PDA

View Full Version : Blue Gear vs Poly Plasma vs WC Silverstring, Durability For 5.5+ Players

Hooooon
10-16-2007, 11:14 AM
If anyone who breaks polys in less than 12 hours has tried 2+ of the aforementioned (Big Ace is another I'm considering, basically looking for a cheaper alternative to BB ALU with more feel) I'd really appreciated a durability comparison.
Also, is prince tour poly not a competitive string? Some rate it extremely high but it's rarely mentioned with seemingly more innovative strings.

Gracias

PROTENNIS63
10-16-2007, 02:00 PM
I wouldn't put Blue Gear up there as it is hex shaped and the others are just round. If anything, you should compare Big Ace and Poly Plasma. To answer your questions, Blue Gear and Poly Plasma are both very durable but very different. Try both and see what you like. Haven't tried the Silverstring because heard it is bad.

haerdalis
10-16-2007, 02:40 PM
You get a lot of value for money out of topspin Cyber flash IMO.
And for easier stringing and even better value hybrid it with forten 17g sweet if you like a softer string bed or gosen micro for a sligthly crisper feel.

Hooooon
10-16-2007, 05:24 PM
I wouldn't put Blue Gear up there as it is hex shaped and the others are just round. If anything, you should compare Big Ace and Poly Plasma. To answer your questions, Blue Gear and Poly Plasma are both very durable but very different. Try both and see what you like. Haven't tried the Silverstring because heard it is bad.

You're right, I will atleast try a couple...leaning towards Big Ace/D-stroyer/Unique Big Hitter as I'd rather not deal with breaking a string every time I shank a ball (I hear Poly Plasma is very brittle). What bad things did you hear about silverstring? Also, hexagonal strings seem very suited for heavy topspin, are they funky to volley with?

Thanks again

PROTENNIS63
10-16-2007, 05:52 PM
You're right, I will atleast try a couple...leaning towards Big Ace/D-stroyer/Unique Big Hitter as I'd rather not deal with breaking a string every time I shank a ball (I hear Poly Plasma is very brittle). What bad things did you hear about silverstring? Also, hexagonal strings seem very suited for heavy topspin, are they funky to volley with?

Thanks again

Poly Plasma is a very nice string, just it does pop at grommets sometimes, kind of like Cyber Flash. Several people here said that silverstring is not as good as it appears, but then again it's all opinion. But I don't think there are any strings that can beat Big Ace with price/performance. Hex strings are not really funky to volley with. All I can say is you should try it yourself. Then decide what you like.

aeroman
10-16-2007, 06:08 PM
I'm thinking about next time I order strings to get either blue gear or big ace. I have cyberflash and sppp right now. I definitely like sppp better. I have them in a hybrid with gosen og micro.
Aeroman

Stan
10-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Silverstring, IMO, is one of the top performing copolymers on the market today. The limited reviews tend to be extremely positive. The string holds playing properties well and is consistent and comfortable. Very nice playing string, but the thickest gauge is 1.25 and durability can be an issue for huge hitters.

The Blue Gear is more of a novelty string. Plays stiff and loses properties faster than I would have liked. Not the most comfortable string available, but freshly strung it does help generate added spin. This string may also get a nod in the durability department.

The Poly Plasma is a very solid and consistent choice. While lower powered than the Silverstring, it does come in a 1.28mm and 1.33 mm option which are both more durable. The Poly Plasma was among the very first of the newer copolys to incorporate comfort with the ability to maintain properties. Still a damn fine string. I just prefer the feel of the Silverstring which may be due to the fluorcarbon elastomers which are also a key ingredient of the new Luxilon Fluoro.

rooski
10-18-2007, 03:40 PM
All polys have a tendency to break at the grommets if you horribly mis hit a hard struck ball. This is not a SPPP specific issue.

My choice is SPPP 1.28 as I love it's feel and durability. Great tension maintainence.

Hooooon
10-18-2007, 04:33 PM
All polys have a tendency to break at the grommets if you horribly mis hit a hard struck ball. This is not a SPPP specific issue.

My choice is SPPP 1.28 as I love it's feel and durability. Great tension maintainence.

Thanks for the input, especially since we use the same racquet and both prefer a thicker guage. Have you tried Big Ace, Silverstring, BB ALU...is sppp's durability and feel specifically better than the others'? ALU definitely lacks a little feel for me and isn't particularly durable. Cheers!