PDA

View Full Version : playing in the rain

youngage
10-18-2007, 03:24 PM
hey everyone does playing in the rain affect the stick , will it screw it up after it drys? or will it be fine? i know the strings will be affected but will the racquet?

ProStaff29
10-18-2007, 03:35 PM
Nope it won't but as you mentioned, it will affect the string especially gut...

TheShaun
10-18-2007, 04:07 PM
have you played in the rain? it doesn't take long for the balls to soak up the water and make them very heavy and unplayable.

youngage
10-18-2007, 04:15 PM
look man, we are playing for pride, so water + tennis balls isnt the issue

haha

Supernatural_Serve
10-18-2007, 04:18 PM
not to mention that you will find most hard courts very slippery and dangerous in no time.

autumn_leaf
10-18-2007, 04:18 PM
i love playing in the rain...well my sig prolly tells ya i love rain in general. but the guy is right i hate how heavy the balls get. i light drizzle fine but not anything else. i heard they have water-proof tennis balls, also glow in the dark ones. wonder how they play. anyone?

p.s sorry for the hi-jack...not really =P

youngage
10-18-2007, 04:42 PM
its alright , damn waterproof balls? they must suck haha

u must love rain cuzz where you live pours alot?

well its just raining alot this week

aeroman
10-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Just don't try to stop too suddenly, or else you'll find yourself on the ground and in pain. Happened to my friend while he was playing me in the tournament. But they just HAD to postpone it while I had the advantage...
Aeroman

youngage
10-18-2007, 04:51 PM
haha that sucks.

dont worry i drift, i have these new tech shoes, they are motorized, and i can drift in them

autumn_leaf
10-18-2007, 04:54 PM
i live in new england so the weather has mpd.
and yea, watch your step like aeroman said it's dangerous out on those courts. you know, with balls flying everywhere and everyone getting wet. (yes i'm immature).

aeroman
10-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Have fun with that. Have an ambulance standing by.jk
Aeroman

HyperHorse
10-18-2007, 04:55 PM
Do not play in the rain.
You have been warned.
Unless you want to screw up your knees and ankles for life.
There isn't anything smart about "playing for pride" if you injure yourself.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

lisp
10-18-2007, 04:56 PM
where do you live in new england leaf?

hasn't rained here in boston these past few days its just a bit cold

youngage
10-18-2007, 05:02 PM
i live in toronto and its freaking cold and wet....

anyways, hyper horse i play all sports in the rain and i am still fine...

snoflewis
10-18-2007, 05:09 PM
i live in toronto and its freaking cold and wet....

anyways, hyper horse i play all sports in the rain and i am still fine...

lol...your young age really shows.

you can definitely play some sports in the rain w/o thinking too much about injury...soccer, football, basketball, baseball, etc. but i dont know of any sport that requires more stop and go than tennis. yes...the courts are slippery and you can get hurt, but what i would be more worried about is your arm. anytime the ball is heavier, which it will be due to the rain, it puts more strain on the arm and upper body. more importantly, since the ball is heavier, and puddles will be in the court, the bounces are unexpected, which will definitely contribute to mishits...which just make it harsher for your arm. it seems from your other threads you dont have fully developed strokes...which i would be worried about. you're probably putting a lot of strain on one part of your body already...and if you screw up now..you won't be able to play as well as you might like in the future because of some stupid injury you got.

lol..you can play for pride nad have TE the rest of your life...or you can suck it up and play when its dry. think about it.

youngage
10-18-2007, 05:13 PM
noo i am not going to play if its pouring.... hahaha

i will play like only if its light misty rain.

HyperHorse
10-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Why aren't you playing on indoor courts?
I know they exist in Toronto.

pauliecarzz
10-18-2007, 05:28 PM
if the paint runs, its fake!:mrgreen:

ProStaff29
10-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Playing in the rain is fun.... ball bounds differently and to me it;s a free feeling.

youngage
10-18-2007, 05:38 PM
haha hyper horse where you live?

well mainly because we didnt reserve any in advance

HyperHorse
10-18-2007, 05:47 PM
haha hyper horse where you live?

well mainly because we didnt reserve any in advance

What does it say under my avatar?
*Slaps you on the forehead*

youngage
10-18-2007, 05:49 PM
ohhh sorry, i take it youve been to toronto?

is really damn cold now. too

lucky you freakin australia ia like hell hot all year

HyperHorse
10-18-2007, 06:03 PM
No, i just have some canadian friends...
Internet makes the world a small place.

youngage
10-18-2007, 06:06 PM
hahaha i see... would i be one of them? lmao

thundaga
10-18-2007, 06:06 PM
australia is definitely not hot all year, esp not in melbourne! tho we are the middle of a drought so not much rain... our porous courts are gonna struggle during summer

tbini87
10-18-2007, 08:57 PM
have you played in the rain? it doesn't take long for the balls to soak up the water and make them very heavy and unplayable.

not to mention that you will find most hard courts very slippery and dangerous in no time.

that is what i found out very quickly the first time i tried to play in a drizzle. didn't go so well, and i don't think i will be trying it again any time soon.

phucng_10
10-18-2007, 11:10 PM
Playing in rain is definitely a no no. Plenty of reasons, no traction for shoes to grip onto the courts, ball gets heavy and water gets soaked into the ball, grip gets wet, your clothes gets wet, socks gets wet, almost everything gets wet. I just wouldn't recommend anybody to play tennis in wet weathers. It'll mess up your arm badly due to the weight of the ball w/ water.

AceofBase
10-19-2007, 02:40 AM
Rain equal death, one of my friend die in the rain playing tennis.

Chas
10-19-2007, 03:38 AM
I live in Scotland and play all the year round, so we have damp conditions for half the year - so plenty of experience to go on.

We recently put down a polymeric surface (10mm cushioned rubber on a pervious ashphalt base) - similar but cheaper than Rebound Ace used in Australian Open. Grip is actually slightly better in damp conditions, so no problems there.

The balls get heavier and the felt gets knackered (excuse the technical term) faster.

I play with multifilament strings and they die much faster after playing in the damp. They absorb some of the water and go brittle. I've tried a range of mutlifilaments eg. Yonex 850, Wilson Extreme etc - all the same. Poly's would be fine in the damp, but are too harsh for me. So I go with the Yonex strings which are fairly cheap for us and get restrung about once a month.

Not sure if that helps - but at least it's another viewpoint.