PDA

View Full Version : I JUST ADDED LEAD TO MY RACQUET...with Good results-but-->PLEASE HELP!!

Andy Zarzuela
10-18-2007, 12:17 PM
I added about 3 inches of lead (1/2" thick) at 10 and 2 on my racquet, which is a Yonex MP-Tour 5. My groundstokes are WAY more consistent and spot-on; however....It it kind of uncomfortable to serve...Like I am whiffing balls because there is more weight in the head, and somewhat harsh on the shoulder. My question is, I obviously need to put lead under the grip to counter balance it. Which method is the best? And how muchs hould I put?

neverstopplaying
10-18-2007, 02:14 PM
There's not hard rule for adding lead or customizing. What each person prefers is what is right for them. The harshness in the shoulder could just be you getting used to a different swing weight and it could go away. If you like to go to the net, you probably will be more uncomfortable if you don't counterbalance with weight in the handle.

In some racquets, when I've added lead, I have compensated with fishing weights within the handle;I think this method is outlined on the TW website and works well for me. In others, I've been quite happy with a more head-heavy racquet.

Trial and error, bud.

fuzzfactory
10-18-2007, 02:33 PM
Trial and error, bud.

QFT 10 char

Kaptain Karl
10-18-2007, 02:38 PM
My approach to adding lead is increments. Start with an inch on the head... add to it an inch at a time and play until you decide to stop adding.

And remember because it peels right off, it's easy to undo a mod you don't like. On the handle your increments can be bigger. If I were you, I'd probably try one circumfrence of the handle just at the top of the grip.

Have fun. Be patient.

- KK

LPShanet
10-18-2007, 04:31 PM
I added about 3 inches of lead (1/2" thick) at 10 and 2 on my racquet, which is a Yonex MP-Tour 5. My groundstokes are WAY more consistent and spot-on; however....It it kind of uncomfortable to serve...Like I am whiffing balls because there is more weight in the head, and somewhat harsh on the shoulder. My question is, I obviously need to put lead under the grip to counter balance it. Which method is the best? And how muchs hould I put?

To start out with, you should probably just remove the overgrip and put lead there, until you figure out the appropriate balance. That gives you the ability to tweak it. Once you've found the perfect combo, you can put the lead under the replacement grip or even inside the handle.

Also, you can experiment with sliding it down the head a bit, or with reducing the amount slightly.

bertrevert
10-18-2007, 06:27 PM
The serve is one of the most difficult strokes and one most susceptible to a change of racquets, or in modifications to your one racquet. You've changed the SW by the addition of lead. So I wouldn't be surprised that this stroke is the one's that's awry at the moment. Get a bucket of balls and hit the court doing serves.