PDA

View Full Version : Is This Girl Good?

CivicLx
10-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Just happened to come across this video on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItpBL1iP5tI&mode=related&search=elias%20faltenhine%20tennis%20University

goober
10-18-2007, 11:38 AM
She looks pretty good- but then again everybody does in these hightlight reel films from practice. She definitely looks better in form and technique than the women I see playing in clubs that are 4.0 rated.

samster
10-18-2007, 11:40 AM
She is attractive, I give you that much.

LarougeNY
10-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Her forehand's really nice, volley's alright, backhand forms good. I think she's good, don't know if its d3 or d1, maybe d2 though.

357sig
10-18-2007, 03:17 PM
thats a solid 5.0 but playing a match is different

evan904
10-18-2007, 03:28 PM
i think she has a good forehand

abenguyen
10-18-2007, 04:41 PM
pretty intense forehand there. she said she was 16? thats pretty good then. and she is quite attractive

Commando Tennis Shorts
10-18-2007, 05:53 PM
very good for a 16 year old. forehands look excellent. i wish she'd come to Arizona. The team could use a boost

jamauss
10-18-2007, 10:33 PM
Commando - do you play for AZ or just a fan?

AceofBase
10-19-2007, 02:45 AM
Nice, wish she was my gf!

Fedace
10-19-2007, 04:41 AM
She is attractive, I give you that much.

She Not hot.

rum02
10-19-2007, 05:55 AM
a few threads have already been started over this video. would you really want her as your girlfriend? I mean she's pretty hot, but imagine the humiliation of being thumped by her on the court (I presume most of us would lose to her in a match).

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
10-19-2007, 06:24 AM
Sorry.... solid 5.0? ....wish she would come to UofA?
Maybe 3.5 because her youth covers a lot of ground, maybe the camera is making her nervous, then I would hate to see what she does when a whole dozen people watch, like at most women's university tennis matches.

No, someone should tell her to start thanking providence for Title IX.
What was supposed to provide "equal" opportunity is actually destroying opportunities. When the other shoe drops, and the "rest" of Title IX starts really being enforced- equal coaches and equal staff positions in althletic departments; Goodbye Men's minor sports-starting with tennis,baseball and track.

gerikoh
10-19-2007, 07:55 AM
she's good for a lady. but was the trainer like a non pro? or maybe he's just being easy on her?

Commando Tennis Shorts
10-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Commando - do you play for AZ or just a fan?

i wish. nope, just a very big fan. i do play at robson tennis center several times a week (recreational/intramural/club play/etc.). . .i do know a few of the players---great guys and girls, really exhuberant fun way of playing

l_gonzalez
10-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Well she has better volleys than Roddick!

she needs to get some better hitting partners/coaches... that guy she was serving against couldn't return to save his life.

bluegrasser
10-19-2007, 03:05 PM
That girl has got game ! she'd smoke most of you wannabe':)

drakulie
10-19-2007, 03:07 PM
She Not hot.

I agree. She is so ugly she scares fright.

Solid strokes.

J011yroger
10-19-2007, 03:36 PM
I agree. She is so ugly she scares fright.

Solid strokes.

Drak we need to hang out, we would be the perfect wingmen, exact opposite taste in girls. Each one of us would think the other was jumping on the grenade.

J

Bolt
10-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Drak we need to hang out, we would be the perfect wingmen, exact opposite taste in girls. Each one of us would think the other was jumping on the grenade.

J

Brilliant! I nominate this for post of the day.

J011yroger
10-19-2007, 03:40 PM
P.S. The girl has got game. That is some pretty stout batspeed for a 16 year old off the ground. Serve is soft, but it is very rare to see, even very good girls that really throw nails.

Anyone look up her ranking? I would be interested. At the least she would be fun to hit against (And not just because she is cute).

J

drakulie
10-19-2007, 03:40 PM

J

Ok, we'll hang out>>>> but only if your Goose. :)

J011yroger
10-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Ok, we'll hang out>>>> but only if your Goose. :)

YOU! are still dangerous. . . But you can be my wingman anytime!

J (aka. Iceman)

drakulie
10-19-2007, 03:50 PM
^^^^^ LMAO! Too good.

chess9
10-19-2007, 03:56 PM
She's very good for 16. What's her national ranking?

She's very fit, with a great kinetic chain. She hits the ball hard.

Some of her volleys looked suspect, and her service motion is a bit ragged. Niggling comments, really, considering her age and demonstrated athletic ability. She's definitely D1 material, IMHO.

How tall is she?

-Robert

Jack the Hack
10-19-2007, 04:04 PM
P.S. The girl has got game. That is some pretty stout batspeed for a 16 year old off the ground. Serve is soft, but it is very rare to see, even very good girls that really throw nails.

Anyone look up her ranking? I would be interested. At the least she would be fun to hit against (And not just because she is cute).

J

According to this site (http://www.juniortennis.com/ajt/rankings_year_end.php?rankingid=40&year=2006), this girl was ranked #19 in Canada in the girls 16 and under category last year.

She has no ITF ranking, but I definitely think she could get a Division I scholarship somewhere based on this level of play in Canada.

J011yroger
10-19-2007, 04:04 PM
She's very good for 16. What's her national ranking?

She's very fit, with a great kinetic chain. She hits the ball hard.

Some of her volleys looked suspect, and her service motion is a bit ragged. Niggling comments, really, considering her age and demonstrated athletic ability. She's definitely D1 material, IMHO.

How tall is she?

-Robert

I had the same question about height, looks real tall (for a girl). I would guess 5'11. In another couple years when she grows into her body (got that all arms and legs thing goin on) I bet that serve will come right around.

Same with the volleys, if she really cares about becomming an all court player, they will come around.

J

J011yroger
10-19-2007, 04:10 PM
According to this site (http://www.juniortennis.com/ajt/rankings_year_end.php?rankingid=40&year=2006), this girl was ranked #19 in Canada in the girls 16 and under category last year.

She has no ITF ranking, but I definitely think she could get a Division I scholarship somewhere based on this level of play in Canada.

Jack the Hack, on the spot.

Told y'all the girl had game.

J

jamauss
10-19-2007, 04:33 PM
i wish. nope, just a very big fan. i do play at robson tennis center several times a week (recreational/intramural/club play/etc.). . .i do know a few of the players---great guys and girls, really exhuberant fun way of playing
Wes Miller and Matt Brooklyn played an exhibition match (best of 5 games) at the tennis center here last weekend (the new Surprise Tennis center) as part of the "tennis block party" the tennis center held. Both of those guys can nail the ball pretty hard. I think Matt won the best of 5 games 3-1. Good tennis from both guys. :)

bagung
10-19-2007, 04:57 PM
she is good....
especially the forehand.....
good and attractive....

Commando Tennis Shorts
10-20-2007, 12:42 AM
Wes Miller and Matt Brooklyn played an exhibition match (best of 5 games) at the tennis center here last weekend (the new Surprise Tennis center) as part of the "tennis block party" the tennis center held. Both of those guys can nail the ball pretty hard. I think Matt won the best of 5 games 3-1. Good tennis from both guys. :)

Oh, you're at ASU? Awesome---I've got a few friends who go there. Yeah, Claudio Christen is by far my favorite current player here at the UA. Peter Zimmer and Jonathan Davis are pretty good guys. They basically just ripped apart my partner and me over the summer at a local doubles tournament---beat us by four games or something like that. Nathan Cochrane is also a good guy. On the women's side, I know Katie Orletsky---haha, she's a fun girl. Megan Hamre (of years' past) is incredibly down to earth and just a nice girl.

jamauss
10-20-2007, 12:46 AM
I'm not actually a student at ASU (just have a couple of tennis friends that are) - I was just mentioning that I got to see Wes and Matt play the exo at the tennis center last weekend. Tracy Austin also played an exo mixed doubles match with a couple of really good junior players (around 12 yrs old) and an old doubles partner of John Austin (Tracy's brother) who runs the tennis center here. (I string racquets for the tennis center and play there as much as I can).

Punisha
10-20-2007, 02:55 AM
mmm shes alright... couldnt stop lolling at the volleys... obviously she doesnt volley often... the few i saw just floated... serves a bit soft but hey... she plays like a slower hitting female pro typically. Cant volley, nothin speshal with the serve but big groundstrokes... for 16.

anchorsteamer
10-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Oh, you're at ASU? Awesome---I've got a few friends who go there. Yeah, Claudio Christen is by far my favorite current player here at the UA. Peter Zimmer and Jonathan Davis are pretty good guys. They basically just ripped apart my partner and me over the summer at a local doubles tournament---beat us by four games or something like that. Nathan Cochrane is also a good guy. On the women's side, I know Katie Orletsky---haha, she's a fun girl. Megan Hamre (of years' past) is incredibly down to earth and just a nice girl.

How long have you been at the UofA? Tucson is a fun spot (as long as your not stuck there during the summer)...and yeah Nates a pretty damn funny guy...

anchorsteamer
10-20-2007, 08:26 AM
As for the girl she's not very good...though you dont have to be very good to get a scholarship in womens tennis...

35ft6
10-20-2007, 08:37 AM
She looks pretty good. Coaches don't like to see heavily contrived "match play" footage though. Her opponent is obviously either genuinely terrible or pretending to be over his head against her. They want to see real match play more than long stretches of people hitting fed balls.

With that said, her technique is good. I would think she could play at least high level d-2.

Azzurri
10-20-2007, 03:23 PM
nice player and good technique. seems to set up well and her strokes seem automatic, however I look much better hitting shots than live match playing, so it depends. But she is a nice athlete.

Azzurri
10-20-2007, 03:30 PM
As for the girl she's not very good...though you dont have to be very good to get a scholarship in womens tennis...

agreed. It is easier for women to get tennis scholarships (from my limited experience). Guys I know that were really good tennis players barely made divison II, but a few pretty good female players I knew back in the day got DI scholarships. Still, she has nice strokes. She's young to boot. 3 more solid years to play before she goes to college and she could get a lot better (Canada schools go to 13th grade..correct?).
I would not mind having a nice looking girl to play tennis with (over 18 of course).

gerikoh
10-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Well she has better volleys than Roddick!

she needs to get some better hitting partners/coaches... that guy she was serving against couldn't return to save his life.

agreed! i bet i can take him anytime. well, if he plays like that

Cervantes
10-20-2007, 11:17 PM
I'll jump that grenade...

anchorsteamer
10-20-2007, 11:25 PM
agreed. It is easier for women to get tennis scholarships (from my limited experience). Guys I know that were really good tennis players barely made divison II, but a few pretty good female players I knew back in the day got DI scholarships. Still, she has nice strokes. She's young to boot. 3 more solid years to play before she goes to college and she could get a lot better (Canada schools go to 13th grade..correct?).
I would not mind having a nice looking girl to play tennis with (over 18 of course).

It's actually the opposite, Canada schools end a year earlier...meaning she's probably looking for a sholarship right now.

As for making videos and sending them to coaches...no coach in the D-1 even looks at them as anybody can look good in a video (not to mention a spliced together one indoors with a guy feeding her shots). From this video it's impossible to tell how good she is (she could be a 3.0) but considering the fact that she's even making a college video, and making one that looks like this I'd have to guess she's not very good at all...maybe D-3

J011yroger
10-21-2007, 05:00 AM
It's actually the opposite, Canada schools end a year earlier...meaning she's probably looking for a sholarship right now.

As for making videos and sending them to coaches...no coach in the D-1 even looks at them as anybody can look good in a video (not to mention a spliced together one indoors with a guy feeding her shots). From this video it's impossible to tell how good she is (she could be a 3.0) but considering the fact that she's even making a college video, and making one that looks like this I'd have to guess she's not very good at all...maybe D-3

I understand that Canada isn't the US, and I am just posting her ranking, have not looked at tournament results to see if her ranking is artificially high due to playing a zillion tournaments.

I am pretty friendly with many college coaches, DI and otherwise. They tell me that they pretty much recruit from the nationals, and if someone is sending a video, what they want is a complete uncut set, win or lose.

J

goober
10-21-2007, 05:20 AM

She's definitely not 3.0. Besides her national ranking in Canada she has won the Nova Scotia Open twice. Granted I have no idea of how big is that tournament but 3.0 women or even 4.0 don't win Open level tournaments. I predict that she will be playing D1 or D2 tennis next year.

Azzurri
10-21-2007, 06:03 AM

That's odd because my family is from Canada. Three of my siblings were born and raised there. They grew up in Toronto (N. York area). All three went to different high schools and I believe they all went 13 grades compared to American schools that go to 12th grade. You are saying they go to 11th grade? Kindergarten and then 11 grades?? I will call my brother later and confirm what is correct..he is a teacher in the Toronto school district.

I agree. I look much better just hitting. Maybe its a bit different in Canada since tennis is not as popular. She has nice strokes and they seem pretty consistent, but you have more experience than I do in these cases so I will defer to you. But she is cute.;)

anchorsteamer
10-21-2007, 12:40 PM
She's definitely not 3.0. Besides her national ranking in Canada she has won the Nova Scotia Open twice. Granted I have no idea of how big is that tournament but 3.0 women or even 4.0 don't win Open level tournaments. I predict that she will be playing D1 or D2 tennis next year.

It's tough on the Canadians, as I had Canadian teammates at both schools I attended (women and men) and all came over at the age of 16/17. Apparently there are several systems at work in Canada, meaning some Canadians might be older but from what I have noted most come over on the young side.

Again, based on her compilation video and ranking I'd say she is not very good as 19 in Canada is not very good (in regards to playing Division 1 tennis). Women's tennis is different though as they practically give scholarships away, but in mens tennis if your 19 in Canada your looking at Div. 2 or walking on with no scholarship money as Canada is a really weak section.

Azzurri
10-21-2007, 04:30 PM
OK..I just confirmed the information on how many years kids go to HS. It has changed to 12 years approx. 4 years ago. So at this time they no longer go 13 years. But they DO NOT get out of school earlier.:)

Commando Tennis Shorts
10-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Doesn't Kindergarten count as a grade---so 13 years? So if in Canada they go 12 years, they would get out of school a year early, right, unless they start school later?

Legend of Borg
10-21-2007, 05:53 PM
She's good. Just good though.

winks
10-22-2007, 03:03 AM
There are 4 pages on this same girl in a thread from about a month ago....

This young lady can hit a pretty mean ball...
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=157253

Azzurri
10-22-2007, 04:55 AM
Doesn't Kindergarten count as a grade---so 13 years? So if in Canada they go 12 years, they would get out of school a year early, right, unless they start school later?

Canada schools go from K-12th grade. So 13 years total. I did not include this information in my last post because my prior post made that clear.

When I said 13 years earlier I meant grades 1-13 (unlike in the States its 1-12). I did not really count KG because many schools still have kids go 1/2 day. Doesn't matter at this point.

anchorsteamer
10-22-2007, 07:45 AM
OK..I just confirmed the information on how many years kids go to HS. It has changed to 12 years approx. 4 years ago. So at this time they no longer go 13 years. But they DO NOT get out of school earlier.:)

Are you talking about all of Canada or certain parts as the players from Montreal that were on both teams I played at in college all came over a year earlier (16 or 17) and said they had a year less then American schools. The guy from Toronto and Vancouver came over at the same age so I'd imagine your right but I'm pretty sure Montreal is on a different system (though I have no idea where this girl is coming from)...though if she is making a college video now one would think she's looking at colleges for the somewhat near future right?

Women's tennis though...she'll probably get a full ride to sit on the bench at bad unranked D-1...stupid Title 9...

Azzurri
10-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Are you talking about all of Canada or certain parts as the players from Montreal that were on both teams I played at in college all came over a year earlier (16 or 17) and said they had a year less then American schools. The guy from Toronto and Vancouver came over at the same age so I'd imagine your right but I'm pretty sure Montreal is on a different system (though I have no idea where this girl is coming from)...though if she is making a college video now one would think she's looking at colleges for the somewhat near future right?

Women's tennis though...she'll probably get a full ride to sit on the bench at bad unranked D-1...stupid Title 9...

Makes sense...Quebec is not like Ontario. I will look into it.

She has nice strokes and footwork...FOR PRACTICE. You are right that we can't really tell because all she is doing is hitting balls. I know there are days I look like a pro (practice) and when it comes to the match I get tense or whatever and lose to a lower level player. This video really says nothing and as you pointed out, college coaches probably don't put too much into these kinds of videos.

Football...do HS football coaches send in film (of a player) showing practice or a live game? Pretty stupid question and that should answer everyone else on this board why this video does not tell us much (I still say she is a nice player and easy on the eyes, but we all know there is more than that.) Can she become better? sure, she seems to have a nice game now.

Azzurri
12-12-2007, 09:02 AM
Its been confirmed...finally. Ontario school ditsricts USED to have 13 years (not including kindergarten) of school. That changed aprrox 4 years ago.