PDA

View Full Version : My Serve *VIDEO*

jasoncho92
10-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Well after i got the ps 85 i had the urge to use platform style like i used to and this is the second time ive actually used it since 6 months of playing tennis. Im gonna stick with it and im wondering what i can improve on it. Thanks

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ziMYvwcqQQQ

Well i changed some stuff and i took a vid in a better angle too.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yBGxFoeXfdk

And is it ok if i face my back to the net as much as i do?

habib
10-17-2007, 02:47 PM
There seems to be a really odd hitch halfway through your motion, wherein it seems like you almost stop the momentum you've built and start over again immediately prior to contact.

hyogen
10-17-2007, 02:51 PM
ill take a look at it when I get home.

What NTRP level are you just out of curiosity?

jasoncho92
10-17-2007, 02:53 PM
There seems to be a really odd hitch halfway through your motion, wherein it seems like you almost stop the momentum you've built and start over again immediately prior to contact.
How can i fix that because i have no idea with the platform stance. And from the groundies videos i put up people said i was a 3.5

habib
10-17-2007, 03:41 PM
How can i fix that because i have no idea with the platform stance. And from the groundies videos i put up people said i was a 3.5

I don't know. Looking at the video again, there just seems to be some strange jerkiness when you set up for the shot.

jasoncho92
10-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Maybe someone else can point it out lol

Gee Willikers Batman!
10-17-2007, 03:49 PM
Habib is right, you do have a little hitch that stops your momentum.

habib
10-17-2007, 03:57 PM
I've looked at this over and over and all I've come up with is that it looks like your racquet arm is doing something very strange when you're moving it into position. And this strange thing its doing is causing the jerkiness.

Jonnyf
10-17-2007, 03:59 PM
It's his (left) leg/knee (the leg closest to the line) it's moving awkwardly.

Bundey
10-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Yeah, there seems to be a little hitch with your left leg at the knee. Also on the last serve your were very off balance. Which of those serve was in, and which were out?

jasoncho92
10-17-2007, 04:18 PM
First one a bit out and the rest in i think

EDIT// I remember now, all were in

jasoncho92
10-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Does the hitch at the beginning of the serve at the left knee really create that big of a difference?

Bundey
10-17-2007, 04:53 PM
Does the hitch at the beginning of the serve at the left knee really create that big of a difference?

Well it doesn't look very pretty and it is wasted motion, but I don't know how much of an impact it would have. BTW since you have only been playing for 6months how do you think you can benefit from a PS 85???? :confused:

jasoncho92
10-17-2007, 05:07 PM
Well i played with it before just a while ago and i liked it a lot. Im also playing a lot better with it since its lower powered than my 95 which i thought was too powerful. Its fun to play with too lol

Bundey
10-17-2007, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I've always wanted to try to one, but am not willing to demo it, because I doubt I would benefit from it. Okay sorry for hijacking the thread.

tbini87
10-17-2007, 06:32 PM
looks pretty good for 6 months of playing. is that your first serve? do you have a slice or kick for a second serve? something you should definately work on. i did not really notice the whole hitch in your swing, it seems pretty small to me... just some thoughts.

Fedace
10-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Maybe someone else can point it out lol

perhaps i can email you the link to the pete sampras service motion video or post a link or something. Pete had the best platform motion in history and best thing is any amateur can learn from it. motion needs to be one continuous motion from back swing to contact point. Or if this is too difficult then you can learn the abbreviated motion like the current pros are trending toward. for some reason more and more pros are going to abbreaviated service motion like Roddick. it is actually very simple but you need to learn to use your legs if you want a good service motion and power and control. It is just too long to explain it all in this little post, but picture is worth a thousand words, keep studying the motion of Pete and you can learn so much from it.

jasoncho92
10-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Well my email is jasoncho92@gmail.com so if you could email me the video please :D.

Fedace
10-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Well my email is jasoncho92@gmail.com so if you could email me the video please :D.

http://www.dono.com.cn/tujie/tujie.htm
this is the link, i hope it works. Sampras service motion is first 2 and it has few others which are also useful i think, like Hewitt forehand and so on, have you ever seen this before ??:grin:

jasoncho92
10-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Nope lol. Thanks for the link, but ill have to figure out which is which lol.

EDIT// Are they both first serves?

Fedace
10-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Nope lol. Thanks for the link, but ill have to figure out which is which lol.

EDIT// Are they both first serves?

yea supposedly they are both first serves. i also like hewitt forehand and sampras backhand slice motion video also. they also have Safin i think. If this continuous service motion is too difficult for you then maybe try the shorter swing like Roddick uses. It looks funky but it does work and it is very simple. if you are worried about losing power, i thought power is same with either swing, power comes from the legs. i tried the roddick motion in practice just for the hell of it and i was suprised how much power i was able to muster up with such a short swing.

rum02
10-17-2007, 07:31 PM
it's almost like you hit the ball, then immediately try to stop your follow through. try hitting through the ball on your serve, to help you do this lean back, hit your serve how you're hitting it and instead of stopping at the baseline follow your serve in like a serve-volleyer would, this will encourage you to keep a fluid motion, and to transfer your weight through the serve better, allowing for more power. also maybe try to stay side-on a little longer during your service motion, you seem to be turning front-on to the court too early.

jasoncho92
10-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Well i hate the abbreviated motion because it feels so weird. And ill try to stay closed a bit more and to put my momentum into the court.

Fedace
10-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Well i hate the abbreviated motion because it feels so weird. And ill try to stay closed a bit more and to put my momentum into the court.

Agree, i hate the way the abb motion looks as well, it is just not pretty like sampras motion. Once your motion becomes a one smooth continuous motion, then you will have to learn to use your legs more. then you can turn the serve into a weapon.

jasoncho92
10-17-2007, 08:16 PM
I just rewatched it and i can easily tell i look really rushed. And ill work on the continuous motion part of it tomorrow when i play

Fedace
10-17-2007, 08:22 PM
I just rewatched it and i can easily tell i look really rushed. And ill work on the continuous motion part of it tomorrow when i play

Also the guy at www.fuzzyyellowballs.com is a expert in teaching service motion. he had a thread in this forum about service motions and he will talk to you on whatever you want help with. He is a USPTA pro and tons of experience. i forgot the thread name. i will try to find out. but you can go on his site and ask him, his name is Will. he seem to really know about how to teach proper mechanics and i really think he can help you. let him see your video too. let me know how it goes with him..:grin:

jasoncho92
10-18-2007, 04:55 AM
If he responds ill let you know what he said. And thanks for helping me fedace :D

jasoncho92
10-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Also the guy at www.fuzzyyellowballs.com is a expert in teaching service motion. he had a thread in this forum about service motions and he will talk to you on whatever you want help with. He is a USPTA pro and tons of experience. i forgot the thread name. i will try to find out. but you can go on his site and ask him, his name is Will. he seem to really know about how to teach proper mechanics and i really think he can help you. let him see your video too. let me know how it goes with him..:grin:
This is what he said.

Thanks for the email. I took a look at your serve and have a couple
observations. You're pushing off your legs too soon. You want to
have fully pushed off your legs by the time you get to the racket drop

(where the racket is behind your back and pointed straight down at the

court). You push off and then drop the racket. Also, you rotate back

toward the net too soon. When you're in your racket drop you are
partially facing the net. What you want is to be sideways when you
are in the racket drop and then rotate to face the net as you swing up

at the ball. My two observations are probably related -- because you
use your legs to help you rotate around, pushing off too early is
going to result in you facing the net too early.

RE: the platform stance, you might be transferring your weight forward

a little too early. It's hard for me to tell because the Youtube
player doesn't allow frame-by-frame (which is pretty lame).

Overall, your motion is pretty solid. I think w/a couple tweaks
you'll have a very effective serve.

Hope this helps,

Will

He didnt say anything about a hitch so im wondering what exactly it is

hoosierbr
10-18-2007, 03:45 PM
The hitch that some have referred to, to my eyes, occurs with the tossing of the ball, which is too inconsistent by the way. After you the toss the ball you seem to stop and jump into the ball rather than pushing up and into it with your legs, which is what the pro you wrote to is saying.

Rather than waiting and letting everything flow you seem content to get the ball up and then jump into it but the with toss going in front, above or behind your head it's tough to smooth things out.

For me the ball toss is the key aspect to a good serve. If the toss is consistent and I can count on it being in a certain place or if it's moving not getting away from me too much, my motion tends to glide nicely into it.

So, in short, I'd recommend getting the ball toss a little more consisent and working on patience. By jumping into the ball as you do now you're rushing the serve. You'll do better to relax and maximize your knee bends and legs.

Hope that helps.

jasoncho92
10-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Ill keep all of this is mind when i do only serves on saturday

tricky
10-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Just wondering . . . when you take the racquet back, do you flip the racquet upwards with your forearm in order to get the racquet pointing up for the trophy position?

jasoncho92
10-18-2007, 06:02 PM
If i do, i do it without trying to because its always been the way ive done it lol

tricky
10-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Yeah, it doesn't look like you're letting the arm motion pivot the racquet upwards into the trophy position. If that's so, then you'll have a hitch because you'd have no "forward action" loaded into your swing. Therefore, after the toss, you'd recoil the racquet again to "throw" the racquet into the ball, where instead the takeback should have already provided the energy.

jasoncho92
10-18-2007, 06:20 PM
Im decently sure i can fix that pretty easily. So ill try to make the arm motion do the work

Fedace
10-19-2007, 04:48 AM
Im decently sure i can fix that pretty easily. So ill try to make the arm motion do the work

This is alot of information, sometimes too much info is not good. try to keep it simple. try to have a visual in your mind as to what you are going to do. that is why, it is really helpful to have a reference point like pro serve motion to emulate. not that we are going to have a serve like Pete ever but just to have a good reference point we can remember a visual of.:grin:

jasoncho92
10-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Updated it with a new video. I think i fixed some stuff and im gonna practice more tomorrow if it doesnt rain but did it get any better?