PDA

View Full Version : string tension help

cornonthekob
10-16-2007, 03:02 PM
I am going to restring my pure drive cortex tomarrow, with Topspin Cyber Flash String 17 (1.25). But I don't know what tension to string it at. I heard full poly jobs are rough so maybe on the lower 50's. I've heard people suggesting anywhere from 46-58. What tension should i string the Cyber Flash at?
P.S I previously used babolat super fine play 16 at 58lbs.

lilxjohnyy
10-16-2007, 03:21 PM
i hybrid it at 63 so i personally would do already 58 full job

GeorgeLucas
10-16-2007, 03:48 PM
Hey man!! See, the thing is - all polys are naturally stiff. Topspin cyberflashes are definitely on the softer side of the "poly stiffness" spectrum. Also, Babolat specifically asks to string a little lower to compliment the technological wonder of "woofer grommets". Depending on how long it takes you to break strings, though, I'd say to string them around mid-range. Polys take so long to break - start a little higher and the strings will soften up naturally.

cornonthekob
10-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Hey man!! See, the thing is - all polys are naturally stiff. Topspin cyberflashes are definitely on the softer side of the "poly stiffness" spectrum. Also, Babolat specifically asks to string a little lower to compliment the technological wonder of "woofer grommets". Depending on how long it takes you to break strings, though, I'd say to string them around mid-range. Polys take so long to break - start a little higher and the strings will soften up naturally.

good thinking george, by the way i like ur movies ;).

tbini87
10-16-2007, 06:37 PM
cyber flash 17 won't be really stiff like some other polys, but you could still loosen it up a few lbs if you want. you will get more spin than with syn gut, so you should be able to keep the ball in the court. i would loosen it to maybe 55 lbs, but it is up to you. it will take you a try or two but eventually you will get your fav tension down!

abenguyen
10-16-2007, 06:42 PM
I am going to restring my pure drive cortex tomarrow, with Topspin Cyber Flash String 17 (1.25). But I don't know what tension to string it at. I heard full poly jobs are rough so maybe on the lower 50's. I've heard people suggesting anywhere from 46-58. What tension should i string the Cyber Flash at?
P.S I previously used babolat super fine play 16 at 58lbs.

polys are typically recommended to drop 10% in tension. so in your case around 53 lbs is good. but play with it at what you think you would like and go from there. and remember, when you first hit with it, it may feel weird but it takes time to break in and get used to

budkid
10-16-2007, 06:42 PM
start at 53-55lbs.

vndesu
10-16-2007, 07:20 PM
even tho ppl do say that i wouldnt.
id prolly go for about 60/59 bc its in a mid range
but for me i always go 3 below max.

Steve Huff
10-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Cyberflash is soft for a poly, but Super Fine Play is pretty soft for a synthetic too. Most manufacturers recommend dropping the tension of poly's by 10%, so that's where I would start. I'd drop the tension 5-6 pounds. Even at low tensions, poly's usually don't get "springy". You might notice a little more power at the net, but I doubt groundstrokes will gain much speed.

Midlife crisis
10-16-2007, 09:37 PM
The string pattern of a Pure Drive is pretty dense in the middle of the stringbed. For that reason, the axial stiffness of poly becomes a contributing factor to the overall stiffness of the stringbed.

For that reason, the 10% rule might not be enough to give you an equivalently stiff stringbed. My son feels comfortable with a synthetic gut in his PDR+ in the upper 50's, but likes poly in it in the upper 40's. He's currently using Polyon SP17 at 48 pounds, and feels that SPPP 1.23 at 45 pounds give him the same ball reaction but can't stand the orange color. These tensions are on a crank stringer, so a constant pull setting would be even lower.

I guess what I'm saying is that our experience is you can go pretty low with a poly on this racquet and still have good control.

cornonthekob
10-17-2007, 11:19 AM
ok thanks for the advice. I decided to string it at 58. It can always go down and im not a frequent string breaker so decided to string it relatively high.
Live and learn i guess.

bmichaelia
10-17-2007, 12:30 PM
I wouldn't drop the tension that much. Before poly, I used to string in the 60-62# range. I like my CF 1.25 at around the 58# range. You shouldn't drop it 10% like some stiff polys, just 2-4# IMO.

bmichaelia
10-17-2007, 12:32 PM
P.S. I was responding to the replies that said to drop it quite a bit. I see now you used 58# anyway. That's a good place to start.