PDA

View Full Version : Granville, what are your racquet specs?

legkickbackhand
11-13-2004, 01:24 PM
Granville,
I think you are currently playing either with the Wilson Hyper Pro Staff 6.1 or Head Liquidmetal Prestige Midplus. I'm almost positive you've switched to the head. What are the specs on your Head? Have you added any weight? What string and tension do you use? What overgrip do you prefer? What dampener do you use? Do you use power pads? Also, seeing as you've switched from Wilson to Head, how have you dealt with the different grip shape? Have you customized the Head grip in any way? I enjoy your comments during reviews and I seem to have a game similar to yours (Eastern forehand, continental on everything else, about a 5.5 NTRP). Hope to hear from you soon. And like you say, never change a winning game.

legkickbackhand
11-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Why not switch to the 18 X 20 Wilson Hyper Pro Staff Tour or Wilson n-Code Six-One 95 Team if you like 18 mains?

TW Staff
11-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Granville is currently using the Liquidmetal Prestige Midplus. His racquets are not customized. He was going to change the grip shape, but has left them stock for now.

Chris, TW

legkickbackhand
11-15-2004, 04:05 PM
What kind of strings does Granville use on his racquet and at what tension are they strung at? Does he use a hybrid string job?

twbuyer
11-16-2004, 09:23 AM
Greetings and thanks for the notes -
The switch from my old HPS 6.1 to the LM Prestige MP (stock) has not been easy. The more flexible LMP has forced me to rethink my string choice and tension. My old Babolat X-Cell multi is just too soft for the soft LMP. I've since switched to ALU Banger (soft poly) and upped my tension two pounds to 60-61. After bumping the 4-1/2 grip with a 1/2 size shrink sleeve (they seemed a bit small to me) I've added Fairway leather grips tilting the balance a point or so to the head light side. I do use a tacky overgrip (I like the Forten Wrap Tack). I do use power pads for simple psychological reasons (in reality I don't think they do a thing other than round out any sharp cornters on the center mains). I have not reshaped the grip and it continues to be an issue with me. Don't know what to do on that issue - just playing through it for now.
It is for all the reasons above that I do not like change. Too much time thinking about equipment rather than my opponents weaknesses.
Again - you guys are awesome.
BTW - "Never change a winning game" is a Chris Evert Lloyd quote. My other two favorite tennis quotes are Jimmy Conners - "You don't play tennis to get in shape, you get in shape to play tennis" and lastly, Vitas Gerulaitis after 17 (?) consective losses to Jimmy Connors (?) "Nobody beats Vitas Gerulaitis 18 time in a row." ;-)

BreakPoint
11-16-2004, 10:23 AM
Actually, it was after 16 consecutive losses to Connors that Gerulaitis made that famous quote, "Nobody beats Vitas Gerulaitis 17 times in a row!" :lol:

Another great quote from Connors was, "I hate the look on my opponent's face when they win, more than I hate to lose."

martin
08-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Actually he was talking about Bjorn Borg

leog
08-16-2005, 04:03 PM
Granville,
I had the same problem with the grip shape on Head rackets. It was awesome for my forhand, but my OHBH topspin shots felt terrible. I took the grip off and sanded down the long axis of the pallets, and built up the short axis with electrical tape, to make the handle more of a true octagon. This has helped a lot and I'd highly recommend it.

PrestigeClassic
08-17-2005, 06:32 AM
Heard that four or five strips of masking tape on the two longer sides will work. Would change grip size and shape, as well as keeping the angles well-defined, no more need for sleeves.

BreakPoint
08-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Actually he was talking about Bjorn Borg

No, Vitas was talking about Connors, after he finally beat him at the Masters, not Borg. How much do you want to make a bet on that?

AFAIK, Vitas never beat Borg in a tournamnet match (although he beat him all the time in practice and may have even beaten him in exhibitions).

Mark S. Hogan
08-17-2005, 05:59 PM
BP is correct.