PDA

View Full Version : can somebody tell me why they like serena

big ted
11-14-2004, 08:48 PM
how can anybody with a brain like serena williams shes so high on herself

She wore a white T-shirt with the slogan `I Heart Me' after the match.

``I love me. I love everything about me. I love my legs, I love my arms, I love my lips, I love my eyes,'' she said, laughing. ``I think it's important for everyone to love themselves.''

The tennis guy
11-14-2004, 09:19 PM
You can call brainless if you want. I don't care about her personality that much, or any tennis players'. I just watch tennis. If you can objectively watch tennis, you have to admit when she is ON, she is an incredible tennis player.

thatballwas_IN
11-14-2004, 10:15 PM
I don't like most of her personality, but she really has brought up the level of athleticism in women's tennis. Now everybody hits the weights and trains harder and she has forced some weaker pure finesse players out of the game. (sniff)
Now everybody hits hard, but not before the Williams sisters... hardly any women served hard before them.
And Serena can do a nice imitation of a Sampras overhead and does the splits when she slips and can probably squat more than most of us ... they are top level athletes that could compete in many events besides tennis I think.

They can both be very gracious after victories and defeats although that was probably coached into them. But still, after some HORRENDOUS calls in old matches with JCAP, she didn't pout or whine or cry.

Then the Williams sister's lost their focus and started counting their dollars and the Russian Pack caught up with them. Now they too get winners smacked right past them which has been rather shocking to them I think.

Serena is still the best athlete on the WTA, but the margin is closing. She will probably return to the top briefly and then retire.

But the game will never be the same. Hopefully someone in the future is coming with the power of a Williams and the finesse of a Hingis too! If only Hingis and Philipoussis would have a daughter!

(post might not make sense.. too sleepy :?: )

topspin
11-14-2004, 10:41 PM
The stuff they do off court doesn't really bother me, they seem like nice people living their lives. I've just never been impressed with their one dimensional power game.

Datacipher
11-14-2004, 10:48 PM
I don't like most of her personality, but she really has brought up the level of athleticism in women's tennis. Now everybody hits the weights and trains harder and she has forced some weaker pure finesse players out of the game. (sniff)
Now everybody hits hard, but not before the Williams sisters... hardly any women served hard before them.
)

I think you're giving them way too much credit here. Extreme fitness conditioning has been in since Navratilova, Martina was fitter than both Williams combined. I believe Graf was a superior athlete to either of the sisters and power has been increasing slowly and steadily for the last 20 yrs in women's tennis, slowly forcing out the slower players. The Williams are examples of this trend...not pioneers or catalysts.

big ted
11-14-2004, 10:58 PM
i dont think serena will ever get back on top again. it like cliff drysdale said she needs to commit to tennis full time to come back. and i dont think shes willing to do that. i think she'd rather retire after her next injury and go into movies like she always talks about

pound cat
11-15-2004, 04:11 AM
I don't mind her at all & what she's done for women's tennis is immeasurable. She raised the bar for women players & the overall quality of the pro game has risen, she's inspiring young girls who might not think tennis was a sport they could play now play this great game, and if you say the word "Serena" to 90% of Americans in a word association test the immediate response will be "tennis player". Just as 'Roddick" will get the same response. Don't bother trying it with Bryan Brothers (a band??) or Taylor Dent (a department store???)

No one has to love her or even like her, but if you see her be prepared to thank for for her contribution to the sport.

BLiND
11-15-2004, 04:33 AM
I thank her perents, I dont think she knows what shes doing :-)

jaap deboeck
11-15-2004, 04:37 AM
She's a part time player now with other interests yet still good enough to make a serious run at the championships and still a threat to win every tournament she enters. The sisters exposed the women's tennis establishment, embarrassed it even, and are still disliked for it. We fans do not know any of these players personally and cannot say one woman is "nicer" than another. We can say the sisters are better athletes andiwth 10 slams between them have nothing to prove on court. Even without the hunger Serena now is feared. Not liked but feared and respected. They are no more or less likeable than the rest. Likeable?: I read Myskina's lips during her semifnal: at one point she remarked, "Go f*#k yourself!" to someone. It depends what you mean by likeable. Da?

pound cat
11-15-2004, 04:58 AM
Most of myskina's remarks during a match are directed at her coach who must be a very patient person,

mary fierce
11-15-2004, 05:41 AM
People who are open, honest and brash can be off-putting to fans who prefer their heros utterly uncontroversial. (I'm sure Sampras is a fine person, but has he uttered an interesting sentence during his entire career?).

ian mercier
11-15-2004, 10:40 AM
opinions on Serena (and the Williams bunch) seem to be a mixed bag. Unfortunately, their rise to the top (and subsequent fame) puts them in an "extreme" light, if you will. This basically means that you can take all of the "normal" things that they do (whatever they are) and throw them all out, because you will NEVER hear about them. You will only see and hear the sensational, either good or bad. In that regard, who really knows (among us) very much about Serena? I, personally, would in most cases take to heart only the criticisms made by those closest to them. Everything else is probably based on some slant or another. As for her tennis? I can only put one word on it: STRONG. She's at the top...period. Anything else can be debated until the cows come home.

tennis-n-sc
11-15-2004, 11:54 AM
I like people because they come across as being sincere, caring, nice folks. Serena is an imature, self-centered, self-promoting twirp. She is never without an excuse. Not only did Richard keep them from junior tennis, he kept them from sportsmanship in general. Venus has matured very much since her debut and is enjoyable and insightful in her comments. However, I almost bet in a few years I will like what Serena becomes. I didn't like Hingis, either. Then she began losing a few matches, gained a little humility and became tolerable. There were periods when I didn't care for Monica, Steffi, Martina, Andre, and a group of others. Then they grew up. Serena will too.

Nyl
11-15-2004, 03:16 PM
i like her as a tennis player, regardless of wut kinda person she is off-court

thatballwas_IN
11-15-2004, 03:25 PM
data,

i agree that Navritilova made a huge jump in fitness that made Evert and others rethink their approaches to the sport, but i think that the Williams sisters are a huge jump in natural athleticism.
i don't even know how much they work out, i think they were just born like that. serena certainly isnt in great cardio shape right now and she is still in the finals.

similar to the reaction to what I saw recently ( Virginia Universities giving FULL RIDES to female volleyball players that can't get a serve in and thinking when I have a daughter she is going to play a sport like that so I don't have to pay for school....) --no i'm not a chauvinist, it was the reality!
Richard Williams saw the same opportunity for his kids and tennis. His kids are 6" taller and a lot more muscular than most women on tour.

Anyway, they aren't the first to raise the fitness/athletic bar , but I think they took it to another level.

P.S. - NO, i do not want to arm wrestle Martina N.!

Andy Zarzuela
11-15-2004, 05:48 PM
data,

i agree that Navritilova made a huge jump in fitness that made Evert and others rethink their approaches to the sport, but i think that the Williams sisters are a huge jump in natural athleticism.
i don't even know how much they work out, i think they were just born like that. serena certainly isnt in great cardio shape right now and she is still in the finals.

similar to the reaction to what I saw recently ( Virginia Universities giving FULL RIDES to female volleyball players that can't get a serve in and thinking when I have a daughter she is going to play a sport like that so I don't have to pay for school....) --no i'm not a chauvinist, it was the reality!
Richard Williams saw the same opportunity for his kids and tennis. His kids are 6" taller and a lot more muscular than most women on tour.

Anyway, they aren't the first to raise the fitness/athletic bar , but I think they took it to another level.

P.S. - NO, i do not want to arm wrestle Martina N.!

Yeah, I agree. Martina N. has way more tone than ANYONE I know. She's scary. She's got arms that guys wish they had. Very masculine. She appears to be so strong, yet she never could hit a serve that big. Anna K's fastest serve was faster than Martina's.
________
MAINE MARIJUANA DISPENSARY (http://maine.dispensaries.org/)

Ronaldo
11-15-2004, 06:34 PM
Just like Kuzzy, can think of a million reasons why I like Serena after tonight's match. Btw, missed the semis but got home minutes after the match which my 6 yr old granddaughter watched. Her question was why Serena was playing a man.............

davey25
11-18-2004, 06:30 AM
I dont like her. She annoys the hell out of me and I am enjoying womens tennis so much more now than big trophies dont have her name. I cant believe anybody would think Mauresmo is a man, she doesnt hit the ball as hard as some of the other top woman even though she does look like a man. She certainly is not powerful enough hitting to be a man, if somebody would seem like a man in that regard it is Serena.