PDA

View Full Version : best string for beginner

youngage
10-18-2007, 12:05 PM
hey everyone just looking for the right strimng for me.

i am a hard hitter and i put spin on the ball.

i also need control. what string do you all reccomend?

Scarab_Renfield
10-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Try out this set up...

Signum Pro Poly Plasma 1.23 for the mains and Topspin Cyber Flash 16 for the crosses

What racquet do you have and what tension does it say?

ChocolatePie
10-18-2007, 12:45 PM
You don't sound like a beginner to me =)

tbini87
10-18-2007, 01:04 PM

how old are you? what type of racquet are you using? when people are beginners i don't think they need to really worry about using great strings, or hybrids or anything like that. i would use a cheap syn gut (gosen og micro, prince syn gut, forten sweet) that will be easy on the arm. if you are going to use poly i would suggest topspin poly polar because it is really soft with decent spin and playability.

tennismaster888
10-18-2007, 01:04 PM

You don't sound like a beginner to me =)

yeah he doesn't sound like a beginner to me either =] but i personally think that if u r a beginner there is no need to wrry about strings but u need to worry more about form...when i was a beginner the only thing that mattered to me was the way i hit not what i hit with.

tennismaster888
10-18-2007, 01:05 PM
how old are you? what type of racquet are you using? when people are beginners i don't think they need to really worry about using great strings, or hybrids or anything like that. i would use a cheap syn gut (gosen og micro, prince syn gut, forten sweet) that will be easy on the arm. if you are going to use poly i would suggest topspin poly polar because it is really soft with decent spin and playability.

haha you beat me to it...

desilvam
10-18-2007, 01:13 PM
1) Cheapest string
2) Get the 15L or 16 gauge (thick strings) if you want the string to last longer

aeroman
10-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Anything cheap really. Pro Supex Spiral Flex (something like that) is a good, cheaper alternative to PSGD. Did you decide what racquet you're going to use?
Aeroman

youngage
10-18-2007, 03:44 PM
yea i did man. its between 2 now and i just need to demo tomorrow

the k surge and the k six one team

also does playing in the rain with your racquet ruin or affect the racquet after its dry?

tennismaster888
10-18-2007, 03:53 PM
i dont think it affects the racket but it affects some strings

tennismaster888
10-18-2007, 03:56 PM
so if i played in the rain the racquets would be ok?

like i would understand why the strings wouldnt be as good because they got wet
but i mean like the raqquets performance wouldnt go down or anything right?

i believe so but u might want a second opinion or u could try a search

youngage
10-18-2007, 04:01 PM
anyone know? if playing in the rain would affect the performance of the stick after it dries? or itll be ok?

and also i should use cheap string, but at what tension?

AlpineCadet
10-18-2007, 04:03 PM
so if i played in the rain the racquets would be ok?

like i would understand why the strings wouldnt be as good because they got wet
but i mean like the raqquets performance wouldnt go down or anything right?
I'm just venturing to say that if you aren't using gut, and if you are using one of the o3 prince rackets, then I believe it would be fine to play in the damp, because those o-ports are molded into the frame, rather than drilled into the frame (while leaving small openings into the body of the frame.)

Capt. Willie
10-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Any string they are willing to throw in for free.

youngage
10-18-2007, 04:07 PM
so it wouldnt be ok if i played with a six one team or a ksurge....?

youngage
10-18-2007, 04:09 PM
ok i got it. cheap string, but what tension but what about me playing my six one or surge in the rain...?

Valjean
10-18-2007, 04:36 PM
Do you want to play in the rain? Why do that...

youngage
10-18-2007, 04:47 PM
no because i bet my friend 20 bucks i can beat him tomorrow, and its prolly gonna rain, but srew the rain , we're playing rain or shine, so i was just wondering.

last time i took lessons was when i was 12 he has been learning since summer.... we'll see, but i juts wanted to know if anything bad would happen to the stick?

and also what tension is good for a biginner

aeroman
10-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Nothing too bad should happen to the frame. A good tension for a beginner is maybe 58 or 56, those racquets are pretty stiff so I would probably go with 58. Anyway they're demos so they're not yours are they???
Aeroman

youngage
10-18-2007, 06:06 PM
nope sure arent. i was just wonder what string i s good and at what tension

TheShaun
10-18-2007, 06:27 PM
your demo racquets will already come strung. don't worry about the string and tension of those.

but for when you have your own racquet, cheap good synthetic gut (gosen, prince) and at the racquets mid range tension is a good place to start.

shojun25
10-18-2007, 06:27 PM
Just get the most popular, all around string: Prince Syn Gut w/ Duraflex. It's an above-average string that a lot of people find to their liking.

To your question about water affecting strings... most syn gut and all polyester based strings do not get affected by water or moisture. Natural gut, however, are affected by them.

Since you are a beginner, I suggest starting with synthetic guts and multifilaments first. Try polyester strings later. Polyester strings has a stiff feel, so it is not recommended for amateur players to use these strings. If you start experiencing a mushy feel when you hit, then I would suggest trying polyester strings.

youngage
10-18-2007, 06:41 PM
ok guys.

and so youre all 100% positive the stick wont screw up after playing in rain?

shojun25
10-18-2007, 06:45 PM
Does plastic deteriorate when you leave it somewhere where its raining? Does nylon clothing get damaged when it gets rained on?

Capt. Willie
10-18-2007, 10:04 PM
You should be more concerned with breaking your neck playing in the rain...especially if you are playing on hard courts. As far as the racquet, the rain won't hurt it any. Only natural gut will get damaged in rain.

Capt. Willie
10-18-2007, 10:07 PM
SWEEEETyou think hitting rocks and pebbles and other object that can fly high speeds from a raqceut is a good idea?

I hope you are joking.

As for the tension question...on the side of the frame there should be a recommended tension range. Go to the middle of that and add 2 pounds. Another words, if it says 50-60 pounds, string it at 57. Than the next time you need it restrung you will have some idea if you want to go a little looser or tighter.

old coach
10-19-2007, 09:38 AM
This is funny, beats any comedy shows.

aeroman
10-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Just go play. It will not hurt the frame. Good luck.
Aeroman

TheShaun
10-19-2007, 04:22 PM
SWEEEETyou think hitting rocks and pebbles and other object that can fly high speeds from a raqceut is a good idea?

i really hope he's not out hitting rocks right now....

AlpineCadet
10-20-2007, 12:12 AM
Just let kids be kids, lol.

youngage
10-20-2007, 06:37 AM
alright i am back , and happy

haha i beat the guy and got my 20....YES. anyways

i tried 3 racquets the sixone team, puredrive rodick, and the ksurge.

gonna have to cut the team but the other 2 were solid

which one should i choose?...

Loco4Tennis
10-20-2007, 07:21 AM
1) Cheapest string
2) Get the 15L or 16 gauge (thick strings) if you want the string to last longer

i strongly agree here, good starting point for any beginner,
16g synthetic gut seems to be the staple for playability and durability,

aeroman
10-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Good job. You could buy string with that 20 if you wanted. Any synthetic gut will do. You really shouldn't worry about it until you start breaking strings. I would think that the pure drive roddick would be a little heavy. I would go with the ksurge. You won't be able to generate as much racquet speed with the roddick and your arm will get sore after a while. You can always add lead tape too though, but you can't decrease weight (well you can it's just very hard).
Aeroman

Capt. Willie
10-20-2007, 08:08 PM
i tried 3 racquets the sixone team, puredrive rodick, and the ksurge.

gonna have to cut the team but the other 2 were solid

which one should i choose?...

Why not try three more before buying?

But if you are sure you are going to be happy with one of those, than I would tend to agree with what Aeroman wrote...go with the Ksurge.

Of course all the cool kids use Babolats.

aeroman
10-21-2007, 10:15 AM
If there was a pure drive team or aeropro drive that may be a babolat that may work for you though if you want to stay with babolat. I would demo it first though.
Aeroman