PDA

View Full Version : What poly?

Commando Tennis Shorts
10-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Hey, guys. . .I've never really bothered with the whole hybrid setup thing, but I think I might give it a try. I've always played with poly strings. As of recently, I've switched to synthetic gut b/c I love the softer, more buttery feel. The syn gut feels great on my arm, and I really like its playability. I miss the control I had with my poly strings, though.

Some friends of mine talked about how they use poly on the mains and syn gut (or nat gut) on the crosses to get both a soft feel and control. Does this work? I use Prince Synthetic Gut Original. I play with a lot of spin and bash it out from the baseline. I would like a more control-oriented, very spin-friendly poly. Any ideas?

Thanks!

downdaline
10-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Prince Synthetic Gut Original isnt a very durable string in my opinion, so i'd shy away from those very stiff polys like Luxilon. Your baseline bashing would make the stiff strings eat into your soft synthetic gut.

I'd recommend softer polys like Topspin Cyberflash, Signum Pro Poly Plasma, Polyfibre TCS or Babolat Pro Hurricane (not the TOUR version).

Commando Tennis Shorts
10-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply---I'll look into those

Any other recommendations from anyone?

PROTENNIS63
10-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Topspin Cyber Flash, Topspin Cyber Power, Pro Supex Big Ace, Pro Supex Blue Gear (hex shaped), Signum Pro Poly Plasma, are all soft polys. Polyfibre TCS is great if you don't mind tension loss.

Commando Tennis Shorts
10-17-2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks guys!

LPShanet
10-17-2007, 11:57 PM
Hey, guys. . .I've never really bothered with the whole hybrid setup thing, but I think I might give it a try. I've always played with poly strings. As of recently, I've switched to synthetic gut b/c I love the softer, more buttery feel. The syn gut feels great on my arm, and I really like its playability. I miss the control I had with my poly strings, though.

Some friends of mine talked about how they use poly on the mains and syn gut (or nat gut) on the crosses to get both a soft feel and control. Does this work? I use Prince Synthetic Gut Original. I play with a lot of spin and bash it out from the baseline. I would like a more control-oriented, very spin-friendly poly. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Although Luxilon can be tough in general, the Luxilon Fluoro is softer and more elastic than the rest, and you might like it. It's got the rigidity of poly (and the control) but is a little softer than most.