PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Near Tampa, Florida

Moz
10-18-2007, 12:12 PM
I'm english and will be staying in Riverview, Tampa for November and most of December. I have a solid record in 4.5 tennis (2005/6 mainly) and was wondering if anyone would be available to hit a few balls during the daytime / evening over this period?

Also, does anyone have any clubs they can recommend in the area where I wouldn't have to become a member but can play at? Or perhaps there is someone on here who needs someone to play in their mixed team.

I have transportation and also I believe there are courts that can be used in the community I will be staying in.

Thanks in advance.

Geezer Guy
10-18-2007, 12:21 PM
I've only visited Tampa once, but noticed quite a few courts in area. Also, you'll be reasonably closed to Bollettieri's http://www.imgacademies.com/tennis/jump.sps and Saddlebrook http://www.saddlebrook.com/tennis.html so if nothing else you can schedule a day or two there.

GS
10-18-2007, 03:31 PM
There's a beautiful claycourt facility in downtown Tampa, right near the Forum and the Marriott Hotel. They can probably match you up with a player.
They couldn't when I was last there---it rained like crazy then.

Moz
10-22-2007, 09:21 AM
Thanks chaps. I'll check them out.

Topaz
10-22-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm english...

Are you sure?!? ;) Are you absolutely *positive* that you aren't Australian?

Moz
10-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Are you sure?!? ;) Are you absolutely *positive* that you aren't Australian?

oi, behave yourself Topaz!

Topaz
10-25-2007, 02:21 AM
oi, behave yourself Topaz!

I *always* behave myself! :-D

Are you still planning on going to the Ft. Lauderdale tourny in December?

Moz
10-25-2007, 08:32 AM
Hi Topaz

Yes, still planning on it - will hopefully be playing a few tournaments in Florida over Nov / Dec.

Topaz
10-25-2007, 08:40 AM
Hi Topaz

Yes, still planning on it - will hopefully be playing a few tournaments in Florida over Nov / Dec.

It looks like there will be a strong TW contingent there then!

Sup2Dresq
10-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Hey Moz!

Yes I hope you can make it to Ft Lauderdale for the tournament.

Drakulie apparently wants to get .. what i think you English called .."schnockered".. i may be wrong with the word.

Check out the CC Bistro or South Florida chapter for updates.

Topaz can't wait to have lemon drop shooters with you!!! Right Topaz?

Moz
10-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Hi sup

The English slang dictionary must have about 150 different words for it but the effect is the same thing.! Looking forward to it.

I've also entered the over 35's national champs in Daytona Beach starting November 2nd and have a few tournaments in between.

Moz
10-25-2007, 10:32 AM
....plus I'm probably too innocent to know what sort of cocktail Lemon Drops and Topaz mixed makes.

Sup2Dresq
10-25-2007, 10:38 AM
....plus I'm probably too innocent to know what sort of cocktail Lemon Drops and Topaz mixed makes.

She's already been practicing!

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/Sup2Dresq/TopazDrink.jpg

Topaz
10-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Yes, well, I've been alerted to the fact that my present tolerance will not be acceptable come December. I would rather not end up waking up on the beach...in Cuba.

Bodacious DVT
10-25-2007, 07:57 PM
saddlebrooke tennis academy is located in tampa. im pretty sure you might be able to find a match there...

Sup2Dresq
10-31-2007, 06:18 AM
Good luck Moz in your Tournament this weekend. 35's National Clay Court is great tournament. I wish I had played it this year.

Btw, if you get a chance, check out Andy Lake Saturday at 8:30am. You should be on court anyways after your first round win *wink wink*

Go Dimitiri.. oops i mean Andrew.

*Ironic.. the guy you play lost to David Mast last year*

jmsx521
10-31-2007, 07:03 AM
I think there is a men's open tournament in Tampa next weekend.

Moz
10-31-2007, 07:26 AM
Thanks very much Sup

I saw David had played him. Looking forward to the first round as the guy is a 5.0. If I win that I play a guy who got to 185 on the ATP a few years ago which should be interesting. I'll check out the other guys match at about 08:47 saturday morning!!!

I will probably play the Temple Terrace tournament in Tampa the folllowing weekend and I'm at Bolletieri's for a full week starting this monday which should be good.

Topaz
10-31-2007, 08:16 AM
Go Moz!!!

Do it for the Aussi....oh, I mean the Brits! :)

Topaz
10-31-2007, 08:17 AM
Good luck Moz in your Tournament this weekend. 35's National Clay Court is great tournament. I wish I had played it this year.

Btw, if you get a chance, check out Andy Lake Saturday at 8:30am. You should be on court anyways after your first round win *wink wink*

Go Dimitiri.. oops i mean Andrew.

*Ironic.. the guy you play lost to David Mast last year*

You guys should team up for doubles sometime!

Sup2Dresq
11-05-2007, 07:36 AM
Awesome job Moz at Nationals! Not too shabby getting 2 matches in that level of a tournament.

Good luck with Nick B's Academy. Remember to grunt.. they like that.

Hope you can make it to Fort Lauderdale for the first week of Dec. 30's Nationals is going to be fun. Topaz wishes to share several lemon drop shooters with you.

Topaz
11-05-2007, 08:20 AM
Awesome job Moz at Nationals! Not too shabby getting 2 matches in that level of a tournament.

Good luck with Nick B's Academy. Remember to grunt.. they like that.

Hope you can make it to Fort Lauderdale for the first week of Dec. 30's Nationals is going to be fun. Topaz wishes to share several lemon drop shooters with you.

Sup, since *you're* the one who keeps bringing up the lemon drops, I think *you* are the one who really wants to drink them, hmmmhh?

PS...way to go Moz!!!

Moz
11-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks chaps.

I am still planning on making the 30's nationals. I am a much better drinker than tennis player as I get a lot more practise.

Camp was very informative today but completely knackering!! I feel like a school kid again.

Sup2Dresq
11-27-2007, 07:23 AM
Moz!

Congrats on the 4.5 Singles Porsche Turkey Bowl win! My friend Chris T. usually wins that but decided to play 5.0.

Congrats!

You still coming to the 30's? You playing doubles?

For those who don't know. This tournament is huge. The open division has past champions like Roddick and Monfils. Moz here took the 4.5 singles beating out the #1 seed.

http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournaments/Draws/EventDraw.aspx?T=57383&E=8

Had to give you props Moz.

Good luck in Fort Lauderdale. I'll be landing there on Monday. You available for a hit?

Moz
11-27-2007, 07:57 AM
Hi Sup

Thanks very much. It was all going to plan until the final where it turned into pushers paradise. I'm also struggling with a stomach strain which is making serving and sneezing painful.

The open draw had some great players in it - the runner up used to be 102 in the world. It was weird though that even at 31 his game seemed really dated compared to the younger players.

I've got a mate flying in on sunday so we may go to the Keys until tuesday. I will send you an email with my phone number - I may be around on the monday for a hit - not sure yet. We can't decide whether to enter the doubles or leave the end of the week free to go drinking in Miami....

Topaz
11-27-2007, 08:14 AM
We can't decide whether to enter the doubles or leave the end of the week free to go drinking in Miami....

Surely there is time for both?!? ;)

Congratulations Moz!!!

Sup2Dresq
11-27-2007, 08:15 AM
We can't decide whether to enter the doubles or leave the end of the week free to go drinking in Miami....

Oddly, I doubt that will be a contest, especially after the Keys.

chess9
11-27-2007, 08:51 AM
Was going to NB's place helpful preparation for the tournament? If so, in what way?

Where in England are you located? I'm going in March for 6 months.

-Robert

Moz
11-27-2007, 10:40 AM
Looks like we're going to enter both. Apparently my mate hasn't played for a while so that gives us the opportunity to drink beer during the doubles - two birds with one stone!

The tennis camp helped quite a bit. Firstly because of the sheer number of balls I hit and secondly it has helped my court awareness in terms of which shots to hit and how to technically adjust the way I hit them. Mostly obvious stuff I suppose.

I live in St. Neots, Cambridgeshire. Where do you think you'll be staying when you come over?

Topaz
11-27-2007, 12:12 PM
Moz!

Congrats on the 4.5 Singles Porsche Turkey Bowl win! My friend Chris T. usually wins that but decided to play 5.0.

Congrats!

You still coming to the 30's? You playing doubles?

For those who don't know. This tournament is huge. The open division has past champions like Roddick and Monfils. Moz here took the 4.5 singles beating out the #1 seed.

http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournaments/Draws/EventDraw.aspx?T=57383&E=8

Had to give you props Moz.

Good luck in Fort Lauderdale. I'll be landing there on Monday. You available for a hit?

Hey! I just realized this had a 3.5 women's draw! Maybe next year!!!

chess9
11-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Looks like we're going to enter both. Apparently my mate hasn't played for a while so that gives us the opportunity to drink beer during the doubles - two birds with one stone!

The tennis camp helped quite a bit. Firstly because of the sheer number of balls I hit and secondly it has helped my court awareness in terms of which shots to hit and how to technically adjust the way I hit them. Mostly obvious stuff I suppose.

I live in St. Neots, Cambridgeshire. Where do you think you'll be staying when you come over?

I'll be near The Village of Rusper, about 8 miles from Gatwick. That's West Sussex, I believe.

I looked up St. Neots. LOL! Looks very charming. Some parts of England haven't suffered from the infestation of suburban blight, eh?

I've played at quite a few of the bigger venues in England, including Queen's Club, but have only visited Wimbledon.

Anyway, you are only about 50 miles away, right? I'll be playing some tournaments, so we might hook up for a pint or three. ;) (Actually, I'm the world's worst drinker. One beer does me in.) But I'd love a hit.

-Robert

Moz
11-27-2007, 03:27 PM
It's about 100 miles away with the M25 in the way unfortunately. Hopefully we can catch up during some tournaments or if I'm down in that area.

We will have to address the beer situation with some focused training....

Do you know what rating you'll be playing at?

Moz
11-27-2007, 03:28 PM
and they must have shown the nice parts of st. neots. You have probably seen it's lovely **** rather than it's spotty arse.

chess9
11-27-2007, 04:12 PM
It's about 100 miles away with the M25 in the way unfortunately. Hopefully we can catch up during some tournaments or if I'm down in that area.

We will have to address the beer situation with some focused training....

Do you know what rating you'll be playing at?

Well, I'm older than dirt, so, I'll probably play 50's, 55's, and 60's. Until I qualify for 65's, which won't be long. Here in the States I'm going to play some 4.5 or 4.0, depending on the result of a qualifying match against a 4.5 I'll soon be playing. My fitness level is 6.0, but my stroke level is 4.0 :) I've been doing triathlons for the last 25 years, and did Ironman UK 2 years ago.

I'll let you know here, when I'm in England. Or, you can send me your email addy. I'm PrinceOfFabulous@yahoo.com

Cheers!

-Robert