PDA

View Full Version : Dampener?

cukoo
10-18-2007, 04:26 PM
IS there a rule as to where a dampener can be placed? Would it be legal to place it on the side of the frame or middle?

Also, where do most pros like Agassi or Sampras place their's, above the last cross or below?
Thanks

Bundey
10-18-2007, 04:40 PM
It is illegal to have it above the last cross. So, yes my understanding is that on the sides would be illegal. BTW, why would you want it in the middle?

cukoo
10-18-2007, 04:45 PM
No just a hypothetical question. I just wanted to know where it was legal for the dampener can be placed.

757tennis
10-18-2007, 04:55 PM
ive seen someone at my clinic that has 2 dampeners: one above the first cross and one below the last cross is that illegal?

Bundey
10-18-2007, 04:58 PM
ive seen someone at my clinic that has 2 dampeners: one above the first cross and one below the last cross is that illegal?

Yes. Can't have anything above the first cross, although unless you are playing some serious tournaments, nobody will get called for it.

Weedcutter
10-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Also if it falls off during a point. You lose that point

LPShanet
10-18-2007, 08:14 PM
IS there a rule as to where a dampener can be placed? Would it be legal to place it on the side of the frame or middle?

Also, where do most pros like Agassi or Sampras place their's, above the last cross or below?
Thanks

Actually, what people are telling you so far on this post is incorrect per the official rules. The actual rule reads that the dampener must be placed "outside the pattern of crossed strings". That means you CAN put it above the height of the bottom cross, as long as it's on the outside edge (meaning outside the last main on the sides or above the top cross). However, it is illegal to place one in the middle of the frame (part of the same ruling as the spaghetti string prohibition).

So to answer your second question, most pros place theirs below the bottom cross, because they CAN'T place it above it unless it's at the top or side of the frame.

cukoo
10-18-2007, 08:17 PM
^Thanks for clarifying. Did Sampras place his O dampeners above the bottom cross?

ProStaff Legend
10-18-2007, 08:29 PM
you can hav as many damps as u want as long as they arent in the crossed section

Mr. Hokey
10-18-2007, 08:30 PM
wow. if its illegal... why would he place it there.

seriously now.

LPShanet
10-18-2007, 08:35 PM
^Thanks for clarifying. Did Sampras place his O dampeners above the bottom cross?

No, he didn't. As I said, that placement is illegal. He placed it below the bottom cross, as do most people.

tennis_hand
10-18-2007, 09:51 PM
It is illegal to have it above the last cross. So, yes my understanding is that on the sides would be illegal. BTW, why would you want it in the middle?

he wants the ball to hit the damper. so he can hit like federer.