PDA

View Full Version : Tips on how to beat each one of my friends

757tennis
10-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Friend 1: hits topspin, deep shots, consistently good serve, uses slice when in trouble or trying to close out point, goes for too much when im out of position, runs down lots of shots, backhand not very powerful, forhand strong

Tips on friend 1?

Friend 2: hits little topspin, little pace on first serve, even less pace on second serve, mishits turn into winners (very annoying), horrible on the run, good volleyer, doesnt hit with enough pace to sustain a moderate baseline rally, uses strange slice backspin sidespin shot, when he gets aggravated often throws matches

Tips on friend 2?

Bundey
10-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Well, friend #1 is just unbeatable, so don't try.

Friend #2 seems pretty easy to beat. Don't let his tactics annoy you. Run him around the court and he will be done sooo quickly.

757tennis
10-18-2007, 04:59 PM
whatever you say bundey

downdaline
10-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Hahaha when reading ur intro, i actually tot that Friend #1 vs Friend #2 would be very interesting, bcos they seem to cancel each other out.

Friend #1 - Strong Baseliner but has difficulty controlling aggression, hence might be easy to annoy.

Friend #2 - Sounds like he might be a good netplayer and weird spins are good against baseliners.

Anyway....

Beating Friend #1 - He sounds like a typical baseliner. Im not sure how good his passing shots are, but u could try approaching the net. One thing that can always work against baseliners is varying the amount of spin on ur shots. Hit topspins, flats, slices, sidespins - ANYTHING to throw him off rhythm and make him hit shallow (this works if u use slice on him and he tries to over topspin), then use his shallow return as an opportunity to approach. Use the drop-shot, bcos it's a shot that puts him in a tight position, and judging from ur description, he's not very well composed. Remember how Michael Chang beat Lendl?? He threw Lendl off his game, made him get real frustrated. That's how u'll beat this guy.

Beating friend #2 - Patience is the key. Dont start walking away even when he mishits. As my coach always said, the rally isnt over until someone calls the score. Keep ur shots deep and move him side to side, this'll stop him from approaching and using his good volleys. BEAT HIS WEIRD SHOT. Once u find a way to do it, keep at it so that he'll stop using it. I suggest just taking it flat with little spin and just smacking it deep for starters.

By the way, u also didnt say what UR strengths are. It's important to use ur strengths and pit them against their weaknesses.

757tennis
10-18-2007, 07:18 PM
my strengths are an aggressive topspin forehand where i can easily move ppl around, backhand is more of a defensive shot (used to move opponents around) sometimes gets me out of trouble, have stopped using slice because my racquet frame is wide and i would always shank the ball when i try to slice. can run down everything mostly play from the baseline

downdaline
10-18-2007, 07:31 PM
^^^ Play like Gonzalez. Move the guy around and set him up for ur forehand. If u are a baseliner and u're playing against Friend #1 then u've got a difficult task, bcos it's strength against strength and he wins. U could just try targetting his backhand, and keep pounding it there until he floats one short and then hit a winner.

Solat
10-18-2007, 09:22 PM
play your game and if they beat you shake their hand and say "too good"

jman
10-19-2007, 01:56 AM
Friend 1: I always like to play to the opponents strengths to expose their weaknesses. In your case, I would play your opponents forehand wide, then hit to his backhand mostof the time. If he floats them up, take advantage and come to net.

Friend 2:
Just stay consistent, he sounds like a low percentage player, so if you keep it in, he'll eventually make the mistake.