PDA

View Full Version : Unique Big Hitter Question

dupont
10-17-2007, 11:13 AM
if this string is pretty much a clone of ALU power, does it mean it also goes dead as fast as ALU power?

Lefty5
10-17-2007, 11:59 AM
maybe it does...but its does so at a fraction of the price of ALU.

Bottle Rocket
10-17-2007, 06:25 PM
When Luxilon is fresh, I haven't found anything that can compare. Especially for the first hour, then maybe the next hour or two, there is nothing like it. The spin produced is ridiculous.

A fresh string job of Unique Big Hitter plays more like Luxilon does after a few hours than fresh Luxilon. It maintains that playability for an extremely long time, especially the 16 gauge. Its a great string. It is very similar to most other polyester strings. To me, Luxilon is king (for the first few hours ONLY!), then it plays like the rest of the pack. The rest of the pack s all very similar.

My only gripe? It can be tough to find reels and the price of Cyber Flash won me over.

dupont
10-17-2007, 09:07 PM
thanks bottle rocket.

so your experience is big hitter plays like a couple of hours old alu power, and they both play more or less like other polys?

does that mean after an hour or two, alu power will play just like other polys, and stay that way?

ktownva
10-17-2007, 11:31 PM
I find that ALU remains playable until it breaks (about 3 weeks for me). I actually don't like the feel of fresh ALU, and once it has settled after a set or two it feels perfect til the end.

On the other hand, the Unique feels great when fresh, but immediately begins to lose tension and I have to cut it out after a week and a half.

I prefer the Luxilon since it winds up costing the same, it performs better, and I don't have to string as often.

BigGriff
10-18-2007, 01:46 AM
I found that ALU moved more than Big Hitter when strung at the same tension on my old APD's. I also thought Big Hitter was a tad softer but the spin production with ALU was higher unless you wne with the 17g Big Hitter.

PBODY99
10-18-2007, 03:06 AM
Using 17g BH for several players seems to work better for them than ALU. The play stayed fairly constant over the course of a couple of weeks and they weren't as likely to leave the string in too long and increase the risk to their wrist|arm. I string for a over 30 group mainly, younger players have other issues, and more resilient bodies.

Richie Rich
10-18-2007, 05:40 AM
i've found that big hitter does lose tension after about 5-8 hours. after about 12 it's toast and is cut out.

i've found that if i hybrid big hitter with a good syn gut the tension holds longer for some reason. i can get 20 hours out of this set up before the strings feel dead