PDA

View Full Version : Questions on X-1 Biphase

Hewitt Aussie
10-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Well i just want the string to be described. How long it plays, what kind of players is it good for? I use pro supex blue gear right now and it just doesnt feel right. I want to see how i like multifilaments, is x-1 biphase the way to go in multifilaments?

Hewitt Aussie
10-16-2007, 04:50 PM
bump, i am thinking of buying some string tonight. Also what is a good tension for x one biphase?

tenniskid3119
10-16-2007, 04:53 PM
im wondering too, I have 2 sets of it and still havent tried it.

PurePrestige
10-16-2007, 08:20 PM
X-1 Biphase is by far my favorite multi, and imho the best multi on the market.
It has much better spin than other multis, feels a little stiffer but has more bite, durability is better than most and, obviously great power and comfort as a high end multi.
I'd say its definitely the way to go as far as multi's are concerned, I just wish it was less expensive.
It's definitely the most spin friendly multi I have ever played with, and it still maintains that softness and power that I love from multi strings.

Noveson
10-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Favorite multi of mine. Love stringing it with pro red code, although red code is just a decent poly, nothing special.

ledor
10-16-2007, 09:14 PM
needs a break in at the beginning of it's life. Then it feels great, then it feels super mushy, i'd say string a bit tighter. Apparently, other people recommended me Wilson NXT line as a competitor to X-One Biphase.

hjminard
10-16-2007, 09:16 PM
My favorite multi, too ... a nice balance between feel (firmer than most multis), comfort and power.

Tension depends somewhat on the frame and your preferences. For me, I like it at lower tensions (55-ish?) for sticks with lower power, good inherent control and/or 18 mains ... higher tensions (60-ish) for 16 mains and/or higher powered racquets. Your mileage may vary ...

ericsson
10-16-2007, 11:32 PM
played it last week in a hybrid, could immediatly feel the power of that string, like a rocket, reminds me a lot of natural gut, infact its the best synthetic string with the qualities of natural gut i've ever tested. very soft, even when u just hold it, so soft. it takes a little to get used to it and felt like i had to hit the balls pretty good to enjoy the qualities of that string.

downdaline
10-16-2007, 11:51 PM
I played it a month ago with a full setup at abt 62lbs. Very powerful string and great feel. i was holding back on my groundstrokes a little to keep the ball flying long. The tension drops a little over time, but i inserted some stringsavers when the tension dropped to firm up the stringbed a little and give more control.

If i had to choose a play style for it, i'd say serve&volley. The string is really powerful so its great for put away volleys.

keithchircop
10-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Tried the Red Code and nothing about it makes it worth the price, except the color maybe.

My favourite multis are Klip Excellerator 17g and Technifibre NRG2 18g. Definitely the most powerful multis out there.

jman
10-17-2007, 01:26 AM
Anyone ever tried to hybrid with ALU Power??
What were the results??

downdaline
10-17-2007, 02:46 AM
VERY weird, i just played with a friend of mine who had his k90 strung with X1 16g and alu Power. Alu power in the mains at 56lbs and X1 in the crosses at 60lbs. I tried hitting with his racquet a little.

It's still kinda powerful. The X1 seems to dominate the alu power. It plays stiffer and seems easier to get spin out of it. But i already noticed that the X1 was being flattened against the Alu Power with a little notching and peeling and my buddy only strung it last week and played abt 4 hrs with it.

I think X1 plays better as a full job in my opinion. Hybrid-ing it takes away what makes it so good - power, feel and softness. But it's just my 2cents...

tenniskid3119
10-17-2007, 05:18 AM
has anybody tried a hybrid with cyberflash?? what was your setup? cause I have both at home.

JavierLW
10-17-2007, 06:05 AM
needs a break in at the beginning of it's life. Then it feels great, then it feels super mushy, i'd say string a bit tighter. Apparently, other people recommended me Wilson NXT line as a competitor to X-One Biphase.

Ive used NXT for years (not the tour version, just plain old NXT or NXT MAX), and after using X-One, I like X-One better.

NXT has a plastic like feel to it, and the X-ONE didnt start fraying for me as quickly and seems to hold it's tension a little better, and was a little crisper.

I string them both at 57-58# depending no if Im playing outdoors or not.

JavierLW
10-17-2007, 06:07 AM
VERY weird, i just played with a friend of mine who had his k90 strung with X1 16g and alu Power. Alu power in the mains at 56lbs and X1 in the crosses at 60lbs. I tried hitting with his racquet a little.

It's still kinda powerful. The X1 seems to dominate the alu power. It plays stiffer and seems easier to get spin out of it. But i already noticed that the X1 was being flattened against the Alu Power with a little notching and peeling and my buddy only strung it last week and played abt 4 hrs with it.

I think X1 plays better as a full job in my opinion. Hybrid-ing it takes away what makes it so good - power, feel and softness. But it's just my 2cents...

Well, and he had it in the crosses.... He's probally not looking for the feel of X1 then. (if he is, he should of put it in the mains)

cknobman
10-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Well i just want the string to be described. How long it plays, what kind of players is it good for? I use pro supex blue gear right now and it just doesnt feel right. I want to see how i like multifilaments, is x-1 biphase the way to go in multifilaments?

It is very similar to NXT. Its a multi for players who like feel and dont break strings. But if I had to choose I prefer NXT over the biphase or perhaps even the NRG strings.

TennezSport
10-17-2007, 06:48 AM
I usually use gut in the M's and BB Alu Rough in the X's. This past summer I tried a full set of X-1, and a hybrid with Alu R and I have to agree that X-1 is the closest thing to natural gut I have ever played. Good power, control, feel and tension stability for a multi.

Still short of Nat Gut but, very close. According to the USRSA the stiffness index for X-1 is 192 vs. 84-129 for Nat Gut. Tension loss measured in at 10.08 for X-1 16g vs. 5.57lbs (Pacific Prime 16) - 11.91lbs (Grand Slam Black Knight 16).

All in all a pretty good multi.

TennezSport :cool:

Mingo
10-17-2007, 09:04 AM
Saw favourable reviews and bought x-1 when I got my stringing machine last month. Just put it into one of my Pure Drive+ a couple of days ago but haven't tried it yet. I have to break some xcel in another racquet first.

PED
10-17-2007, 10:58 AM
The other day I tried a hybrid of X1 mains with Supex Big Ace Crosses. Really nice setup. The X1 has a good feel, spin was goodand the big ace crosses give it some firmness on top of what it already has. The only drawback is the cost which could really add up depending on how long it lasts..

NoBadMojo
10-17-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm not a fan of the BiPhase string. played NRG2 for years. the probs w. NRG2 were durability and tension loss..the string was terrifically playable for a while though. the BiPhase string is much more durable than the NRG2 and holds tension better, but I think this string was drained of its playability in the process. think it's a boardy, dull ,and vague feeling string.

Hewitt Aussie
10-17-2007, 06:19 PM
now the question is, should i get clear, or red. I have an AG300, but i have been using red strings and then blue strings for a while now. I kinda wanna go back to clear strings.

Fedace
10-17-2007, 06:34 PM
I usually use gut in the M's and BB Alu Rough in the X's. This past summer I tried a full set of X-1, and a hybrid with Alu R and I have to agree that X-1 is the closest thing to natural gut I have ever played. Good power, control, feel and tension stability for a multi.

Still short of Nat Gut but, very close. According to the USRSA the stiffness index for X-1 is 192 vs. 84-129 for Nat Gut. Tension loss measured in at 10.08 for X-1 16g vs. 5.57lbs (Pacific Prime 16) - 11.91lbs (Grand Slam Black Knight 16).

All in all a pretty good multi.

TennezSport :cool:

It is pretty close to gut, little less power than gut though. but i was very impressed with its ability to hold tension well, and it does not get affected by weather. this string holds tension better than Pro Hurr tour if you can believe that.:grin:

JavierLW
10-17-2007, 08:27 PM
now the question is, should i get clear, or red. I have an AG300, but i have been using red strings and then blue strings for a while now. I kinda wanna go back to clear strings.

I got the red (it's my first set of biphase). It looks pretty good on my racquet and it's diffrent (I was using all clear or white otherwise).

I do wonder if they play any diffrent though. On my racquet I notice that the mains are shearing off the outer coating on the crosses and I wonder if that is related to the coloring, or if that's something that happens with either set?

I played with the set for about 2 months (I play 3 times a week) before that started happening and it still seems to work fine.

Alafter
10-17-2007, 08:35 PM
i am also using x1 17g at the moment. I wanted to try a full set, but i have remembered from previous experience that somehow too soft a string in the cross is not for me. So I put poly in cross (hoping that the bed will get a certain crispness from it). I think i actually like it better than a full multi-fil stringbed--there's a certain element of stiffness that's still present.

downdaline
10-17-2007, 09:04 PM

I dont think that color will affect playability.

However there've been a few threads out there that mention that addition of dyes or colouring makes the string a tad stiffer. It's insignificant to me, but i think some ppl really can feel the difference.

jb193
10-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Does anyone have any idea of the weight of the Biphase X-one? I remember trying some Laserfibre Supreme and it was as heavy as a poly and distorted the balance of my racquet a bit. I just didn't know if X-one was like the Laserfibre supreme. I would appreciate any input.......

mista-k
10-19-2007, 05:09 AM
has anybody tried a hybrid with cyberflash?? what was your setup? cause I have both at home.

x1 will break before the cyberflash does...if you hit with a lot of spin on your shots---it plays good but it frays easily / always happens to me (xtreme western southpaw) > switched to head rip control 17 ga (for crosses -55lbs LM radical OS)

Fedace
10-19-2007, 05:11 AM
WHICH is better ?? X-1 biphase or Wilson K-gut Pro ??

downdaline
10-19-2007, 06:05 AM
WHICH is better ?? X-1 biphase or Wilson K-gut Pro ??

I played with both before and X-1 Biphase is better by a mile.

Fedace
10-19-2007, 06:14 AM
I played with both before and X-1 Biphase is better by a mile.

how, in feel, power or control ?

Matt21
10-20-2007, 02:52 PM
I used to switch pretty regularly between NRG2, Gamma TNT2, Wilson NXT and Gamma LiveWire XP. I finally settled on X-1 Biphase. Here's why:

NRG2 (probably best feeling string of the four but it would start fraying and break way too soon for my hitting style).
Gamma TNT2 (plays OK if you don't string too high. Pretty durable but a little too boardy. Not really a good choice unless you are playing in hot/humid weather).
Wilson NXT (IMO, overrated. It's an okay string but I don't get the same amount of spin out of it as with the others and again, it would break lose it's feel too soon for my taste).
X-1 Biphase (lacks feel and feels a little slick for the first couple or three sets with it; but when you take it out a day later... whoah boyeee!!!! I've tried the feel of Babolat VS gut and I can tell you, after X1 breaks in, I prefer it to the VS: it's more durable and maintains its feel throughout the life of my playing with it. In other words, I'll break the strings before it loses it's feel).

In the end, I think that X1 is the best combination of feel and spin for a guy who can trade from the baseline or come into the court and hit a touch shot whenever desired. I think if you're an all-court player who relies heavily on touch, there is no multi better than X1. I haven't tried it in a poly hybrid setup but I have experimented with Gosen OG Sheep Micro in the mains and X1 in the crosses. Feeling and pocketing is unbelievable (though I do lose a tad of spin with this setup vs. having X1 throughout).

Leelord337
10-20-2007, 03:04 PM
String with a lot of feel and power is the head fxp 17. I love this string.

Kcraig
10-20-2007, 05:23 PM
i am also using x1 17g at the moment. I wanted to try a full set, but i have remembered from previous experience that somehow too soft a string in the cross is not for me. So I put poly in cross (hoping that the bed will get a certain crispness from it). I think i actually like it better than a full multi-fil stringbed--there's a certain element of stiffness that's still present.

What kind of play/durability are you getting out of the X1 mains setup? What's the gauge of the X1 mains and poly cross? Thanks

ALSO MATT21--same question on durability with the X1 hybrid with a reg syn gut like Gosen Micro, or other similar syn gut? Also-are you using the 17g for both mains/crosses? What about putting the X1 in the mains with the sg in the crosses--may get your spin back you like in the full X1 setup and will keep the cost down a bit. Thanks

downdaline
10-20-2007, 06:15 PM
how, in feel, power or control ?

Better in every aspect i feel. It has better feel, more power and equal or more control. Durability is also better.

chiapants226
10-21-2007, 04:25 AM
i have a full x-one biphase string job in my flexpoint radical at 54 pounds. it feels pretty soft and its a really nice string. however, i feel that the string needs to be worn in a little bit. when i first played with it when it was a fresh string job, it felt a fair bit stiffer to me.

coolie
10-22-2007, 09:24 PM
i had tried the X-1 Biphase 17 just a few weeks back on my Babolat Pure Drive Roddick, strung at 60lbs.

the string appeared to be very stiff in the beginning but once it is broken into. it feels great. but it also means that the string starts to break down too. the string lasted only 10hrs.

the feel from the string was great while hitting from the baseline. it gave plenty of power while rallying from the baseline. but i lost the accurate ball placement that identify my game. still the rally was fun.

the string has too much pop even when strung at 60lbs, when trying to volley at the net. my volleys were either too deep or pop skywards. during the 10hrs, i could never execute a drop shot that my opponent cannot reach.

the positive side was that my elbow never feel a single pain even from a 4hrs rally session.

in my opinion, X-1 is a good string for feel. but 17G just do not last at all. am now trying the 15G strung at 62lbs on main and 60lbs on cross. so far after 3hrs of rally. i find more control and less pop. but also less spin from the thick 15G string.

coolie
10-22-2007, 09:30 PM
by the way, the string is very expensive especially for a string that lasted only 10hrs. if only the string is cheaper.