PDA

View Full Version : What's the rule on this?

Ripper
10-16-2007, 06:23 PM
I'm playing a match against this guy. I'm serving, 40 - Love. So, I serve and, after an exchange of several groundstrokes, the ball hits another ball on the floor on my opponent's side. Obviously, he couldn't hit it back. I say I won the point (and the game), he says the point has to be repeated. Who's right? Btw, we repeated the point. No big deal, just want to know.

Midlife crisis
10-16-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm playing a match against this guy. I'm serving, 40 - Love. So, I serve and, after an exchange of several groundstrokes, the ball hits another ball on the floor on my opponent's side. Obviously, he couldn't hit it back. I say I won the point (and the game), he says the point has to be repeated. Who's right? Btw, we repeated the point. No big deal, just want to know.

I asked this earlier. It's your point. Your opponent should have cleared the ball prior to the point being played. Since they did not, they lost the point.

Rickson
10-16-2007, 07:09 PM

He's supposed to clear his side of the court. Your game.

Seifersquall1
10-16-2007, 07:44 PM
It's your point :D

Solat
10-16-2007, 09:03 PM
i am sure it is play on, your opponent can attempt to hit the ball

goober
10-16-2007, 09:56 PM
Yup you win the point unless the ball hit another ball that was situated out of bounds.

diredesire
10-16-2007, 11:21 PM
It's your point, I believe if the ball were to bounce straight up, and he were to get to it and hit it, the point would continue.

I saw this happen in my districts, one guy was on his way to a golden set, the opponent hit a ball on his side of the court, and he struck it for a winner!

(He missed out on the golden set by 1 point ;))

Thiseas
10-17-2007, 01:51 AM
It's your point because he didn't return the ball.
You don't automatically win the point once the ball lands on another ball.
The opponent has the right to go for anyone of the two balls that make contact.

Supernatural_Serve
10-17-2007, 02:38 AM
The opponent has the right to go for anyone of the two balls that make contact.I don't believe that's correct.

There is one designated ball in play, and any number of balls on the court that are part of the court. They can't be substituted for each other during a point.

I think you have to make a play on the designated ball at all times regardless whether it strikes one of the other balls

koopa_troopa
10-17-2007, 02:57 AM
Was the ball on the ground yours? or did it roll in from another court midpoint? It sounds like it was your ball, I don't get why the guy would complain. He should be responsible for clearing the balls between points and returning balls to the server.

Ripper
10-17-2007, 04:44 AM
Was the ball on the ground yours? or did it roll in from another court midpoint? It sounds like it was your ball, I don't get why the guy would complain. He should be responsible for clearing the balls between points and returning balls to the server.

It was our ball. Anyway, thanks to everyone for the replies. As I mentioned on the OP, we repeated the point. What I didn't mention is that I ended up losing that game... which I had already won. Oh well, I guess I should have stood up for what my instinct knew was correct.

brownyazn
10-17-2007, 07:46 AM
i believe since it was one of your balls on the court
the opponent does have the ability to go after either one of the balls
since neither player would be able to accurately say whihc one was the one in play and which one was the one of the court

psp2
10-17-2007, 08:19 AM
25. A GOOD RETURN (OLD 24)
It is a good return if:
a. The ball touches the net, net posts/singles sticks, cord or metal
cable, strap or band, provided that it passes over any of them and
hits the ground within the correct court; except as provided in Rule
2 and 24 (d); or
b. After the ball in play has hit the ground within the correct court and
has spun or been blown back over the net, the player reaches over the
net and plays the ball into the correct court, provided that the player
does not break Rule 24; or
c. The ball is returned outside the net posts, either above or below the
level of the top of the net, even though it touches the net posts, provided
that it hits the ground in the correct court; except as provided
in Rules 2 and 24 (d); or
d. The ball passes under the net cord between the singles stick and the
adjacent net post without touching either net, net cord or net post and
hits the ground in the correct court, or
e. The player’s racket passes over the net after hitting the ball on the
player’s own side of the net and the ball hits the ground in the correct
court; or
f. The player hits the ball in play, which hits another ball lying in the
correct court.
Case 1: A player returns a ball which then hits a singles stick and hits the
ground in the correct court. Is this is a good return?
Decision: Yes. However, if the ball is served and hits the singles stick, it is
a service fault.
Case 2: A ball in play hits another ball which is lying in the correct court.
What is the correct decision?
Decision: Play continues. However, if it is not clear that the actual ball in
play has been returned, a let should be called.

psp2
10-17-2007, 08:20 AM
i believe since it was one of your balls on the court
the opponent does have the ability to go after either one of the balls
since neither player would be able to accurately say whihc one was the one in play and which one was the one of the court

This is totally wrong. Pls. see above ruling.

psp2
10-17-2007, 08:25 AM
It's your point because he didn't return the ball.

True, but that's not true 100% of the time. IF the stray ball was outside the court (meaning it was "out") and your ball hit the out ball, then you lose the point. The stray ball is deemed to be a part of the court

The opponent has the right to go for anyone of the two balls that make contact.

Not true 100% of the time. Both you AND your opponent(s) must be sure of the correct ball. If anyone is uncertain, a let can be played.

brownyazn
10-18-2007, 08:14 AM
This is totally wrong. Pls. see above ruling.

shoot i'm sorry

that was what i was told
so yeah..