PDA

View Full Version : I missed two mains on my PS 6.0 85!

Dennis Chan
10-15-2007, 12:09 AM
:mad: Yes stupid me! I missed the last two mains (one on each side) on my PS 6.0 85. Now it is 14 x 18 instead of 16 x 18. I strung it with a soft syn @55 lbs.

Did this happen to you? Either way do you think playability would be affected by the missing mains?

Thanks in advance.

downdaline
10-15-2007, 01:56 AM
Erm well i guess if u hit in the centre most of the time then it shouldnt be *that* big of a problem and no, it shouldnt affect playability.

Take note that this may affect string durability since there is a great amount of stress on the mains now.

Hehe... be careful next time dude...

psp2
10-15-2007, 05:32 AM
Erm well i guess if u hit in the centre most of the time then it shouldnt be *that* big of a problem and no, it shouldnt affect playability.

Take note that this may affect string durability since there is a great amount of stress on the mains now.

Hehe... be careful next time dude...

Would you care to offer an attempt of an explanation as to why you throw out baseless comments like this?

Come on... give it a shot.

shojun25
10-15-2007, 05:52 AM
does it play like a POG now? ;)

theace21
10-15-2007, 05:52 AM
I would just play with it. I don't think it is going to effect playability, and put any negative stress on the frame. If someone paid you to string their racket, I would have either restrung before I gave it to them, or give them a free string job next time.

origmarm
10-15-2007, 07:12 AM
Words fail me....
Personally I would restring it. Not sure if the frame would be damaged by playing with it, I would guess probably nothing dramatic but then it could crack as the stresses on it would be different.

brownyazn
10-15-2007, 07:34 AM
i was wondering how you miss mains
didn't you check?

kingdaddy41788
10-15-2007, 07:59 AM
It would definitely affect playability. No question.

Also, there will be undue stress on the frame. It's just a bad idea. I don't think it'll be that bad, but it could be.

LPShanet
10-15-2007, 09:46 AM
It would definitely affect playability. No question.

Also, there will be undue stress on the frame. It's just a bad idea. I don't think it'll be that bad, but it could be.

Also, I'm not sure if this matters to you, but it will in all likelihood void your warranty if anything happens to the racquet while playing with it this way. I'd suggest cutting it out and restringing to be safe.

Steve Huff
10-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Your frame will be ok. You'll have a livelier stringbed (more power, less control). It will look a little funny too, with two empty grommets.

jmverdugo
10-16-2007, 05:53 AM

Would you care to offer an attempt of an explanation as to why you throw out baseless comments like this?

Ill give it a shot... or not , i think it is the same amount of stress, because it will be the same amount of mains receiveng the hit of the ball, if he would have miss a main near the center of the racket then it may be a problem, because some times the contact point would have less mains to absorb the hit. does this make any sens? :o

anyway, i dont think it will be a problem, i would just play with the racket, unless is an important match, because ill start to blame the string job for my mistakes ;)

fishuuuuu
10-16-2007, 10:23 AM

You string only four mains on a racquet, but you string 18 crosses ... there is an imbalance of tension across the frame.

Now you string 14 of 16, but you string 18 to 20 crosses, there is an imbalance of tension across the frame.

Whether or not it is critically damaging for the frame is subject to debate, but the fact is that there is a difference, and that difference isn't what the manufacturer intended.

stician
10-16-2007, 11:14 AM
:mad: Yes stupid me! I missed the last two mains (one on each side) on my PS 6.0 85. Now it is 14 x 18 instead of 16 x 18. I strung it with a soft syn @55 lbs.

Did this happen to you? Either way do you think playability would be affected by the missing mains?

Thanks in advance.

I think so.. the frame may experience uneven pressure... I would redo them

tbini87
10-16-2007, 11:31 AM
can we please get a response on how you pulled that one off? i would think most people would be so embarassed that they would cut out the strings and restring as soon as they realized their mistake. and they wouldn't go around this forum telling people about it... haha. at least you have some balls.