PDA

View Full Version : How 'crazy' should your serves be?

Eph
10-15-2007, 08:34 PM
I've noticed something while serving (the same thing when pitching), my serves go all over the place in the air. They always land where I want them to, or within a foot and I have a good first serve percentage, but it really is incredible to see how much they move. Is this normal? Is this proper? Am I doing something wrong?

brownyazn
10-16-2007, 12:04 PM
what do you mean by all over the place in the air
like on your toss?
or after contact

Eph
10-16-2007, 12:09 PM
After contact. The ball will zig zag either left or right, up and down, or a combination of both.

BeHappy
10-16-2007, 12:25 PM
it moves left to right or up to down but not right to left?

You're left handed, that serve is your birth right, you have a 90mph pitch so you obviously have incredible racquet head speed.

What did I tell you eh?Stick with the left hand, it's that crazy spin that drives righties mad.

Trinity TC
10-16-2007, 06:01 PM
It's good...like having a lively fastball.

Eph
10-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Can't it just mean that I'm not serving fast enough?

Eph
10-16-2007, 06:18 PM
it moves left to right or up to down but not right to left?

You're left handed, that serve is your birth right, you have a 90mph pitch so you obviously have incredible racquet head speed.

What did I tell you eh?Stick with the left hand, it's that crazy spin that drives righties mad.

It will sometimes go in right then start zig zagging when the ball is making its descent over the net. But usually it goes left then right in a zig zag. Sometimes no pattern. I feel like I'm in a micro-cosmo boom. ;-)

I was actually serving yesterday with my right hand. ;-)

I wonder what would happen with my left hand. Or maybe I am truly ambidextrous.

I am having trouble controlling a forehand with my left hand. Yes I know it has only been a few days and I have probably only played tennis 60 hours total, but I am quite good with my right hand - honestly, I can place a forehand in the corners about 80% of the time, it really is amazing. I know it sounds unbelievable, but it's true. So I think, "If I switch to my left hand, what guarantees do I have? What advantage would I have? I am kicking *** with my forehand as a righty, my backhand is lethal (I have maybe lost 5% of points when I hit a backhand, I am not exaggerating - even against my coach) and I am progressing rapidly.

I think it has to do with playing soccer, baseball, and alpine skiing my whole life. I was [ ] close to making it to the US Ski Team until an accident at 16. Now I am back and am getting into tennis instead of baseball for a spring sport.

So convince me, why learn with my left hand?

I could maybe do some videos if you'd like, if it would be helpful.

BeHappy
10-16-2007, 06:32 PM
well, why don't you serve lefty, play right handed?

Eph
10-16-2007, 06:52 PM
What would be the point? I don't have the form on a lefty serve yet, and there's only so much you can learn from videos.

Eph
10-16-2007, 06:53 PM
I ask because it seems I have that movement of a lefty, it seems, and with pretty good speed. (probably in the high 70s to low 80s). Need to gain speed.

BeHappy
10-16-2007, 07:14 PM
What would be the point? I don't have the form on a lefty serve yet, and there's only so much you can learn from videos.

didn't you say that you had served lefty and were serving 'much much faster'?

The point is that you use the same muscles for throwing as you do for serving, a lifetime of pitching has obviously give you a very fast and very flexible arm.If you spend the next ten years serving with your right hand you won't serve anywhere near as powerfully as you could left handed.

You said you pitch 90mph, that's 90% of the speed of the fastest pitch ever: 103mph.

90% of the fastest serve ever;155mph,= is about 140mph.

The movement of the arm is identical.

You'd be lucky to serve 100mph with your right.

Being left handed is worth an extra 10mph because it spins in the opposite direction to what people are used to, and it spins into their backhands which is usually their weaker shot.

Don't be an ******, serve with your left hand, if you can pitch you've already got half the form down : the movement of the arm.

here is a website that will tell you anything a coach could about serving, and more than 95% of them know, this is cutting edge stuff:

http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/index.php?col=260823

hyogen
10-16-2007, 11:27 PM
didn't you say that you had served lefty and were serving 'much much faster'?

The point is that you use the same muscles for throwing as you do for serving, a lifetime of pitching has obviously give you a very fast and very flexible arm.If you spend the next ten years serving with your right hand you won't serve anywhere near as powerfully as you could left handed.

You said you pitch 90mph, that's 90% of the speed of the fastest pitch ever: 103mph.

90% of the fastest serve ever;155mph,= is about 140mph.

The movement of the arm is identical.

You'd be lucky to serve 100mph with your right.

Being left handed is worth an extra 10mph because it spins in the opposite direction to what people are used to, and it spins into their backhands which is usually their weaker shot.

Don't be an ******, serve with your left hand, if you can pitch you've already got half the form down : the movement of the arm.

here is a website that will tell you anything a coach could about serving, and more than 95% of them know, this is cutting edge stuff:

http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/index.php?col=260823

Agreed. I would definitely develop the left-handed serve like he's saying.
You could start to beat players that are significantly better than you just because of your lefty serve advantage.

hyogen
10-16-2007, 11:30 PM
yes, lets see some videos. I would like to see your 60 hr experience tennis that is rapidly advancing!

hyogen
10-17-2007, 11:20 AM
what the heck...i've really never seen any zig zagging serves before..... I dont' get how that could be possible. unless all crazy windy.

you never see it in pro matches do you? so what's going on here?

Eph
10-17-2007, 11:26 AM
There was no noticeable wind.

And that is what I'd like to know.

hyogen
10-17-2007, 11:44 AM
the only thing I can think of is uneven felt on the ball. Maybe really flat or really brand new balls

brownyazn
10-18-2007, 09:16 AM
are you contacting the ball well?

Eph
10-18-2007, 03:21 PM
It could be because they are flat. Two weeks old, about.

I will try to develop a serve with my left hand. I was serving very well with my left hand, though the other day, so was my right. I really had the motion down - on both sides.

It's kinda cool.

I'll post some videos when I can - I don't know when though, I have a busy weekend and my digital camera won't film well in the dark. ;-)