PDA

View Full Version : Getting a tennis book.

Bundey
10-15-2007, 07:53 PM
Okay, I want to get some instructional books on tennis. I am thinking about 'Winning Ugly', since it is so popular. I want to know what is in 'Winning Ugly' though. Does it tell you how to construct point, the mental aspects or what? I want a book that focuses on the mental part of the game, shows little tips that you can use in a match, and shows how to contruct winning points. Please recommend me books, and explain what is in the context of the book, thanks. :grin:

tzinc
10-15-2007, 11:10 PM
I am new to tennis and wanted to get the best instructional book for a beginner. What do you suggest thanks!

lkdog
10-15-2007, 11:17 PM
I am new to tennis and wanted to get the best instructional book for a beginner. What do you suggest thanks!

Tennis Mastery by David Smith is quite good.

Another option is to subscribe to TennisOne or HiTEch Tennis websites for a year.
Both great pay sites.

Fuzzy Yellow Balls is a great free site.

origmarm
10-16-2007, 01:48 AM
Winning Ugly is more about mental strategies (how to prepare yourself mentally and deal with situations on court) and overall game strategies i.e. how to adapt your game to each player. It does not feature point construction strategies. That said I would very much recommend it, I feel that 75% of tennis is mental.

I have ordered Tennis Mastery and am waiting for it to arrive now so I'll give you an update then if you want but it may be a week or so. The author of the book is on this board (ID is TennisMastery) and you can ask him questions about the book. It comes recommended from many on this board also. From what I understand this book covers technique, drills and also mental and point construction. The author was very helpful when I contacted him.

I believe there is a sticky at the top of this page that features books also.

PimpMyGame
10-16-2007, 01:58 AM
Also try "The Inner Game of Tennis" - it's short and to the point, something you could finish off in a couple of lunchtimes. And you will find yourself going back to it after you read it the first time.

tennisplayer89
10-16-2007, 05:10 AM
The Inner Game of Tennis and Winning Ugly are very good books on the mental aspects of tennis. Winning Ugly will teach you how to calm your nerves, control the pace of a match, and disrupt your opponent's mental game.

bluegrasser
10-16-2007, 05:50 AM
" Tennis Mastery" - has everything...

Bundey
10-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Thanks, I'm really only looking to get 1, maybe 2 books though, could you tell me the one that best meets my criterea? Also, origmarm when you read Tennis Mastery, tell me what you think of it.

pmata814
10-16-2007, 11:58 AM
What level player is "Tennis Mastery" geared towards? Would a 3.5 benefit from it? Or does it focus on all the fundamentals?

lkdog
10-16-2007, 12:05 PM
What level player is "Tennis Mastery" geared towards? Would a 3.5 benefit from it? Or does it focus on all the fundamentals?

It is particularly geared toward getting people from the average 3.5 level up to higher levels.
Also valuable for players at higher levels.
He has coached world class players and is very generous with his time here.

The TennisOne site is also a large part of his doing and is helpful for all levels also. Highly recommend it.

origmarm
10-17-2007, 12:21 AM
Thanks, I'm really only looking to get 1, maybe 2 books though, could you tell me the one that best meets my criterea? Also, origmarm when you read Tennis Mastery, tell me what you think of it.

Will do. At the moment the post office is on strike over here so its proving a little difficult to get my hands on it. I love trade unions...

origmarm
11-23-2007, 08:39 AM
Ok finally got round to doing this, see here:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=168098

LuckyR
11-23-2007, 10:14 AM
Okay, I want to get some instructional books on tennis. I am thinking about 'Winning Ugly', since it is so popular. I want to know what is in 'Winning Ugly' though. Does it tell you how to construct point, the mental aspects or what? I want a book that focuses on the mental part of the game, shows little tips that you can use in a match, and shows how to contruct winning points. Please recommend me books, and explain what is in the context of the book, thanks. :grin:

Winning Ugly is extremely thin on the construction of points, IMO. I would look to Pressure Tennis and to a lesser extent The Lure of the Big Game for that.

It is great for the Mental Game part, though.

Bottle Rocket
11-23-2007, 11:22 AM

There are three books worth owning. If you plan on playing tennis for a long time to come or just if you're even remotely serious about the game, I think these books are must haves.

Winning Ugly by Brad Gilbert

Tennis Mastery by Dave Smith

Think To Win by Allen Fox

Winning Ugly is basically everything involved with being a tennis player, preparing for a match, forming a game plan, finding a way to win, and giving you the reasons and the ideas behind all of the decisions that must be made during a tennis match. It covers everything that isn't covered in other books. None of the threads in this forum about the main ideas of the book do it justice, in my opinion. It includes strategies for starting a match properly, game plans, changing game plans (finding a way to win), analyzing a match (who's doing what to whom), and ways to cover up weaknesses, attack the weaknesses of others, and ways for dealing with adverse situations. Its very simply written, easy to understand, and entertaining to read. I can't count the number of times I have gone back and re-read this book.

Tennis Mastery is a book on the fundamentals of the game. It can definitely benefit a 3.5 level player, because if you're only a 3.5, chances are your missing the fundamentals of some aspect of your game. Its a great reference and a good book to have around. It covers most grips, strokes, and a little bit of strategy for singles as well as doubles. It has a lot of pictures of pro's doing the things being talked about in the book, which can be a big help in reinforcing the ideas.

Think To Win is also a good book to have around, one of the few that covers tactics of the game in such a detailed manner. There is a chapter on most strokes (forehand, backhand, serve, volley, and special-purpose strokes), and a chapter following each one of these with tactics and strategies for using them. Allen Fox goes into great detail about the ideas behind winning crosscourt rallies, why you should volley down the line, and other things such as positions for the return of serve and what sort of strokes to use as approach shots. There is also a good chapter on doubles. This is also a book you will reference countless times as you evolve as a tennis player.

It sounds like Winning Ugly and Think To Win would give you exactly what you're looking for.

tennisthehilife
11-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Perhaps Maximum Tennis? I thought it was pretty good. Anyone know much about that one? I've read Tennis Mastery, that, and currently, Winning Ugly.

Jim Hendricks
11-24-2007, 05:49 AM
I found "Breakthrough Tennis" by Rolf Clark to be quite helpful.

tennisthehilife
11-29-2007, 09:21 AM
The Prince of Tennis Manga (half joking, I guess only POT players will more relate to this)

Its a story full of fictitious, extreme, fantasiful tennis.

-------------------------------------------------
This following Section is more for people who have read the entire POT manga, you can read it but you won't understand half the stuff Im saying

You have permission to skip straight down to the bottom.

(half jokingly also) People say theres nothing to learn from it but theres:
-Ah-Un doubles strategy
-Australian Formation works
-Pile formation? I guess not
-Left hand is cool + can help 2hand backhand
-Twist serve is usable
-Jack Knife I learned from Momo, backhand is my favorite side
-Buggy Whip Shot
-Lobbing the ball into the sun so you can't see (Momo's insight and Niou's Metro Drive)
-Two hands for more power!
-Viking Horn can get a few points off your opponent
-Lob over opponents (first episode)
-Bullet serve (regular flat serve)
-Super Rising
-Jumping off someones back (thunderbolt double attack from Anime, the "perfect school")
-Acrobatic Play hehe
-behind the back shots
-Racket Tricks
-Swinging a wet towel <-- hey it works kind of
-Hit someone directly = free points
-Kill someone = your win

Honestly, Prince of Tennis has been my bible for Tennis for 3 years. I obsess over it.
-half my songs on my cell are POT songs, listen to them on the way to tennis
-I yell out all the POT moves whenever I have the chance, I know just about all of them
-I watch/read some POT b4 I go to tennis (youtube amvs, the newest chapter <-- thats when I read them), a new ova (they don't come out very often, and I hated the lack of blood in the recent ova)
-Keep a button on my bag/something POT w/ me to tennis.
-In my Prince of Tennis Pictures folder, there is more than 3,475 Pics in there (includes manga pages I liked, little icons, and all the pics I've ever found and liked from the internet.)

The Prince of Tennis doesn't really teach many useful moves/strategies
-the matches are all about beating super powers vs super powers (except for Shiraishi, who used regular moves, welll except for that one kevin smithish illusion attack) and their balls always go in.
-------------------------------------------------

Real Reason Why This Book is Good
(I guess this book is geared towards younger players, but is still a fun read for anyone who like anime/mangas)

It taught me to love tennis more, made me more passionate and dedicated. + fun w/ friends.

I recommend Prince of Tennis to all tennis players.

ipodtennispro
11-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Since everyone is pushing a tennis book for the holiday season, here is a new book with the most up to date modern approach to teaching the modern
game:

"Tennis Training" by Mark Kovacs, Ph.D, W. Britt Chandler, MS & T. Jeff Chandler, Ed.D.

For the serious player to enhance on-court performance.