PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Z Drive Lite - is it right?

sweetslice
10-18-2007, 11:49 PM
Has anyone tried this racket? I have an AeroPro Ddrive Cortex but while playing today against a hard hitter I felt like it was made of lead. I believe I have a short wristy swing and maybe I should try a lighter racket. I picked up a friend's Wilson Prostaff Torch once (255g) and really surprised myself with it. I know I should probably be looking at my technique cos the APDC isn't that heavy but I seriously doubt it will ever change much. Am also thinking about the new Pure Storm. Which would you go for if you were me?

Alexio92
10-21-2007, 08:07 AM
I have tried it, I liked just a bit too light for me however I did like serving with it for some reason or another. I am uk 8.1 which is 4.0 in usa, and I have a quite wierd serve action but it was good, ground strokes was ok hitting against players who hit the ball softer but dont know about harder as I didnt play any. The aero strike played very similar imo, just was a bit stiffer.

sweetslice
10-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I demoed the aero strike as well and found it to be really good - albeit a bit tinny. The weight was about spot on and I could really whip them, but I never tried it against any harder hitters. I think the Z drive lite might be a bit too light tho but will defo give it a demo run if I get the chance.

LPShanet
10-23-2007, 11:18 AM
I have tried it, I liked just a bit too light for me however I did like serving with it for some reason or another. I am uk 8.1 which is 4.0 in usa, and I have a quite wierd serve action but it was good, ground strokes was ok hitting against players who hit the ball softer but dont know about harder as I didnt play any. The aero strike played very similar imo, just was a bit stiffer.

Actually, just for reference, you're probably a 3.0 in the US. As far as the conversion charts go, an 8.1 is like a 3.0 in the USA. A USA 4.0 would be a 6 in the UK.

LPShanet
10-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I demoed the aero strike as well and found it to be really good - albeit a bit tinny. The weight was about spot on and I could really whip them, but I never tried it against any harder hitters. I think the Z drive lite might be a bit too light tho but will defo give it a demo run if I get the chance.

Demo the Z Drive Lite and the Pure Storm and see which you like better. The Pure Storm has a slightly more traditional feel. Or you could add a small amount of weight to the handle of your Aeropro Drive. I know this sounds counterintuitive, but it actually makes it play lighter/more maneuverable, since it becomes head light.

If you switch to a racquet that's lighter overall (like the the Drive Z) be VERY careful of injury. Light racquets are a known exacerbator of injury, especially in those with less than perfect form. The last thing you need is tennis elbow.

Alexio92
10-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Actually, just for reference, you're probably a 3.0 in the US. As far as the conversion charts go, an 8.1 is like a 3.0 in the USA. A USA 4.0 would be a 6 in the UK.

What would the criteria for a 3.0 and a 4.0 be?

LPShanet
10-23-2007, 03:01 PM

Try this link from the ITF for guidance. It's a conversion chart from the ITN system to our NTRP, among others. It should help.

http://www.itftennis.com/itn/news/newsarticle.asp?articleid=12038

LPShanet
10-23-2007, 03:04 PM

And for those uninitiated, the US NTRP system goes from 1.0 (total beginner) to 7.0 (ATP/WTA Pro). The ITF's International Tennis Number (ITN) system goes from high to low: 1 (ATP/WTA Pro) to 10.3 (beginner in a modified environment).

sweetslice
10-24-2007, 01:04 AM
I have actually been playing well with my aero pro lately so will stick with it. Actually I think I'll get the new pure storm as well but not before giving it a thorough demo run. I had the old storm and liked it but it was slow thru the air for its weight - prob cos it had a highish swingweight and was a little more head heavy than the APDC. The new one's specs look perfect except the paint job on it is nowhere near as good as on the old one! Its hard to get what you want a.

Alexio92
10-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Try this link from the ITF for guidance. It's a conversion chart from the ITN system to our NTRP, among others. It should help.

http://www.itftennis.com/itn/news/newsarticle.asp?articleid=12038

Wow, I would really think I am higher than that. It might be to do with the fact everytime I play a tourument here(The only way to get ratings up obv.) it is fixed in my area and I always get people rated below me (9.1-) then someone really high (6.2+) therefor I have no real oppertunity to get my rating up. I would still be a 9.2 if not for playing elsewhere. Anyway enough about that,
Yeah, I demoed the aero strike as well and found it to be really good - albeit a bit tinny. The weight was about spot on and I could really whip them, but I never tried it against any harder hitters.
I agree totally, tinny is the word i was looking for in my last post.