PDA

View Full Version : I really get put in my place

DanVito
10-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Well it seems everytime I hit with my friends who are ranked top 3 on my school's tennis team, I feel really down on myself. It isn't like im scared of their shots or cant return them its just to keep a simple rally with them I have to hit my best shots. My winner shots can only nulify their shots to a degree that it will go deep with topspin. Of course this is a good thing but the problem is that is supposed to be my winner, I can't keep it up and I always end up erroring. Slicing is useless also because then they'll just hit a winner. My friends tell me its a lot of mental problems because I have a good of a forehand as anyone on varsity on an open winner shot, as much pace as anyone almost and decent amount of topspin. What can I do to improve? I am also different from a lot of players and I take advantage of topspin because my style is I jump and take the ball very high and it works for me. What do I do for extemly low balls, no matter what I do, I seem to always scoop my shots and hit them long. Should I continue to develop my current game or be taught new form. People say my form is okay but I play high risk. I also don't like getting told what to do too much at this point.

Solat
10-16-2007, 09:34 PM
on the positive you are obviously pretty honest about where you stand, but look at what you wrote.

#1 tennis is a game of errors not winners
"Of course this is a good thing but the problem is that is supposed to be my winner, I can't keep it up and I always end up erroring"
you need to learn how to force errors, high percentage tennis and depth control, you cant hit your way to victory very often.
#2 ball control is paramount
"Slicing is useless also because then they'll just hit a winner"
not many people can hit a winner from a ball within a foot of the baseline, this is where you slice needs to be, not a floaty ball in mid court
#3 footwork & determination
"What do I do for extemly low balls, no matter what I do, I seem to always scoop my shots and hit them long."
You need to practice what you know is weak, you should have enough racquet control to hit a low ball but are your feet in position? what are you trying to achieve with the shot? if its a blatant weaknes your goal should be just hit the ball in the court, then hit it to the weakness, then hit it deep / wide/ short / open ct/ etc.

and lastly, there are people that will always be better then you, be inspired by them and do your best but as you are improving no doubt so are they, measure your success by your goals not by the lives of others

Oleg
10-16-2007, 10:52 PM
Well, tennis is a game of skill. If you become the student of the game and constantly try to improve your skill the results will surely follow.

1. The only form of strokes to use is the correct one. Study top player's form using frame by frame video. You will learn that there aren't any principal differences between top player's strokes. You should copy the top pros and noone else. Developing correct strokes is a foundation of your game.

2. There is no hitting winners from the baseline. That is why your rally balls are not winners. A winner will usually result when you have a court position superior to your opponent and are hitting into an open part of the court. The closer to the net you are the better position you have to hit a winner.

3. Consistency is your # 1 priority. Trying to match the quality of your shots to someone that has a better skill set will only lead to donating points. To be competitive you must have a positive differential (winners - errors) at the end of each set.

4. The quality of the ball coming at you is directly related to the quality of your ball. If your ball is short and has no direction, you will be attacked every time. Keep your rally balls cross court and deep in the opponent's court using ball trajectory and spin (not pace). Unless you are playing Andre Agassi you will not see many winners hit against that type of ball.

fuzz nation
10-17-2007, 07:36 AM
I've coached in the recent past and I got a chuckle out of your last comment that you don't much like being told what to do. It's just kind of funny because I've seen it before, yet you're acknowledging the shortcomings that you see in your game. The good news is that you sound like you're just about ready to take some positive input - this is a good thing! Just don't worry about being told what to do; if you want to develop, you're going to have to listen. No biggie; by the sound of it, you're ready.

One note on the power game - try to analyze what's happening when you're playing or even if you're watching someone else's match. Power is only one component of the game and it's not as important at this point as consistency, placement, and depth in your shots from everywhere on the court. Guys like Safin can blow holes through their opponents (when they're on), but the rest of us need to be able to stay alive in points and move the other guy into trouble. Those opportunities to use a little power to make pressure or close out a point are often created by first using placement and consistency.

If you can't move forward behind a short ball and earn points at the net, you should look into working on that, too. Transitioning to net can effectively put as much pressure on an opponent as a power game from the baseline.

Expectations... just make sure that you keep yours in touch with reality. Stay positive on the court and avoid the trap of expecting perfection or even excellence. Just expect to improve with lots of work, but understand that you'll miss lots of shots along the way. Stay positive! A good teacher who is out there on the courts with you will better advise you how to hit, since we can't see you through our screens, but make sure that you have open lines of communication with a coach. A "just do this" style of teaching is rarely productive.

skiracer55
10-17-2007, 09:03 AM
Well it seems everytime I hit with my friends who are ranked top 3 on my school's tennis team, I feel really down on myself. It isn't like im scared of their shots or cant return them its just to keep a simple rally with them I have to hit my best shots. My winner shots can only nulify their shots to a degree that it will go deep with topspin. Of course this is a good thing but the problem is that is supposed to be my winner, I can't keep it up and I always end up erroring. Slicing is useless also because then they'll just hit a winner. My friends tell me its a lot of mental problems because I have a good of a forehand as anyone on varsity on an open winner shot, as much pace as anyone almost and decent amount of topspin. What can I do to improve? I am also different from a lot of players and I take advantage of topspin because my style is I jump and take the ball very high and it works for me. What do I do for extemly low balls, no matter what I do, I seem to always scoop my shots and hit them long. Should I continue to develop my current game or be taught new form. People say my form is okay but I play high risk. I also don't like getting told what to do too much at this point.

...is the serve, next is the return. Jack your serve up and you'll automatically get more openings early in the point, and your low-risk game won't be as risky. Get a more forcing return, and you'll also get more openings sooner. And, above all, LEARN TO GO TO THE NET AND FINISH POINTS THERE.