PDA

View Full Version : Which string to string with before my tournament?

crazy8tiger
10-18-2007, 03:38 PM
-I have my first tournament coming up and I'm still using the Synthetic Gut 16g on my Liquidmetal Radical.
-Do you guys think I should restring before a tournament to stay safe or does restringing before give me more of a risk of breaking them?
-And, if yes to the above question, what string do you recommend for some control/ball pocketing, but with a mix of a good amount of power?

theace21
10-18-2007, 04:31 PM
I wouldn't try out a different string before a tournament.

If you have an extra racket, I might just play with and if it breaks use the other. Depends on if you are a string breaker...Is the string about to go? How often do you break strings?

crazy8tiger
10-18-2007, 05:03 PM
This is my "first" racquet and I've been using it for a few months now. They are Head Synthetic Gut 16g strung at around 56 lbs and so far they haven't broke from the day I got them. The string still feels pretty tight and don't look they are very near breaking point. But I'm not an expert at strings so I'm not sure if I should restring it so I have some fresh ones.

aeroman
10-18-2007, 05:33 PM
If you get it restrung I wouldn't restring it with a different string before a tournament. I wouldn't restring it right before a tournament if it doesn't look like it's going to break. Then you'd have to adjust to the new tension. I'd just stay with it and maybe restring it after the tournament.
Aeroman

lilxjohnyy
10-18-2007, 08:16 PM
dont restring .... if ur not use to ur new string it could throw u off ... dont restring . one time i was using my kfactors ... brokes strings in both had to use a different string and didnt play well

IanRichardson
10-18-2007, 08:35 PM
if you like the strings you have now, i might recommend taking it to your stringer still strung and ask for a tension close to what you have, with the same type of string, so that you don't risk breaking, but you have fresh strings.

I do not think it would be a good idea to try out a new string in the middle of a tournament. Play with something you know you like and at a tension you are comfortable with. Practice is the time to play around with your setup, tournaments are time for what you are used to.

shojun25
10-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Don't restring. If you believe that the string you currently have on your racquet is too loose, then restring with the same string you have on that racquet.

tbini87
10-18-2007, 10:02 PM
the only problem with restringing is that you might not be used to a new tighter tension than before. but other than that there aren't any major drawbacks to getting it restrung. stay with a basic syn gut 16 g at middle tension and you should be alright. good luck.

LPShanet
10-18-2007, 10:09 PM
-I have my first tournament coming up and I'm still using the Synthetic Gut 16g on my Liquidmetal Radical.
-Do you guys think I should restring before a tournament to stay safe or does restringing before give me more of a risk of breaking them?
-And, if yes to the above question, what string do you recommend for some control/ball pocketing, but with a mix of a good amount of power?

The BEST option (which may not be available to you) is to leave your current strings alone, and bring a second racquet freshly strung with the same string at the same tension just in case. If you can't do that, there are only two sensible options:

1. Check your current strings. If there are no notches, then leave them alone! They should show signs of notching before they break. If you've never broken a string in your life, there's a fair chance you won't now.

2. If there is noticeable notching, get your racquet restrung right away with the exact same string at the exact same tension (or maybe even a couple of pounds less to allow for the fact that you've been playing with them for a while) and start playing with it right away, so you're used to it by the time the tournament comes around.

The last thing you want to do is start playing a tournament with a new string or tension or even a string job you've not played with before.

Steve Huff
10-18-2007, 10:15 PM
If you're playing tournaments, you really need to have at least a 2nd racket strung like your main racket--same kind of racket, same string, same tension.

aeroman
10-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Good luck with your tournament. I have one tomorrow and since I'm experimenting with strings I don't have a second racquet that has the same string (and I have 4 racquets). I don't like to cut out strings either, a waste of money since I break strings.
Aeroman

crazy8tiger
10-19-2007, 09:56 PM
Good luck to you too, I will probably not restring since I am looking to maybe get a better string that will get me more ball-pocketing.

Valjean
10-20-2007, 05:02 AM
Good luck to you too, I will probably not restring since I am looking to maybe get a better string that will get me more ball-pocketing.
If you want to stay with the Head line, you should next try Head's FXP.

aeroman
10-20-2007, 05:31 PM
I was 2nd place in my tournament. Don't worry about the string line though. I'd just experiment with stings and find out what you like.
Aeroman