PDA

View Full Version : String Savers In A Full Poly Setup

Hooooon
10-18-2007, 03:22 PM
I'm not asking if they work (they do), just seeing what you guys think about their affect on tension maintenance and playability when it comes to newer, less durable polys. I've been breaking BB ALU 16L Rough in 4 hours and, while I'm trying cheaper alternatives (Big Ace is said to be very durable) I'm planning on using string savers short term in tournaments. Will disallowing the strings to groove hurt tension maintenance? Will extending the life with string savers cause the ALU to become significantly less playable before it breaks? I know I'll have to straighten my strings a bit more, but is there any significant reason not to use them?

Thanks all.

jasoncho92
10-18-2007, 04:45 PM
Well by the time alu breaks, its usually because the strings dug into each other quite a bit, so i would just try them out and see if it helps

shojun25
10-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Putting string savers in any strings will give less spin potential. Other than that, its just a way to make the strings last longer.

downdaline
10-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Putting string savers in any strings will give less spin potential. Other than that, its just a way to make the strings last longer.

Wow really? I was always of the opinion that string savers actually help produce MORE spin, because they raise the string bed.

Pusher
10-18-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm not asking if they work (they do), just seeing what you guys think about their affect on tension maintenance and playability when it comes to newer, less durable polys. I've been breaking BB ALU 16L Rough in 4 hours and, while I'm trying cheaper alternatives (Big Ace is said to be very durable) I'm planning on using string savers short term in tournaments. Will disallowing the strings to groove hurt tension maintenance? Will extending the life with string savers cause the ALU to become significantly less playable before it breaks? I know I'll have to straighten my strings a bit more, but is there any significant reason not to use them?

Thanks all.

Good questions.

I doubt you get good answers. I would try them and see how they work. And no, string savers have no discernable effect on spin.

LPShanet
10-18-2007, 09:04 PM

Thanks all.

The nice thing about experimenting with string savers is that you can add as many or as few as you want. Try out various numbers of savers and see what happens...I'll be curious to hear your report. More significantly, breaking BB ALU after four hours is pretty impressive. Either you hit the snot out of the ball, or there's some other factor involved. What tension are you using? What level player are you?

Hooooon
10-18-2007, 09:23 PM
The nice thing about experimenting with string savers is that you can add as many or as few as you want. Try out various numbers of savers and see what happens...I'll be curious to hear your report. More significantly, breaking BB ALU after four hours is pretty impressive. Either you hit the snot out of the ball, or there's some other factor involved. What tension are you using? What level player are you?

great point, however obvious it may seem to everyone else. for some reason i was automatically going to use the same pattern that i did with syngut 7-8 years ago (half an elastocross/racquet), but i'll try about a third of that. i'm a former mediocre d-1 college player, string at 57, but i've only used the alu for a couple weeks. after breaking it in @4 hrs each of the first two times this set has lasted 5-6 and still going. i think it's because the powerful string brought my sweetspot down, which i'm more adjusted to now (but don't really like).

LPShanet
10-18-2007, 09:38 PM
great point, however obvious it may seem to everyone else. for some reason i was automatically going to use the same pattern that i did with syngut 7-8 years ago (half an elastocross/racquet), but i'll try about a third of that. i'm a former mediocre d-1 college player, string at 57, but i've only used the alu for a couple weeks. after breaking it in @4 hrs each of the first two times this set has lasted 5-6 and still going. i think it's because the powerful string brought my sweetspot down, which i'm more adjusted to now (but don't really like).

Good approach, I'd say. The other thing to ask is who is stringing your racquets? It's pretty tough to burn poly, and poly is fairly abrasion resistant, since it's essentially a monofilament, so it doesn't behave like multis in terms of how it notches. The string savers may help alot. What tension did you use before you tried poly? Are the strings breaking in the center? And how fast did you break your previous strings?

Hooooon
10-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Good approach, I'd say. The other thing to ask is who is stringing your racquets? It's pretty tough to burn poly, and poly is fairly abrasion resistant, since it's essentially a monofilament, so it doesn't behave like multis in terms of how it notches. The string savers may help alot. What tension did you use before you tried poly? Are the strings breaking in the center? And how fast did you break your previous strings?

used gosen polylon since 2002, 15L, lasted @6 hours. yeah, multis are not an option for me (or anyone i know), head intellistring lasted about 2 service games each time i used it...felt great though. i can't remember the last string i broke below the top 5-6 crosses. my stringer is good and uses the same string. thinking about going a little tighter, is that what i'm supposed to do with a thinner guage?

PROTENNIS63
10-19-2007, 03:16 AM
String Savers just prolong the life of strings. I do not see them as producing more spin. I have only found them useful on gut.

LPShanet
10-19-2007, 09:38 AM
used gosen polylon since 2002, 15L, lasted @6 hours. yeah, multis are not an option for me (or anyone i know), head intellistring lasted about 2 service games each time i used it...felt great though. i can't remember the last string i broke below the top 5-6 crosses. my stringer is good and uses the same string. thinking about going a little tighter, is that what i'm supposed to do with a thinner guage?

Well, if 15L gauge Polylon is only lasting 6 hours, then it sounds like about par for the course. You're quite the string breaker, though...I don't know many tour guys who break poly at the rate you do. You sure about your stringer?:) As for gauge and tightness, I'd start out at the same tension, then modify. Some like thinner strings tighter, but some also say they FEEL tighter, so need to drop a couple of pounds. I'd keep it the same first time out, so that you only have one factor varying. Also, if you're breaking a ton of strings, I'm not sure going thinner will make you happy...

Stan
10-19-2007, 10:33 AM
Strings savers in a full poly setup is not a good idea. The string savers will greatly REDUCE spin on copolys like ALU. The copolys rely on movement to produce snap and spin. Installing string savers will greatly reduce this movement as well as the overall effectiveness of your strings. I would stay away from string savers in a full copoly setup.

If you are breaking ALU rapidly, I would suggest trying the 16ga version of Unique Tourna Poly Big Hitter. A great string, with much better durability than ALU. In fact, it is the most durable of all copolys that the USRSA has tested. I think the Tourna Poly Big Hitter is the answer my friend, not stringsavers!

rooski
10-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Strings savers in a full poly setup is not a good idea. The string savers will greatly REDUCE spin on copolys like ALU. The copolys rely on movement to produce snap and spin. Installing string savers will greatly reduce this movement as well as the overall effectiveness of your strings. I would stay away from string savers in a full copoly setup.

If you are breaking ALU rapidly, I would suggest trying the 16ga version of Unique Tourna Poly Big Hitter. A great string, with much better durability than ALU. In fact, it is the most durable of all copolys that the USRSA has tested. I think the Tourna Poly Big Hitter is the answer my friend, not stringsavers!
He's right. String savers on a full poly set up is a bad idea. Most polys have a dull feel to them anyway. Putting stringsavers into full poly adds nothing to the playability...in fact it decreases playability. It also makes for a hideous feel at impact.

Hooooon
10-19-2007, 01:03 PM

That's the insight I was looking for! Thanks! I just got the strings depot poly sampler (1.28 and 1.30) in the mail and am excited to try sppp and big ace. If I don't like any of them a ton better than the alu I'll be sure to try big hitter, as I don't mind losing a little power and spin (might prefer it). if, for some reason, i hate them all then i'll try alu w/savers and the big hitter. My concern with big hitter is tension maintenance, as it's been around a few years. i was also concerned with using a minimal string saver setup because of the inconsistencies in the string bed.
also, for an open player i am a very average string breaker. a lot of guys hit heavier than me and many break poly in a set or so.