PDA

View Full Version : Adding weight with coins (K95).

JohnP
10-18-2007, 04:50 PM
I purchased some lead tape that should be arriving soon to customize my new K-Factor Six One 95s. In the meantime, I was messing around it. I was originally going to add some lead tape to the handle but for the hell of it I took off the butt-cap, and saw that there's two small openings into the handle, and the handle is filled solid with some kind of foam.

Anyway, on a hunch I stick a nickel in the butt and put a cap back on. I also found that I could stick a dime inside the actual butt cap which is a nice snug fit.

I also found that I could put in a quarter in place of a nickel, although it's a slightly tighter fit. Once the butt-cap is on, the quarter or nickel is secure in place and doesn't move around as far as I can tell (as long as you make sure it's centered when you put it on, it stays there) although I haven't played tennis with it so it may move around with heavy activity. It may very well rattle/move around with vibration from striking a ball but we'll see.

According to the US Mint, a quarter is 5.5g (a nickel is 5g) and a dime is 2.2g. So, along with adding a tournagrip (which weighs around 7g as far as the best estimations give, I have added somewhere around 15g to the handle area. The weight balance (using a finger balance measurement) has moved maybe a touch more than half an inch, which I believe translates into 5-6 points more headlight.

I haven't hit with it yet, so I don't know if I even like the different balance or added weight, but I was curious if there were any negatives to adding weight in this way. It seems like a pretty simple/easy/efficient way to do it. Any thoughts?

TheShaun
10-18-2007, 05:05 PM
i have added weight to the handle with pennies and lead tape. i was able to tape together 2 pennies and fit them on the back side of the butt cap as well as adding some strips of lead to the opening under the butt cap. all you need to do now is make your own balance board to get a better idea of the balance point.

JohnP
10-18-2007, 05:12 PM
Looking around it looks like a tournagrip weighs more like 5g. Also, looking at the specs from the US Mint, it looks like a silver dollar would probably fit where the quarter is, and weighs another 2.5g, if I decide I need it.

JohnP
10-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Scratch that, Silver dollar definitely does not fit.

cukoo
10-18-2007, 05:50 PM
How much does a penny and a nickel weight?

HyperHorse
10-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Kids, just wait until you get your lead tape, OK?

JohnP
10-20-2007, 11:45 PM
For anyone interested:

I have applied 4g of lead tape to the 10-2 positions of my racquets. In each butt there is a quarter and two dimes. With a tournagrip, the racquets weigh ~13oz and are 12points head light.

I was able to hit with them yesterday and the added weight feels great, the lead tape in the 10 and 2 position did seem to sweeten up the upper hoop area where I tend to hit alot of balls. The coins seemed to work fine as well, they fit snugly in a K95 and don't seem to move around much at all.

JohnP
10-20-2007, 11:47 PM

So is there a particular reason you were planning to give for using lead tape rather than coins?

JohnP
10-20-2007, 11:48 PM
How much does a penny and a nickel weight?

Here's where I got my info:

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/index.cfm?flash=yes&action=coin_specifications

Deuce
10-21-2007, 12:33 AM
I've used a U.S. 50 cent coin both on the inside and outside of the butt cap, and found it works well.

Adding weight behind your hand (i.e. in the butt cap area) is essential if the goal is to achieve a more headlight balance.
Adding weight under your hand (i.e. on the handle) will only increase the weight of the racquet overall.

One little tip on using coins in/on the butt cap: use some silicone to keep them in place.

Paul Goldstein
10-21-2007, 12:39 AM
just think, your adding value to your frame with the spare change. when you eventually sell it on **** you will get a ton for the extra change. also if you need meter change your all set

ananda
10-21-2007, 07:56 AM
using coins is a gr8 idea, since i dont have lead tape here.
it'll work gr8 for the nblade which i need to make more HL.

however, wondering how i can add weight to frame of my PS95.

edit: just added two 9gm (indian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Indian_coins)) coins to outside of buttcap. balance is now closer to my ps95. will try it tomorrow and see how it hits. overall weight is still less.

akwila
10-21-2007, 08:55 AM
Try with some 100$ banknotes!

757tennis
10-21-2007, 09:34 AM
im looking to make my KZen team headlight but i have no clue about how much lead tape i should put in the handle can anyone help??

bertrevert
10-21-2007, 03:43 PM
The Aus $2 coin is a small fatty that fits absolutely snug in a Radical buttcap - actually held there by the plastic no further adhesive necessary. It adds about $2 to the feel of the racquet...

JohnP
10-21-2007, 04:29 PM
The Aus $2 coin is a small fatty that fits absolutely snug in a Radical buttcap - actually held there by the plastic no further adhesive necessary. It adds about $2 to the feel of the racquet...

Interesting. The US Quarter is just about a big as a coin can be (in diameter) and still fit in the butt of my K95. I could, however be a bit thicker and still fit okay. As is, one Quarter and two Dimes is about as much as I can get in there.

User Name
10-21-2007, 04:40 PM
i used a half dollar and love it. ill get some pictures up l8er tonite

bertrevert
10-21-2007, 05:42 PM
This thread is pure gold, really it is:
http://www.mundanebehavior.org/images/images-v2n3/coins-web.jpg

Just weighed the $2 AUD - it is 7 grams. Two of those in the butt (14 grams) and yer cooking.

HyperHorse
10-21-2007, 06:20 PM
So is there a particular reason you were planning to give for using lead tape rather than coins?

Coins are too large and cumbersome to use to add weight..
Plus coins are what you use to buy stuff, right?
So get the leadtape, which is more likely to stay in place...
And literally "save" your money from being stuck to your racquet.

ananda
10-21-2007, 10:00 PM
thanks for the tip, folks.
i added 2 nine gram coins to outside of buttcap of my nblade which was i was unable to use cos the balance was v diff from my PS95. Now with 18gms on the butt, it felt much more comfortable.
i was actually able to knock around quite a bit with it.
(i dont have lead tape here!!!)

paulfreda
10-22-2007, 05:24 AM
I do like the idea of using coins to setup a frame. But ......
Go to any tire balancing shop and they have lead weights in 5, 10, 15, 30 gram increments. They even have double sided tape on the back of them.
Cost is negligible. For those of us who add a lot of weight to a frame it is a good option which I learned from our TWF compatriot Anirut.

But I have found that very small amounts of weight are sometimes all that is needed to find that last step to just the right feel. My present AG300s have 3 strips 6 inches of black duct tape at 10 to 7 on each side and this is what I needed to keep the hoop from getting battered at net by hard hitters. [I also have some 40 grams in the handle. The AG300 is just too light at stock.]

Cheers

Bubba
10-22-2007, 06:21 AM
I purchased some lead tape that should be arriving soon to customize my new K-Factor Six One 95s. In the meantime, I was messing around it. I was originally going to add some lead tape to the handle but for the hell of it I took off the butt-cap, and saw that there's two small openings into the handle, and the handle is filled solid with some kind of foam.

Anyway, on a hunch I stick a nickel in the butt and put a cap back on. I also found that I could stick a dime inside the actual butt cap which is a nice snug fit.

I also found that I could put in a quarter in place of a nickel, although it's a slightly tighter fit. Once the butt-cap is on, the quarter or nickel is secure in place and doesn't move around as far as I can tell (as long as you make sure it's centered when you put it on, it stays there) although I haven't played tennis with it so it may move around with heavy activity. It may very well rattle/move around with vibration from striking a ball but we'll see.

According to the US Mint, a quarter is 5.5g (a nickel is 5g) and a dime is 2.2g. So, along with adding a tournagrip (which weighs around 7g as far as the best estimations give, I have added somewhere around 15g to the handle area. The weight balance (using a finger balance measurement) has moved maybe a touch more than half an inch, which I believe translates into 5-6 points more headlight.

I haven't hit with it yet, so I don't know if I even like the different balance or added weight, but I was curious if there were any negatives to adding weight in this way. It seems like a pretty simple/easy/efficient way to do it. Any thoughts?

An inch = 8 pt's... each 1/8 inch = 1 pt. If sticking with the coins, best to ensure they aren't going to rattle or vibrate. Would HATE a frame that rattles in the handle.

Bubba
10-22-2007, 06:25 AM

I second this remark. Next thing someone is going to try is lead fishing weights pounded flat.