PDA

View Full Version : Tennisplayer.net and Hitechtennis.com??

pmata814
10-19-2007, 05:02 AM
does hitechtennis.com just have videos of pros or does it actually have instruction as well? Does it have any suggestions as far as how to practice, like drills and such?

What about tennisplayer.net? Any users that have tried both? Is it worth the extra $50?

I also looked at tennisone.com but it is really slow on my computer for some reason.

Thanks in advance.

D-man
10-19-2007, 09:21 AM
tennisplayer has drills. hitechtennis focus on actual stroke mechanics.

wihamilton
10-19-2007, 09:48 AM
I am not a member of hi-techtennis.com but from what everyone says on this forum it sounds like an excellent site. Also, Jeff's comments on this board are always insightful. I probably will subscribe sometime in the near future.

I am a member of tennisplayer.net and it is a fantastic site. I have learned a ton from John Yandell and the other contributors (one of which is Jeff -- great article on the windshield wiper forehand).

BeHappy
10-19-2007, 10:23 AM
tennisplayer has drills. hitechtennis focus on actual stroke mechanics.

what ?

D-man
10-19-2007, 11:03 AM
what ?

what what?

BeHappy
10-19-2007, 11:15 AM
what what?

tennisplayer is mostly drills?WTF?How the hell did you come to that conclusion?

cliff
10-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Tennisplayer has loads of good content covering all aspects of tennis.

But www.procomparetennis.net is free and has loads of clips and some instruction. I would try this out first

Big Fed
10-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Ive used both.. TEnnis player is great cause if has so many articles and vidz. But after like two er three months you go through most of it cause they only add a few articles per month. I have high tech now.. I has tons of articles on pro strokes and what you can do to add some of their techniques to ur strokes. I'd subscribe to tennisplay for a month or two then switch to hi tech.

D-man
10-19-2007, 11:43 AM
tennisplayer is mostly drills?WTF?How the hell did you come to that conclusion?

How the hell did you come to the conclusion that the statement "X has drills" means "X is mostly drills." Hmm? If I say "this car has wheels" it does not mean "this car is mostly wheels."

BeHappy
10-19-2007, 11:57 AM
How the hell did you come to the conclusion that the statement "X has drills" means "X is mostly drills." Hmm? If I say "this car has wheels" it does not mean "this car is mostly wheels."

yeah but ''mostly drills'' is just totally wrong and you know it.It's a lie.

Just to give a few facts and self-promote Tennisplayer a little:

We have OVER 20,000 stroke clips of OVER 60 top players. We also have an extensive high speed video archive with Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, and many other top players, again the largest and most comprehensive.

We also have more FULL length illustrated articles than any other site, closing in on 400. I'm not talking about a picture or two and a few words here--I mean detailed thoughtful articles--and our flash animations are at a higher level of quality than anywhere else in the world with the exception of Jeff's site Hi-techtennis.com, which has an equally high standard.

We also have articles from 15 coaches who have worked with pro players who have won one or more Grand Slam titles. No other site can approach this. Robert Lansdorp, Rick Macci, Nick Bollettieiri, to name a few.

So far as video analysis, there is a series of articles in our Advanced Tennis section that comprehensively analyzes and explicates exactly what the pro players do on all the strokes, using super slow mo footage available nowhere else.

So if you are wondering, yes, I think Tennisplayer is the premier resource currently out there.

Tenniswarehouse did a mailing offering a $20 rebate on a year subscription a while back, so since the topic came up again, I'm happy to honor that. If you subscribe at the regular price, just send me an email, and use this direct address: videotennis@metricmail.com. I'll rebate you the $20.

I think there is something to be said for all the sites, including Heath's VTA.
Dave Smith is a good friend and excellent writer, as are some of the others at Tennisone, such as Doug King and Jim McLennan.

Jeff's site is very focused on key issues in pro strokes and has wonderful video examples. He also writes for us.

It's a new golden age for tennis instructional info.

Jonnyf
10-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Hi-tech is mostly stroke mechanics including "How to feed". However, It's an awesome site Jeff really knows his stuff and his video captures are trully incrediable.

spot
10-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Like the other poster said tennisplayer.net is good value for the first month but is FAR too expensive on an ongoing basis.

pmata814
10-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks to all. I'm gonna try Hitech.

JohnYandell
10-19-2007, 11:42 PM
Value is always going to be in the eye of the consumer, but here are a few points about Tennisplayer that may have been slightly confused in this thread.

First the monthly option is $19.95 and a year is $99.95. If anyone has gotten through all the material on the site in around a month or two someone needs to study their brain as a new model for learning theory.

There are around 30,000 clips now of over 65 players. To get thru that in a month you'd have to look at 1000 per day. If you studied 50 clips (carefully) per day, a prodigious feat, it'd take you close to two years.

As for the articles there are close to 400 now. There are articles from 15 coaches that worked with players who won Slams. Most of the articles run from 2500-5000 words. (500 words is a long article in Tennis the print magazine.) The average article has 10-20 original animations of technique.

Again, if anyone can get through all those in a month or so, I am in awe. Many of the writers are available to answer questions in our Forum as well.

Finally, we put up 6 new articles per month minimum and usually 500-800 new clips. The one thing we don't do right now is drills, so not sure where that comes from.

Tennismastery
10-20-2007, 06:06 AM
Value is always going to be in the eye of the consumer, but here are a few points about Tennisplayer that may have been slightly confused in this thread.

First the monthly option is $19.95 and a year is $99.95. If anyone has gotten through all the material on the site in around a month or two someone needs to study their brain as a new model for learning theory.

There are around 30,000 clips now of over 65 players. To get thru that in a month you'd have to look at 1000 per day. If you studied 50 clips (carefully) per day, a prodigious feat, it'd take you close to two years.

As for the articles there are close to 400 now. There are articles from 15 coaches that worked with players who won Slams. Most of the articles run from 2500-5000 words. (500 words is a long article in Tennis the print magazine.) The average article has 10-20 original animations of technique.

Again, if anyone can get through all those in a month or so, I am in awe. Many of the writers are available to answer questions in our Forum as well.

Finally, we put up 6 new articles per month minimum and usually 500-800 new clips. The one thing we don't do right now is drills, so not sure where that comes from.

Even as I write for a competing tennis web site, I must mention that TennisPlayer.net is truly a fantastic site. John has put together a great list of writers who know their tennis inside and out. As a student of the game myself, I study every thing I can. And even as I believe TennisOne.com is one of the premier sites in the world, (a site that has a broad range of video clips, a library of around 500 lesson articles, and some unique things like stroke-comparison engine), I admire John for his dedication to producing a site that has the heart of learning tennis in the right place!

I would hope that rather than discuss the demerits of one site over another, everyone would look at the opportunities of learning from each of these sites all that each can offer. As we all learn with subtle differences, having a number of chances to learn improves our chances of reaching our tennis playing potential.

My suggestion is to sign up for each site. Really, it would only cost you around $150 a year to sign up for all of them, certainly less than the average cost of three $60/hour private lessons. Yet, within all of the sites, you will be floored by the fact that you would get well over 1000 tennis lessons, probably more than 40,000 video clips, and a wealth of other tennis information.

Among my students who study tennis via these opportunities are far better prepared to learn than those who only take the lessons.

We live in an age where we have all the resources to learn. Yet, so few take the time nor invest small amounts of money in learning all they can. It amazes me even to this day how many players I talk to at lectures, clinics, workshops, tournaments, etc., don't study tennis through this medium.

Again, I believe all the sites have something to offer. (Tons of stuff to offer!)

Go out and learn!

D-man
10-20-2007, 07:52 AM
The one thing we don't do right now is drills, so not sure where that comes from.

Come on man, you have at least some drills, don't make me look like a dick-head. Not only do you have these articles:

The Volley: Drills and More Drills
Stage 2: Additional On Court Drills
Quickness and Agility Drills
More Quickness and Agility Drills
Ball and Racket Drills
More Ball and Racket Drills

I remember seeing several more drill type activities in other articles, with videos.

JohnYandell
10-20-2007, 10:22 AM
Well, one of those involves hitting tennis balls...the other are all parts of Pat Etcheberry's cross training program.

Nothing personal--the only point I'm trying to make is that our focus is on detailed, high level instructional information and analysis. I get requests for drills all the time, and plan eventually to develop a section.

But right now understanding the mysteries of technique, point play and the mental game is our focus.