PDA

View Full Version : Spin Serve and 18x20?

cukoo
10-18-2007, 08:21 PM
Is it just me or is it significantly harder to apply spin on the 2nd serve with an 18x20 racquet?
Thanks

ProStaff Legend
10-18-2007, 08:27 PM
all else being the same, yes. but every racquet is different so it would depend on the playing characteristics + user technique

Mr. Hokey
depends on the frame, the pc600 is still one of the best serving racquets i've used.

LPShanet
Is it just me or is it significantly harder to apply spin on the 2nd serve with an 18x20 racquet?
Thanks

Some feel it more than others, but according to the theory behind the different string patterns, that's completely true. A more open pattern (such as 16 x 19) is more spin friendly.

phucng_10
10-18-2007, 11:07 PM
I don't think it's harder. It just depends on how you much or how high your brush the ball, that's what gives it the spin.

daddy.dirtsurfer
10-18-2007, 11:10 PM
I can serve with a curveball with Redondo Mid. I serve like a boris becker but not exactly the same motion....have my own serve style.

keithchircop
10-18-2007, 11:32 PM
It is a bit trickier to apply heavy spin on serves. But that's more than made up for by the increase in control on flat serves.

KOtennis
10-18-2007, 11:38 PM
yes, its harder.

but i cheat, i use string saver on my nBlade.

awsome kick serves :)

kalic
10-19-2007, 12:48 AM
I have good spin on serve with 18x20, but very weak on groundstrokes. Just my experience...

KristianAberg
10-19-2007, 01:04 AM
I play with WIlson ProStaff Classic 6.1 OS which is 18X20 and i cannot say that I have any trouble getting spin. I hit both forehand and 2hbh with heavy spin as well as kick serves. Yesterday I played with a Babolat PDC and with the more open string pattern my spin was even better so of course there is a difference. BUT, before changing racquets just to get some spin, you should first consider your tecnique, and the strings you are using. Thinner strings (17 or 18g) increases spin alot for me, and strings like Babolat Hurricane Pro (that is not round but rather octagone-shaped) could also increase spin.

keithchircop
10-19-2007, 01:12 AM
I play with WIlson ProStaff Classic 6.1 OS which is 18X20 and i cannot say that I have any trouble getting spin. I hit both forehand and 2hbh with heavy spin as well as kick serves. Yesterday I played with a Babolat PDC and with the more open string pattern my spin was even better so of course there is a difference. BUT, before changing racquets just to get some spin, you should first consider your tecnique, and the strings you are using. Thinner strings (17 or 18g) increases spin alot for me, and strings like Babolat Hurricane Pro (that is not round but rather octagone-shaped) could also increase spin.

It's not the 18x20 pattern per se, it's the spacing between the strings. On an 18x20 OS the strings will be spaced out as much as on a 16x18 mid. Therefore, you'll get good spin. That's why generating massive spin on a 16x19 OS is a piece of cake.

KristianAberg
10-19-2007, 01:21 AM
It's not the 18x20 pattern per se, it's the spacing between the strings. On an 18x20 OS the strings will be spaced out as much as on a 16x18 mid. Therefore, you'll get good spin. That's why generating massive spin on a 16x19 OS is a piece of cake.

I stand corrected! In the case with my Wilsons, I perceive the string pattern as very dense in the area where the sweet spot is located. When taking a look at the density (or whatever it's called in English) of the string pattern on my Wilsons (18X20) around the sweet spot are and compare it to a Babolat Pure Drive (16X19), the string pattern is alot denser on the Wilsons so in this case I would say that there definitely IS a difference between the PDC and my Wilsons. But I totally agree with you, it's not the number of mains/crosses per se that makes the difference.