PDA

View Full Version : 16 vs 18 mains--could it be that only this board "feels" it effects spin...

Alafter
10-16-2007, 08:09 AM
...while for the rest of the tennis playing world it doesnt make a difference?

LPShanet
10-16-2007, 09:29 AM

Seems unlikely, since I'm sure Wilson and the other major racquet companies aren't making both 16 and 18 main versions of their advanced player racquets just for members of this board. And seeing that other companies have often done the same, it obviously DOES make a difference.

"Open" and "Closed" stringing patterns have long been known to have different performance qualities. Among other things, a more open pattern will have more trampoline and more ball bite, while a closed pattern is somewhat deader, offering more control but slightly less spin potential.

You just have to be a sensitive enough advanced player for it to matter.

Valjean
10-16-2007, 03:39 PM
An' this is the strangest, er, well, "question" I have ever heard of--what's the point of it!?!!

bsandy
10-16-2007, 04:24 PM
I can think of instances, when this would be true, and not. It's never just one varaible.

That being said . . . I usually only recommend 18x racquets for flat ball hitters.

. . . Bud

tbini87
10-16-2007, 06:41 PM
i think it does make a difference, but not the huge difference some people talk about. i would say you might get slightly more power and spin from a 16* than from 18. but that could change from one racquet to another, and the difference is not going to really change anyone's game or anything. i would say 16 gives more spin and 18 gives more durability. the other differences for me seem very slight.

snoflewis
10-16-2007, 07:50 PM
it's all preference. everything in tennis is preference. 18x20 patterned rackets aren't ONLY for flat hitters and 16 main patterns aren't ONLY for people who hit w/ a lot of spin. i use 16 main patterns and i hit flat...i could never get used to 18x20's firmer stringbed...that's just my preference. i've seen plenty of people using 18x20 w/ huge topspin games...

Noveson
10-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Seems unlikely, since I'm sure Wilson and the other major racquet companies aren't making both 16 and 18 main versions of their advanced player racquets just for members of this board. And seeing that other companies have often done the same, it obviously DOES make a difference.

"Open" and "Closed" stringing patterns have long been known to have different performance qualities. Among other things, a more open pattern will have more trampoline and more ball bite, while a closed pattern is somewhat deader, offering more control but slightly less spin potential.

I don't think you have to be sensitive at all. Feel isn't that huge of a deal with me, I don't notice tensions, but the change from 16 to 18 mains is a huge change for me.

Alafter
10-16-2007, 08:37 PM

Feel is different. But spinwise, i havent seen non members of this board mention it specifically.

LPShanet
10-17-2007, 08:51 AM
Feel is different. But spinwise, i havent seen non members of this board mention it specifically.

I guess it's just a matter of which circles you run in, as everyone on my high school and college teams was familiar with the concept, and said the same thing, as well as all the other pros at the clubs I taught at during school.