PDA

View Full Version : Needs tips/advice (video included)

drakulie
10-17-2007, 02:32 PM
What advice or tips would you give? Any help is appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZgQ2lbCpO0

Jonnyf
10-17-2007, 03:25 PM
It's a shame the FH at 9 seconds falls just out of the frame!

Doc Hollidae
10-17-2007, 03:37 PM
"Com' mon!!!"

hyogen
10-17-2007, 04:20 PM
will look at when i get home

JCo872
10-17-2007, 04:22 PM

Drakulie,

Is that you playing? Doesn't look like you.

BeHappy
10-17-2007, 04:27 PM
JC0872

check out this thread

elbow bend in forehand:

http://w2.hidemyass.com/index.php?q=aHR0cDovL3R0LnRlbm5pcy13YXJlaG91c2UuY2 9tL3Nob3d0aHJlYWQucGhwP3Q9MTYxMzQ0

Jonnyf
10-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Drakulie,

Is that you playing? Doesn't look like you.

I don't think it is Drak, I think it's someone who was playing in the 45's tournament next to his home, The forehand (even from the like 1/3 of the guy we CAN see :p) looks completely different to what I remember Drak's to be. Also the guys in modern Adidas isn't that sacreligious for Drak, If it was him he'd be in some vintage Sampras kit! :-)

drakulie
10-17-2007, 04:43 PM
What are you guys talking about?? This is a buddy of mine. he asked me to post and ask for advice.

JCo872
10-17-2007, 04:55 PM
JC0872

check out this thread

elbow bend in forehand:

http://w2.hidemyass.com/index.php?q=aHR0cDovL3R0LnRlbm5pcy13YXJlaG91c2UuY2 9tL3Nob3d0aHJlYWQucGhwP3Q9MTYxMzQ0

That link takes me to some ip hiding program?

JCo872
10-17-2007, 04:57 PM

Hard to say from such a short clip, but I didn't see any full stroking. Just stabs at the ball.

Bundey
10-17-2007, 05:08 PM
Can't really see the forehand, but I'd say he is a 3.0. His forehand didn't look like he really swung through it, you could pretty much say that for all his shots...

BeHappy
10-17-2007, 05:11 PM
That link takes me to some ip hiding program?

ah sry, copied the wrong address

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=161344

Teh_pwnerer
10-17-2007, 05:13 PM
he uses conti FH?

Bundey
10-17-2007, 05:24 PM
What level of play was this?

jasoncho92
10-17-2007, 05:26 PM
What level of play was this?
4.0-5.5 from what drak said in his other thread

krz
10-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Can't really see the forehand, but I'd say he is a 3.0. His forehand didn't look like he really swung through it, you could pretty much say that for all his shots...

if you watch the other videos its clear they gotta be at least 4.5's

Bundey
10-17-2007, 06:18 PM
if you watch the other videos its clear they gotta be at least 4.5's

Yeah, I was way off base. I looked at the other ones and see they are 4.5. But based on this video I thought he was a 3.0.

Solat
10-17-2007, 09:00 PM
based on one point:

he needs to stay down thru his slice backhand, he lifted up head and all and no doubt that is why it was a shortball that his opponent came in off of. Lucky he flicked a stabby forehand pass.

krz
10-17-2007, 09:37 PM
I thought I was watching Nadal with that serve return footwork lol

desilvam
10-17-2007, 09:47 PM
He just needs to work on his fist pump :) The rest of his game is pretty good.

ShooterMcMarco
10-17-2007, 10:47 PM
I thought I was watching Nadal with that serve return footwork lol

Thats what I was thinking. Then the lateral movement reminded me of Laver how he just like of let his arms hang

Doc Hollidae
10-18-2007, 01:14 AM
He slaps his forehand. It's not a swing, it's a wrist snap. Prolly not a topspin type player, so a nice smooth flat stroke would prolly do him wonders.

A second option (I don't know how well this would work on clay, I only play on hard courts) might be to become a spin doctor. I played a 63 year old man in a tournament who hit inside out slice. He would mix that with normal slice to go down the lines or to drive the ball, but I never got the same depth or pace twice. Killer opponent to play against if the person is patient enough to do it, but I had to hand it to that guy, he knew how to play and made the most of what he had. However on clay, I don't know how well that would work. On fast surfaces it works fine since almost all players are now baseliners.

0d1n
10-18-2007, 01:33 AM
Yeah Drakulie, have your fun ... :p.
To the guys who stated "3.0"... just a couple of words...I have a feeling that you need to reconsider your positions ... pretty quickly...unless you LOVE talking out of your arse ;).

Edited out the reasons WHY I think this to be the case...Drakulie needs some more answers before the killer blow :p

Potito
10-18-2007, 02:38 AM
From what I've seen (a little) forehand swing is non-existent, there is not use of body and shoulder, wrist not laid back, and particularly no extension through the ball. A little bit better the backhand.

Mike Cottrill
10-18-2007, 06:28 AM
He slaps his forehand. It's not a swing, it's a wrist snap. Prolly not a topspin type player, so a nice smooth flat stroke would prolly do him wonders.

A second option (I don't know how well this would work on clay, I only play on hard courts) might be to become a spin doctor. I played a 63 year old man in a tournament who hit inside out slice. He .

Interesting that you said “spin doctor”, he plays with more types of spin than I have seen before and can use his wrist too as you noticed. Don’t be fooled, he can hit a drive. Has one of the nastiest twist serves around. Fast courts, yep grass

Mike Cottrill
10-18-2007, 06:33 AM
Drake,
I wondered if you would do this hehehe :lol: . He is 3.5 max, I mean TW folks can beat him in flip flops with socks over them hehehehe.

That video only shows his good stuff :oops:

johnny ballgame
10-18-2007, 07:29 AM

My advice is to quit trying to "trap" people into criticising players who happen to be good but who don't have nice-looking strokes.

WBF
10-18-2007, 07:29 AM
Haha, Drakulie trolling the "he's a 3.5" crowd. It would have been amusing had no one mentioned the other thread.

boojay
10-18-2007, 02:12 PM
I think he's an excellent ping pong player!

tbini87
10-18-2007, 02:24 PM
too short to see much. looked like he did not go for much and was going to let his opponent make the mistake. liked the fist pump! haha.

drakulie
10-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Did it occur to anyone that the reason he is blocking the serve return is because the serve was coming too fast? Not much time for a wind-up.

Bundey
10-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Did it occur to anyone that the reason he is blocking the serve return is because the serve was coming too fast? Not much time for a wind-up.

How do you explain the backhand? :confused:

drakulie
10-18-2007, 03:57 PM
^^^ drop shot??

Bundey
10-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Oh, I couldn't tell what that was, or where it even landed. Was it a good drop shot? It seems like anybody could have gotten to it easily.

drakulie
10-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Ok. Since some people opened there big mouths earlier in this thread I'll give everyone the inside scoop.

The guy on this vid is Val Wilder. He is the number 1 player in the US in the 45's. He is easily a 6.0 player, however the USTA has him rated 5.5. Take the rating with a grain of salt because at this level ratings from the USTA don't mean much.

The guy serving in this vid was hitting upwards of 120+ with nasty spin, which is why Val blocked it back. He then hit a drop shot (crazy good) to bring his opponent to net and then passsed him with a FH winner.

Here is another crazy drop shot from this guy. Also has a nasty kicker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHFMpmgxUQE

I video taped this match yesterday. I have been attending the USTA 45's Clay court championships this week. There are actually a few ex-pros playing this tournament. There is a thread in the Adult league section of the boards if you want to see pics and vids of the matches.

The semis are tomorrow.

Bundey
10-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Ok. Since some people opened there big mouths earlier in this thread I'll give everyone the inside scoop.

The guy on this vid is Val Wilder. He is the number 1 player in the US in the 45's. He is easily a 6.0 player, however the USTA has him rated 5.5. Take the rating with a grain of salt because at this level ratings from the USTA don't mean much.

The guy serving in this vid was hitting upwards of 120+ with nasty spin, which is why Val blocked it back. He then hit a drop shot (crazy good) to bring his opponent to net and then passsed him with a FH winner.

I video taped this match yesterday. I have been attending the USTA 45's Clay court championships this week. There are actually a few ex-pros playing this tournament. There is a thread in the Adult league section of the boards if you want to see pics and vids of the matches.

The semis are tomorrow.
Okay, I don't understand why you do this. It seems like you want it. You are always posting threads of a really great player, and asking to critique, then when they give a critique of of a 7 second video, were you can't even see the best shot you accuse them of having a big mouth. Nice one...

Bundey
10-18-2007, 04:20 PM
My advice is to quit trying to "trap" people into criticising players who happen to be good but who don't have nice-looking strokes.
My thoughts exactly, I don't know why he does this, just a waste of time.

drakulie
10-18-2007, 04:21 PM
^^^ Relax. :) take it easy.

Forza Milan
10-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Nice job on the split step....work on hitting through the ball more on the forehand. Extend your hitting arm farther out more before comming accross your body.

Bundey
10-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Nice job on the split step....work on hitting through the ball more on the forehand. Extend your hitting arm farther out more before comming accross your body.

Dude, the thread is over, lol. ;)

drakulie
10-18-2007, 04:27 PM

Could you explain what you mean by extending out more??

Thanks!

Mike Cottrill
10-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Oh, I couldn't tell what that was, or where it even landed. Was it a good drop shot? It seems like anybody could have gotten to it easily.

Trade mark Val. Spin Spin keep you off balance. You may get to the drop shot and may even when that point. However you will be tired at the end of that point. Lose a little on the serve and bang, you lose the next four points.

Jack the Hack
10-18-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm sorry I missed out on this one. As soon as I saw the video, I knew this was going to be fun...

(Oh well... too bad the joke is up.)

drakulie
10-18-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm trying to learn how to serve and volley, but keep getting passed. Could anyone help me?? Here is a vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckHVETyP680

Mike Cottrill
10-18-2007, 04:56 PM
I'm trying to learn how to serve and volley, but keep getting passed. Could anyone help me?? Here is a vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckHVETyP680

Why did you come in on a second serve :o ? The returner was going to play aggressive and attack the second (could tell by were he was standing).

drakulie
10-18-2007, 04:59 PM
^^OK. So I shouldn't come in on the second serve if my opponent is playing to his FH side??? :)

Bundey
10-18-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm no serve and vollier, but you don't need to come in on a medium paced topspin second serve like that.

BTW how many people started in the tournament, and how many are there now?

drakulie
10-18-2007, 05:01 PM
^^^ 128 started. Only 4 remain. The # 1, 2, 4, and 5 seeds.

Mike Cottrill
10-18-2007, 05:04 PM
^^OK. So I shouldn't come in on the second serve if my opponent is playing to his FH side??? :)

Serve down the middle if you wanted to come in this case. Thake the angle away and make him move.

drakulie
10-18-2007, 05:05 PM
^OK. I will try that. How about on the deuce side?

Bundey
10-18-2007, 05:12 PM

Wait, and your still in it? What seed were you.

drakulie
10-18-2007, 05:15 PM
^^^ No , I didn't play the tourney. I'm not 45. LOL

I live at the club where the tournament is held.

Mike Cottrill
10-18-2007, 05:16 PM
^OK. I will try that. How about on the deuce side?

Humm, Try and take a tad off the first and get it in. Try a jam shot into the body. But don't try that on a second.

Mike Cottrill
10-18-2007, 05:27 PM

Val's long time buddy lost :-(

drakulie
10-18-2007, 05:29 PM
^^^ Val was hurting after today's match. His right knee was iced up after the match. He plays Pablo ( the ex-pro) tomorrow. I posted a vid in the other thread of a nasty drop shot hit against val today. (That match was unbelievable).

PS: Who ever wins out of Pablo and Val is going to win the tourney. The two other guys don't have the weapons these two have.

Mike Cottrill
10-18-2007, 05:43 PM
^^^ Val was hurting after today's match. His right knee was iced up after the match. He plays Pablo ( the ex-pro) tomorrow. I posted a vid in the other thread of a nasty drop shot hit against val today. (That match was unbelievable).

PS: Who ever wins out of Pablo and Val is going to win the tourney. The two other guys don't have the weapons these two have.

Yea, hopefully Val's knee holds up. That is a lot of matches in a row. Ex 100 or higher in the worlds even old ones, still have those weapons that got them there. Everyone I know that has had knee surgery is never 100% better after. Hoefully knee is okay and he is just icing it.

Kaptain Karl
10-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Few coaches are as able as I am to fully analyze a player with two 11 second clips ... but I can do it. And I will (this time) give a free analysis....

Footwork: The guy's probably an ex-Linebacker; that's what his "readying" footwork (running in place) conveys. I'm going to have to put him through some intensive Plyometrics training and totally re-work his Ready Position and footwork. (3 months until he will get this "reflexively".)

Return: Good racket prep and shoulder turn, but it will take 1 month to make the actual stroke smoother/better.

Positioning: Pretty good; an instinctive mover.

Slice Backhand: Way too much of a "scooping" motion. In the 2nd clip his stroke is nearly identical ... and he lucks-out with a mis-hit Drop Shot for a winner. (Purely luck.) It'll take 3-6 months to work the hacker out of this slice and get it to drive with authority, instead of float.

Forehand: Oh boy! This needs a complete re-work! Poor prep, too little backswing [Whaddya mean, "I couldn't have seen that. I'm a Professional Coach; I could tell.] And look at that "swat" of a stroke!!! Hi 2nd FH shows I'm right.
Triage on this guy says his FH needs immediate attention. (2-4 years.)

Serve: Nice smooth topspin-slice serve, with good action on it. Looks like it's a reliable part of his game. (It's actually surprising to see a player with such mediocre strokes have such a functional serve. Curious....)

Conclusion: Somewhere between 2.25 and 4.5 years from now I'd be able to have him doing well in his local 4.0 tournaments.

P.S. His racket has too small a head and too flexible ... (or is it too big and too stiff)?

Consultations by Appointment Only

- KK

J011yroger
10-18-2007, 08:56 PM

A lot of those former tour players can beat you by sheer force of will alone. Even when they are hurt, or not hitting on all eight, they can just grit their teeth and find a way to beat you. It may not be pretty but they seem to all have that ability to blatantly refuse to lose. They may not be able to walk in the morning, but they will find a way to win.

J

Jonnyf
10-19-2007, 06:42 AM
Few coaches are as able as I am to fully analyze a player with two 11 second clips ... but I can do it. And I will (this time) give a free analysis....

Footwork: The guy's probably an ex-Linebacker; that's what his "readying" footwork (running in place) conveys. I'm going to have to put him through some intensive Plyometrics training and totally re-work his Ready Position and footwork. (3 months until he will get this "reflexively".)

Return: Good racket prep and shoulder turn, but it will take 1 month to make the actual stroke smoother/better.

Positioning: Pretty good; an instinctive mover.

Slice Backhand: Way too much of a "scooping" motion. In the 2nd clip his stroke is nearly identical ... and he lucks-out with a mis-hit Drop Shot for a winner. (Purely luck.) It'll take 3-6 months to work the hacker out of this slice and get it to drive with authority, instead of float.

Forehand: Oh boy! This needs a complete re-work! Poor prep, too little backswing [Whaddya mean, "I couldn't have seen that. I'm a Professional Coach; I could tell.] And look at that "swat" of a stroke!!! Hi 2nd FH shows I'm right.
Triage on this guy says his FH needs immediate attention. (2-4 years.)

Serve: Nice smooth topspin-slice serve, with good action on it. Looks like it's a reliable part of his game. (It's actually surprising to see a player with such mediocre strokes have such a functional serve. Curious....)

Conclusion: Somewhere between 2.25 and 4.5 years from now I'd be able to have him doing well in his local 4.0 tournaments.

P.S. His racket has too small a head and too flexible ... (or is it too big and too stiff)?

Consultations by Appointment Only

- KK

KK, the guys like a 5.5 or 6.0 apparently I think it's Val Wilder or something.

Thud and blunder
10-19-2007, 08:23 AM
Thanks, Johnny, we'd be lost without you.

Thud and blunder
10-19-2007, 08:48 AM
My thoughts exactly, I don't know why he does this, just a waste of time.

To ascertain whether people can tell the difference between a tennis racquet and a hole in the ground. Evidently some people can't, but it doesn't stop them sounding off authoritively on tennis-related matters.

This info is good to know, and Drak is providing an important public service.

Slazenger
10-19-2007, 09:09 AM

The below is a critique of this point alone. These are obviously good players but shot selection in this point was poor from the guy in white.

Val's opponent really was asking for it.
He hits a high loopy defensive return of serve, which Val takes early but hits a very neutral forehand that bounces inside the service box.
He pretty much set up his opponent to take advantage of the shot and control of the rally, instead he just sliced it cross court with quite a bit of air.
That backhand should've gone up the line or at the very least deep cross court.

drakulie
10-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Drak is providing an important public service.

Thanks! :) Glad to see someone recognizes my importance in the "grand scheme of things". :)

crosscourt
10-26-2007, 06:17 AM

I don't know what level you are playing at, and this is only one point, but at a guess I think you need to keep the ball away from the returner's forhand on the second serve, and if you do go to the forehand you need to give the returner a ball that he can't just hit down on and hit short. You may also have closed too close to the net.

cc

oscar_2424
11-03-2007, 03:07 PM

hahahhaha, so clueless...

AJK1
01-11-2008, 05:49 PM
My rating would be he is a struggling club player with no proper technique who has never had any decent coaching lessons for any length of time on the fundamentals of tennis and who has basically got himself to where he is through years of playing. Pretty much like what Drakulie has done over the years.

WBF
01-11-2008, 06:03 PM
My rating would be he is a struggling club player with no proper technique who has never had any decent coaching lessons for any length of time on the fundamentals of tennis and who has basically got himself to where he is through years of playing. Pretty much like what Drakulie has done over the years.

Pshhh.

Like it really matters.

I bet this guy could make many big time college players look absolutely silly*.

*Unless I'm mistaking him for someone else. If he was a big player at the tournament Drakulie covered... He's good. Very good.

J011yroger
01-11-2008, 06:36 PM

He lost to Stefan Edberg at Wimbledon, that is more than your average struggling club player can say.

J

TENNIS_IS_FUN
01-14-2008, 12:49 AM
Based on that one point, i would say a 2.0 - 2.5.

firstservethenvolley
01-14-2008, 01:04 AM
He lost to Stefan Edberg at Wimbledon, that is more than your average struggling club player can say.

J

pssh...no big deal.
Even I could lose to Edberg.
He must've have lost to a young Edberg, I'd get tripel bageled by Edberg when he turns 60.

tns
01-14-2008, 03:39 AM
stop stabbing at the ball, take more full swings starting lower then swing through the ball to get a better forehand. i cant really tell but it looks like you are standing straight on to the server when you return the ball like roddick. standing side on and turning can generate more power and thats all i can think of atm

Thud and blunder
01-14-2008, 03:57 AM
stop stabbing at the ball, take more full swings starting lower then swing through the ball to get a better forehand. i cant really tell but it looks like you are standing straight on to the server when you return the ball like roddick. standing side on and turning can generate more power and thats all i can think of atm

Thanks, dude; you're the best!

Now I'm going to give that Edberg dude the spankering he deserves.

ZPTennis
01-14-2008, 06:04 AM

Why did no one state the obvious?

The guy who came into net had the point won had it not been for the fact his shot clipped the top of the net which made the ball a sitter.

Makes for a pretty easy passing shot.

WildVolley
01-14-2008, 11:37 AM

The guy who came into net had the point won had it not been for the fact his shot clipped the top of the net which made the ball a sitter.

Very good point. Drakulie was being quite tricky on this point. He purposefully chose a point in which Val blocks back a hard serve, is put on the defensive and offers up a weak backhand which would have been put away except for the netcord, and then flicks at the hard-to-time ball with a cross court pass.

Drakulie has proven the folly of rating a player on a few seconds of video, but he hasn't proven that Val is a great model of modern stroke form. I watch the best players in the world and they don't hit like Val does on the forehand or backhand side. Val would crush me in a match, but I'd rather model my technique on Federer, Safin, etc.

ramseszerg
05-31-2009, 12:59 AM

Wow, I never noticed the net cord on that forehand. I have been watching this clip over and over for like over a year and never quite figured it out. It sounded like a hard hit forehand but the ball sits up..

BTW, it was not appropriate for Val Wilder to cmon-pump after that point since the net cord involved luck that was in favour of him.

I'm still puzzled over that backhand. Drakulie says the backhand slice was a drop shot, but looks more like a sitter to me.. Can't tell for sure, neither can I tell whether there was so little time that he had to hit a sitter.