PDA

View Full Version : Question Re. Continental Grip and Thumb

Drona
10-18-2007, 06:27 AM
I realized that I keep my thumb extended on volleys straight over bevel #3, however when looking at some pics on the tennis dot com, I see that Federer's thumb wraps around the grip and touches/meets his index finger.

http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/instructionarticles/netgame/netgame.aspx?id=547

Does anyone else hold the cont. grip the same way? I tried wrapping my thumb around the grip more but it feels like loss of control?

lkdog
10-18-2007, 08:21 AM
Check you grip application. I am switching from using Eastern grips on the volley to a Continental.
I found out that what I thought was a Continental was a bit "weak" as my index finger knuckle was a little bit turned toward the top.
I moved it a bit to a more correct Continental and it feels much stronger on volleys.

Go over to Fuzzy Yellow Balls and look at their grip lessons.

I discovered this flaw when Dave Smith from Tennis Mastery amazingly noticed my Continental was ever so slightly toward an Eastern BH from a serve video.

That said, the only drawback to your grip with the thumb fixed on bevel three might be an inability to finesse the volley as much as it could restrict being able to open the face as easy. Not sure. Others may know better.

jasoncho92
10-18-2007, 04:08 PM
His thumb is in-between the space created by the index finger and middle finger

Drona
10-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Check you grip application. I am switching from using Eastern grips on the volley to a Continental.
I found out that what I thought was a Continental was a bit "weak" as my index finger knuckle was a little bit turned toward the top.
I moved it a bit to a more correct Continental and it feels much stronger on volleys.

Go over to Fuzzy Yellow Balls and look at their grip lessons.

I discovered this flaw when Dave Smith from Tennis Mastery amazingly noticed my Continental was ever so slightly toward an Eastern BH from a serve video.

That said, the only drawback to your grip with the thumb fixed on bevel three might be an inability to finesse the volley as much as it could restrict being able to open the face as easy. Not sure. Others may know better.

My knuckles are correctly alligned, the only difference is my thumb.
I use continental for both fh and bh volleys.
BTW, I have Tennis Mastery's book as well. It is very helpful though I have not yet progressed past the 3.5 level.

lkdog
10-18-2007, 05:53 PM
I guess I might ask-how is your volley?

Drona
10-18-2007, 06:21 PM
My volley's good for my level (3.5-4) meaning I still strugle w/ angle and drop volleys...
I actually do well w/ low volleys/midcourt keeping them deep. I'd say that I am too conservative w/ higher volleys in that I just punch it and keep it in play. I note that 4.0s routinely put those away.
Could my thumb/grip be limitting growth? Or is it a red herring. I'd rather not force myself to adjust to a "new" grip if unecessary.

lkdog
10-18-2007, 06:55 PM
My volley's good for my level (3.5-4) meaning I still strugle w/ angle and drop volleys...
I actually do well w/ low volleys/midcourt keeping them deep. I'd say that I am too conservative w/ higher volleys in that I just punch it and keep it in play. I note that 4.0s routinely put those away.
Could my thumb/grip be limitting growth? Or is it a red herring. I'd rather not force myself to adjust to a "new" grip if unecessary.

Maybe hit with a pro a bit to see if, in fact, it is restricting your volley technique in any way. It actually does not sound like it.

The better volleyers I run into at the 4.0-4.5 level have excellent racquet prep, footwork, weight shift, and really bend at the knees correctly on their volleys.
Maybe focus on those elements which can always be improved by most players.

Drona
10-20-2007, 04:14 AM
Maybe hit with a pro a bit to see if, in fact, it is restricting your volley technique in any way. It actually does not sound like it.

The better volleyers I run into at the 4.0-4.5 level have excellent racquet prep, footwork, weight shift, and really bend at the knees correctly on their volleys.
Maybe focus on those elements which can always be improved by most players.

I hit w/ a pro the first of the month usually; he briefly checked my grip and said it was okay but I don't know if he looked at the thumb or if it was important? Actually what he recommended focusing on were those things you list... particularly for midcourt high volleys, using your legs to pop through them (but keeping the arm and hand motion the same).

Nevertheless, I hit yest. and tried wrapping my thumb around the handle... felt like my grip was looser, felt a loss of control and missed some that I'd usually make easily, but I did hit one or two really nice skidding low volleys. I don't know. It sounds like how I was holding the grip w/ the thumb straight isn't terribly obviously wrong? Though I was hoping others would chime in and say they hold continental the same too! I'll bring it up next time I take a lesson.