PDA

View Full Version : Contact Point and Timing

Azrael
10-15-2007, 05:29 PM
I have been having some trouble with making good contact on my forehand side. My backhand is perfectly fine, but having poor contact is becoming a major problem and my forehand has been really inconsistent lately.

I've done a quick search, but none of the answers were really satisfactory...
And I'll try to post up a video of myself as soon as I can, but I've been having some trouble finding a hitting partner and have been hitting against the wall for quite some time...

So, for one, when is the best time to start the takeback? And conversely, when is it too late to start the takeback, so I know know when it's best to start because I won't always be able to start the takeback at the best time.
Also, I use a conservative SW on the forehand with a pretty straight arm, so I was wondering what would be the best height to make contact? I've seen Nick Bolletieri's tips on this, but his take on the SW is with a pretty big double bend, which I don't do.
And how far away from my body should my contact point be? I always find myself getting jammed up. Any tips to prevent this (aside from visualizing making contact with the end of the racquet)?
Finally, I know there have been a few threads on this recently, but how can I better watch the ball? I've tried watching for the bounce and going to the bounce, but this makes me jam up even more. Is experience the only solution to reading the height of the bounce and gauge how much the ball will speed up (from topspin) after the bounce?

Sorry for all of the questions and thanks in advance for any response.

BeHappy
10-15-2007, 05:40 PM
http://www.nickbollettieri.com/tips/index.cfm?tipID=9

http://www.nickbollettieri.com/tips/index.cfm?tipID=10

there u go

Azrael
10-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the links BeHappy, but I've seen those before, and like I mentioned in the OP, those SW FH's are with a pretty deep double bend.

I've been trying to find some Safin FH videos to model (since I heard that he uses a more conservative SW and plus he has a monster FH), but aside from the one on the USTA video library, I haven't found much of anything.

Oleg
10-16-2007, 02:35 PM
First a few simple things to help you understand the contact point.

Face the net. When you are in "ready" position your hands (on grip) should be about stomack high , about 6 inches in front of your body, elbows bent at your sides. To demonstrate an approximate contact point for the forehand, pivot your right forearm to the right about 1 foot without moving the elbow. Now lay your wrist down to the right until the frame is parallel to the court. This is about where you want to make contact with the ball.

The sequence of events to hit a groundstroke is as follows:

1. Change the grip and wrist angle for the groundstroke you are about to hit. That should position your string bed into a correct hitting position. No further changes to grip or wrist should be made.

2. Separate you hands if hitting a forehand.

3. Pivot your hitting forearm to the side of the ball about 1 foot. For 2hb the dominant forearm will follow along. Do this as you begin moving to the ball.

2. Move to the location where the ball will bounce using small steps that will allow you to adjust easily. Keep your head and upper body still to maintain balance.

3. Prepare to hit the ball by rotating your upper body and shoulders back and placing the balance on your back foot. This should happen before the ball bounces. No arm or wrist movement should be used.

4. When the ball bounces, the upper body rotation should be completed and the frame should be pointed to the back fence. Begin stepping toward the contact point and transfer the balance to the front foot.

5. Use core muslces to initiate the swing. Maintain your grip and wrist angle. Keep the arms relaxed. Swing in a straight line. The string position should have been established before the takeback and remains the same. The racket should follow your body weight toward the contact point and after the contact continue the follow through until there is no more room for the swing to continue. If everything is properly executed, the head of the racket will now point to the back fence and the string hitting area will point to the side fence.

Practice only against a slow ball to get a feel.

Azrael
10-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks Oleg, you hit upon just about all of my questions (plus some). Any second (or third) opinions out there?