PDA

View Full Version : Bad line calls hopefully a thing of the past

topspin
11-14-2004, 10:13 PM
Autoref is the newest system used to make line calls. It was being used for an indoor tennis event last week in Quebec city and it was being watched closely to see how well it does. It is precise within 4mm, which I'm willing to bet is a lot more precise than line judges. So I'm happy to report that the progression with the system that began with shotspot or hawkeye continues to improve as it should and is now getting a real condideration for use in pro matches.

chad shaver
11-14-2004, 10:26 PM
Interesting.... Have they made any mention about the details of installing such a technology?

topspin
11-14-2004, 10:44 PM
I only saw a news report so far. They mentioned that high profile reps from the WTA were there to study it and they mentioned that so far it was working flawlessly. It's a Canadian company that is developing Autoref, and I'm not sure if they have a link to the Hawkeye or Shotspot systems, but it is a newer system using more cameras and higher definition images.

Datacipher
11-15-2004, 12:23 AM
i thought Hawkeye was accurate to 3mm...

bigserving
11-15-2004, 08:11 AM
Bad line calls? What bad line calls?

Rickson
11-15-2004, 08:26 AM
Just give the chair umpires shotpot/hawkeye replays and fire those people who crouch at the baseline.