PDA

View Full Version : What is the lowest you've ever strung poly and how did it play?

Pisolino227
10-17-2007, 09:12 AM
That is the question........I've been stringing PHT in my Babolat Pure Control at 49lbs and I honestly want to go lower, it hits well, but it's still feels extremely tight to me. Chime in guys. Thanks!

downdaline
10-17-2007, 10:08 AM
I've never gone below 50lbs before. The lowest i've gone is 51lbs for Luxilon Ace. At that tension, it felt a little more gentle on the arm, still crisp but with more pocketing. Spin was the same. Easier to hit flatter shots in my opinion.

Actually i read sumwhere that eventually all polys lose tension to settle around the high 40s to the low 50s in tension. I guess if you string it at 49lbs, which is more or less the settling point, then u'd suffer less from drop in tension??

Just an inference though...

Hooooon
10-17-2007, 10:17 AM
volandri, top atp player strings his racquets at 26 lbs (yes i'm sure, it's 12 kilos, there's a link to a atp stringer video in one of these threads). go looser until you don't want to anymore, simple as that

Pisolino227
10-17-2007, 10:27 AM
26 lbs, are you sure........that sounds insane. I was thinking of maybe going down to 42 43, to me at 49 it's a board. keep ringing in guys, it's getting interesting now.

stician
10-17-2007, 10:29 AM
volandri, top atp player strings his racquets at 26 lbs (yes i'm sure, it's 12 kilos, there's a link to a atp stringer video in one of these threads). go looser until you don't want to anymore, simple as that

he's probably what I call an outlier. personally, 56lbs is the lowest I ever tried ALU Rough in the cross and VS at 62lbs in the mains on my Pure Drive Team. I have good racquet head speed and spin. this setup didn't do it for me. I prefer my usual 64lbs tension and with poly I can't go that high. The shock on off center hits is painful. In fact I've deserted poly all together and switched to NRG2 for now at 64lbs and it's working out. I'm trying Pacific TG 17 for this weekend's men's singles league since NRG2 doesn't hold tension well after one weekend.

haerdalis
10-17-2007, 02:14 PM
I personally find that stringing at low tensions is one of the main benefits of full poly.

woodie55
10-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Currently am stringing M Pro No. 1 (105 sq in) at 42lb on mains and 44 lb on crosses (Pro Supex Big Ace on mains and Pro Supex Synthetic Titan on crosses). Had it at 46/48 but it felt like a board and my shoulder did not like it at all. Played three sets last night with it and found it nice. Shoulder a little sore but nothing like it was before. Frankly I think that I could go ever lower but will stay with this at the moment

AceofBase
10-17-2007, 03:25 PM
I try 52 lbs full poly and its felt funny and too much pocketing (too soft and dont feel right to me and this was on my Squire midsize racket) but with 56 lbs full poly with my Babolat Aero Strike its felt good and nice. I guess its depend on how stiff the racket is or so cause the Squire racket i have seem to be very thin on beam and seem to be very flex compare to the Babolat.

Steve Huff
10-18-2007, 08:45 AM
I just strung one of my 5gs with 15L PHT in the mains at 40#, and an old nylon (Victor Statite 15L) in the crosses at 45#. I was impressed. Never though I would string low. I didn't feel as if I lost any control on groundstrokes, yet I got that little extra bump in power when I'd have to block a serve back.

HedwigEMK
10-18-2007, 09:07 AM
Actually I have the same question and ask around here before, pls see check below thread and it may contain some useful info:

"What's ur best tension for Poly?"

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=160698

tbini87
10-18-2007, 11:41 AM
i have strung at 50 lbs, and really like it. i was in the 55-60 lb area before, and 50 felt great. no loss of control, but added feel and pocketing and less stiffness. i don't see any problem with going lower. depends on how soft or stiff the poly is though... 53 lbs with poly polar felt really soft to me, because it is so soft and stretchy.

Alafter
10-18-2007, 08:30 PM
I can help contribute:

I string my Nblade 106 at 33 lbs with SPPP 1.18 for fun.

I can say that the stringbed became MUCH softer, like all hits feel more dull and softer. Not exactly "good" feel for me, just softer and duller. MUCH softer than the other racquet blade 106 strung with SPPP at 58 lbs.

I can say is the ball does fly further than usual, deep into the court for the shots that I strike correctly. On the downside, the unfamiliar feel of weird soft dullness also somehow lends to my inability to cope with the racquet--I just dont know how to adjust to it. Balls flew at unwanted angles when I swear I am doing the same thing as before.

shojun25
10-18-2007, 08:42 PM
I strung an mfil 300 at 45lbs with PSGD. It was really lively and it was easy to hit winners.

Paul Goldstein
10-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Aloha tennis freaks like me!~

In the last year I finally decided on the POG os for its weight, and arm friendly feedback.

Then I tried all sorts of strings, hybrids, gut, guages, and finally settled on sppp 1.18.

I started the tension at 60 then slowly went lower. Im now at 51 lbs full sppp 1.18. All along the way I tried a few lbs more for the mails and then a few lbs more for the cross. I think a few lbs less for the cross feels the best, but am still tweaking.

Im about to try 48lbs full sppp 1.18 in my pog os 107 and will let you know.