, so I would again, suggest checking out xtremerunnar's videos.

goober
10-15-2007, 09:18 PM
I have strung CF about 8 times on the SP Swing. Never had it snap. Be careful not to kink it. That's probably the only thing I do differently with polys.

The SP does have a ratchet but I don't know how you can start it from horizontal. Maybe it is a different mechanism. The SP one allows you to get the bar horizontal if you overshoot it without taking the string out.

bmichaelia
10-16-2007, 12:45 PM
no problems

75#? Glad to hear no problems, but Geez my arm would be killing me.
No problems for me either, on Alpha Pioneer ( 56-60#)